“Excellent return for money”

Grand Hotel Minerva
Ranked #51 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This is a good four star hotel in an excellent location close to all major Florence attractions. Room was good (not excellent), public areas are good, WiFi worked fine. Breakfast was above average.
The hotel efficiently parked the car for us and returned it when it was needed. Next trip to Florence would return to same hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yona m

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed for 2 nights. Was given free upgrade to a top floor suite, appreciated. Room was spacious. Did not like carpeted floors, room looked a bit dated and could have done with some modernisation. Bed could have been a bit more comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. Restaurant appeared to cater for more upmarket / business people, not suitable for family with small child. Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Top floor suite was good size for family.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nick K
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guests,
thank you for your kind review and for your suggestions. It would be of help to know the room you were in since our suites are a little bit different from each other it would be helpful to have its number and also to know if you found our bed too soft or too hard or else. Please do not hesitate to contact me at fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com.
As to our restaurant, I am sorry that it did not attract you. Hotel restaurants must cater to a wide range of different customers and it is not easy to have them be appealing at a first glance to a specific segment like families. This said I would like to inform our common readers that we do offer a kids menu which is also funnily presented as a big colored dice and that our waiters are well trained to suggest and cater for kids.
We look forward to your next visit, possibly during the summer time, when our “al fresco” restaurant, with seats facing the façade of the Santa Maria Novella Church will be operating.

With my best regards,

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Was in Florence for 3 nights with my family. Stayed there after my train ride from Milan. Location is within walking distance from the SMN train station. Also walking distance to Duomo and all the shopping areas.
Hotel is located in front of a plaza.
Hotel is clean and staff are helpful, especially Ms Margarita from the check-in staff. She explained all the enquiries and was given a map with all the attractions upon check-in. Breakfast was great with good selection. The breakfast room and lobby area are lovely.
Just a small inconvenience during my stay was due to winter, the hotel air-conditioning was turned off. I need to open the window to prevent stuffiness in my room. However, mosquitoes were able to enter the room with the window opened. Using the hotel provided mosquitoes electric plug did not solve this problem.
Still, it is a wonderful hotel and will consider to stay in this hotel if I cone back to visit this lovely and wonderful Florence.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank postofficesin

Dear Guest,
Let me first of all thank you for having selected our hotel among the many lodging options offered in Florence. A special thanks for mentioning the helpfulness of our staff and even Margherita’s name. She is now with us since more than 4 years and we are very happy about that.
I am sorry for the inconvenience related to air conditioning and mosquitos. This winter has started a bit crazy with temperatures going up and down from one day to the other very quickly. The air conditioning system cannot be turned from hot to cool in an hour so with very “undecided” weather temperature we are subject to this kind of inconvenience.
We look forward to your second visit to Florence and hope you will contact me directly in order to organize your stay in the best possible fashion.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

The hotel was very close to the train station, which was very helpful for us because we only stayed one night and left on a train for Venice the next afternoon. It is about 5 minutes walk from the main cathedral in Florence and all of the sights. We got two rooms for our family and both were reasonably spacious, very clean, and well-equipped. My bed was very comfortable and the bathroom much larger than expected. The roof area was also very beautiful - we came in winter so the pool was closed but the roof was still open to wander around and look out over the city. My only small complaint would be that the decor of the rooms was relatively bare compared to the pictures on the website.

Room Tip: We had rooms looking over the plaza and it was beautiful. No street noise at night but you can hear...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lan W
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Within waking distance from train station and set on picturesque piazza. We especially enjoyed the bed linens. The balcony room had view of Duomo. Enjoyable, tasty but expensive dinner and room. Full breakfast included.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank 401cottagegirl
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Florence is amazing and this hotel is in a fantastic location, with views of the Cathedral etc. However, this hotel didn't quite live up to our expectations.

It was clean, functional and the staff were courteous but I felt it lacked the Italian sparkle I've come to expect. The decor was a little tired and old fashioned and I feel as though you are paying a premium for the location alone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mamapeach
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Guests,
thank you for having chosen our property for your stay in Florence and for your nice words of appreciation of our staff and cleanliness. I am sorry that the décor of our premises did not fully match your expectations. I am just inviting our mutual readers to check the pictures shot by our guests on this same website and those on our website so they can have a precise idea of what to expect. As to the price it is a fact that hotels downtown Florence cannot be expected to be the less expensive accommodation in town, especially in September, but would also like to add that in addition to its very convenient location our hotel features a nice open air swimming pool on its rooftop with really great views of Florence, which is something unique in the city.
I trust you will consider our property for a future stay in our city.

With my best regards,

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was my 2nd stay at the Grand Hotel Minerva, my first being 5 years ago during my first trip to Florence. Now, having more hotels to compare it to, I can say that this hotel is a very nice hotel. The breakfast buffet provides a good variety of pastries, cereals, breads, juices, and other items, including eggs, bacon and sausage. The room (207) was large enough with a real double bed (not 2 twin beds locked together), and a pretty ample bathroom, especially by European standards. The light could have been a bit brighter in the bathroom, but was adequate.

The service at the hotel was quite good. For example, one morning, I noticed that my TV was not working for some reason. I told the front desk about the issue, and by the time I came back in the evening, not only was my TV (a good sized flat screen) working again, there was also a tray of fruit on my desk!

The location (very close to the main train station) is a great springboard for further travels in Tuscany, and is very convenient to many great restaurants, shopping, and the historic sites of Florence. Also, being an early riser, the 7 AM church bells (from Santa Maria Novella) are no bother to me. In all, I was very pleased with my 6 night stay, and will likely stay there in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GaryvM
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind words. It is really great to read that you have remembered of us after 5 years and many hotel visited in the meantime. A special thank for mentioning our service and for your understanding that things may stop working properly and appreciating our house engineer’s work.
As to double beds, I think it fair to advise our common readers that several of our double rooms actually have two twins locked together, so if having a single mattress is an issue, please let us know as early as you can: we will do our best to comply with your request
We all look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, hopefully before 5 more years pass by!

With my kindest regards,