“Perfect location and comfortable rooms”

Grand Hotel Minerva
Ranked #50 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The hotel was very close to the train station, which was very helpful for us because we only stayed one night and left on a train for Venice the next afternoon. It is about 5 minutes walk from the main cathedral in Florence and all of the sights. We got two rooms for our family and both were reasonably spacious, very clean, and well-equipped. My bed was very comfortable and the bathroom much larger than expected. The roof area was also very beautiful - we came in winter so the pool was closed but the roof was still open to wander around and look out over the city. My only small complaint would be that the decor of the rooms was relatively bare compared to the pictures on the website.

Room Tip: We had rooms looking over the plaza and it was beautiful. No street noise at night but you can hear...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lan W
Write a ReviewReviews (2,028)

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Within waking distance from train station and set on picturesque piazza. We especially enjoyed the bed linens. The balcony room had view of Duomo. Enjoyable, tasty but expensive dinner and room. Full breakfast included.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank 401cottagegirl
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Florence is amazing and this hotel is in a fantastic location, with views of the Cathedral etc. However, this hotel didn't quite live up to our expectations.

It was clean, functional and the staff were courteous but I felt it lacked the Italian sparkle I've come to expect. The decor was a little tired and old fashioned and I feel as though you are paying a premium for the location alone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mamapeach
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Guests,
thank you for having chosen our property for your stay in Florence and for your nice words of appreciation of our staff and cleanliness. I am sorry that the décor of our premises did not fully match your expectations. I am just inviting our mutual readers to check the pictures shot by our guests on this same website and those on our website so they can have a precise idea of what to expect. As to the price it is a fact that hotels downtown Florence cannot be expected to be the less expensive accommodation in town, especially in September, but would also like to add that in addition to its very convenient location our hotel features a nice open air swimming pool on its rooftop with really great views of Florence, which is something unique in the city.
I trust you will consider our property for a future stay in our city.

With my best regards,

Filippo Burroni – General Manager

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was my 2nd stay at the Grand Hotel Minerva, my first being 5 years ago during my first trip to Florence. Now, having more hotels to compare it to, I can say that this hotel is a very nice hotel. The breakfast buffet provides a good variety of pastries, cereals, breads, juices, and other items, including eggs, bacon and sausage. The room (207) was large enough with a real double bed (not 2 twin beds locked together), and a pretty ample bathroom, especially by European standards. The light could have been a bit brighter in the bathroom, but was adequate.

The service at the hotel was quite good. For example, one morning, I noticed that my TV was not working for some reason. I told the front desk about the issue, and by the time I came back in the evening, not only was my TV (a good sized flat screen) working again, there was also a tray of fruit on my desk!

The location (very close to the main train station) is a great springboard for further travels in Tuscany, and is very convenient to many great restaurants, shopping, and the historic sites of Florence. Also, being an early riser, the 7 AM church bells (from Santa Maria Novella) are no bother to me. In all, I was very pleased with my 6 night stay, and will likely stay there in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GaryvM
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind words. It is really great to read that you have remembered of us after 5 years and many hotel visited in the meantime. A special thank for mentioning our service and for your understanding that things may stop working properly and appreciating our house engineer’s work.
As to double beds, I think it fair to advise our common readers that several of our double rooms actually have two twins locked together, so if having a single mattress is an issue, please let us know as early as you can: we will do our best to comply with your request
We all look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, hopefully before 5 more years pass by!

With my kindest regards,

Filippo Burroni – General Manager

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The hotel is located in the heart of Florence, my husband and I didn't use any kind of transport at all!! All landmarks are at a walking distance..
When we checked-in they informed us that we have been upgraded to the biggest Suite in the Hotel, it was a great surprise but once we reached the Suite and saw the view.. OMG!! it was just Amazing, you can see from the window the full Piazza Santa Maria Novella and everyday at around 4:00 or 5:00 PM there was a group of very talented musicians who came and played very nice music in the Piazza :)
The staff is wonderful & helpful, the breakfast was good and the room was huge and even included a Jacuzzi..
On top of the terrace there is a very nice swimming pool
In front of the hotel, there a variety of great restaurants.
The below pictures are the view from our Suite :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hanene S
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a great location, the train station behind, a big open square out front, walking distance to everything and a spectacular view of the duomo from the rooftop terrace which has a small pool. A great place for sunset cocktails. The breakfast buffet is also quite good.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed at the hotel three nights early November. The location is fantastic and about 5 minutes walk fro the Termini and bang next to the Basilica Santa Maria Novella. The square outside is beautiful and some very good restaurants are located just across the hotel. The roooms are big, beds too, good quality linen. The bathrooms too were decently sized and the toileteries of good quality. The staff very helpful and all our requests were met with a smile. The breakfast was excellent and had a great variety. The only problem was that AC's are turned off and we had to keep the window open for some air circulation, which meant that mosquitoes came in.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple