“Not What Was Expected”

Ranked #52 of 422 Hotels in Florence
UK
“Not What Was Expected”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Having recently stayed in other Italian cities (Venice and Sorrento) in four star hotels, our expectations of Hotel Minerva were high. We were disappointed. It wasn't terrible by any means, but I resent paying four star prices for a three star product.

The hotel itself is ideally situated next to the train station, and within walking distance of all the major attractions. Plenty of nice restaurants and bars nearby, and the lovely church next door.

The room on arrival was freezing - after asking the hotel staff were quick to provide a portable heater - the staff were nearly always attentive and professional - a credit to the hotel. The bed linens were high quality and clean, however the towels provided were a bit thin. The bathroom was disappointing - an over bath shower of poor quality and a wall mounted "hair drier" that blew vaguely warm air unenthusiastically. We noted many people arriving at breakfast still with wet hair, so the issue seemed to be hotel-wide!

Breakfast was ok, and all the staff were friendly and helpful - they obviously work hard.

We didn't use the restaurant during our stay, but sat at the bar a couple of times - on one occasion we wished to leave and pay the bill, but there was no staff member to be seen! We waited five minutes while the reception staff summoned someone to attend to us.

The hotel is very clean and nicely decorated and our room was no exception, but it lacked any 'wow' factor that would put it in the four star league for me. The upstairs terrace was closed during our stay, which I felt was a major loss as we were looking forward to the views, etc.

WiFi did not exist for us beyond the lobby area, which was poor.

We will be returning to Florence in the future, but I'm afraid it will not be staying at the Grand Hotel Minerva.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank max761
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guests,
Let me first of all thank you for having booked our property. I am really sorry that your stay did not match with your expectations. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that have impacted on your stay, especially for poor service at the bar, which is not our standard.
Regarding WiFi I would like to inform readers that it is actually active in the entire hotel. Antennas may sometimes need to be re-set and that may have been the case for your room. I would be glad to receive more details about your stay (room number and dates) in order to better investigate this issue, but I am positive in confirming that we are providing good and complimentary Internet connection both in the rooms and in all our common areas.
I am really sorry that you did not have a chance to visit our rooftop: we have completely renovated it and unfortunately the unusual heavy rains (accompanied by sudden drops of the temperature which made our air con system useless...) of this spring have delayed works. The pool and terrace will be open and operating starting from May 17.
As to our star rating: our hotel is rated 4 stars according to Italian tourist regulations, but I do not think this really matters. What I think is important is that our rating among 4 stars is acknowledged by numerous international corporations and tour operators that work with us since several years.
I truly hope that if returning to Florence you will give us a second chance: I would be grateful to you if you would directly contact me in order to arrange your stay in the best possible fashion. Here is my direct email: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com
Filippo Burroni – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
galway
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Great location for hotel and very nice room. Lovely breakfast and staff. Disappointed that roof pool not open and we were not informed when booking. Also renovations going on and we were woken up very early with a lot of banging. Very annoyed as we were on vacation. No apologies were made either.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank galwaymaria
Dear Guests,
thank you for having chosen our property for your stay in Florence. Please accept my apologies for the closed rooftop terrace. We have completely renovated it and unfortunately the unusual heavy rains of this spring have delayed works quite a bit. The terrace will be open and operating starting from May 17. During some days in April works have actually been quite noisy, and although they did not start before 9 a.m. I am perfectly understand that this may have caused some inconveniences. I also would like to apologize for this.
Regarding the pool, we actually advertised for it to be operating starting from June, and we also informed our travel agents. At this stage I am happy to inform TA users that it will also be operating from May 17.
I hope the inconveniences suffered at our hotel have not impacted too heavily on your travel experience to our beautiful city and that you nevertheless keep nice memories of your trip. I hope you will come back to Florence in the future and, should be the case, I sincerely hope you will contact us: I would be delighted to make you a very nice offer and make sure you have the best possible stay at our hotel. Here is my direct email contact: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com
MN
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had made reservations to stay at this hotel for 3 nights, however, after checking in we realized that we needed to get out as soon as possible and thankfully were able to check out the very next morning. The very first impression of the building from outside was that of a run down place, but we thought that it would be OK from inside. However, on entering the room there was a moldy smell and the carpet seemed very dirty and stained. The paint on the wall was peeling off, the wood panels were chipped and the chairs were wobbly. There was a common door between two adjacent rooms and you could get a glimpse of the other room through a small gap!
This hotel does not provide any iron or an ironing board (we were told this was for safety reasons) and they provide ironing services in the hotel which is quite expensive. There are some ambulances parked outside the hotel which will wake you up with their loud sirens at odd hours.
This is not a cheap hotel by any means (the cost of the suite was 380 euros per night) but the room is probably not even worth 80 euros. Even if you are on a tight budget this is not the place to stay and you will likely find better options in Florence.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Unknown28
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guests,
I am terribly sorry that our hotel was such a disappointment to you.
I think it is important to say that the room you occupied, which is room 106 (together with adjacent room 107) is a very antique (and unique) room in our hotel: decorations, including its frescoed ceiling, and (most of the) furniture date back to the 19th Century, when the Grand Hotel Minerva opened as such. To my experience all guests occupying this room are thrilled by its spaciousness and decorations, and would like to invite our common readers to check a review published in Spanish on TripAdvisor on 6 January 2014. Guests occupied the same room 106 and the title of the review is “Excelente Hotel”. The room is defined as “bellissima”, which means “wonderful”. This said, if you are looking for something fully new and modern, this actually not your best choice.

I also would like to add that it is for me really sad to learn about your dissatisfaction only now: I have a record of our receptionist Roberta asking you if your early departure was related to our services and apparently you just spoke of changed plans. Of course we do not expect our guests to give us their real reasons for any of their choices, but this prevented us from showing you one of our modern style suites which you maybe you would have appreciated.
I hope that your experience at our hotel did not prevent you to enjoy your stay in Florence and that you nevertheless keep good memories of our city and that maybe you will come visit us one day if only to have a drink at the bar on our rooftop terrace.

Mk
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Our room had recently been remodelled and was clean and comfortable. The staff were always extremely helpful and polite. It's a stones throw from the railway station and a short walk from all the sights. A pity the roof terrace and pool were closed for building works during our visit but it didn't spoil our enjoyment at all. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Bluegarland2
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is the perfect place to stay in Florence. It is not too close to anything but only about a ten minute walk from everywhere you want to be. The staff were always helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was very good and plentiful and, again, nothing was too much trouble for the delightful women who greeted us each morning. It took only two days for them to remember us, our choice of tea or coffee and our room number so it was like having breakfast in a family home.
We loved our stay here and would recommend it to anyone looking for accomodation in Florence.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robyn M
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Although not a trendy location, it was either within walking distance to tourist locations or convenient to transportation. Room was recently renovated-while not what Americans would call spacious; it was very nice with plenty of space to spread out. For a mother and daughter with separate luggage, it was great to have two sturdy luggage racks and a bright bathroom. Staff was very helpful. Although I am not really a person who likes to eat breakfast before 10 a.m., I found the staff in the buffet area to be very nice and anxious to please. The lady with the red hair, sorry don't know her name, did a good job of directing other staff.
I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We did not upgrade, but found a basic room to be quite adequate. When in Florence, you don't wa...