“Good choice.....”

Grand Hotel Minerva
Ranked #51 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Hotel location is just walking distance to train station, bus, restaurants, interesting places to see.

Hotel staff are so nice, very friendly, very helpful - even though we had a problem with our room coz they gave us the room key at 5:30pm (we arrived Florence at 12 noon)

Room aircon is a bit noisy and not cooling much.
Rooms is big and clean. Bathroom just the right size.

Breakfast - you just have to pay extra if you like sunny side up eggs.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for your very benevolent review and understanding. So sorry about your check in. The guests in the room we had assigned to you had a serious issue which, though unrelated to the hotel, led us to grant them a late check-out.
Considering we had kept for you two rooms facing the square and next to each other I appreciate your understanding that it was not possible for us, given the situation of full occupancy, to find another couple of rooms with the same characteristics. To our luck we were able to give you an early check in to the other room (11.30 am, actually). For the benefit our common readers I will add that standard check in time is 2 pm and check out is due by midday.
I am also glad that you accepted our invitation to dinner for the five members of your family and truly hope this helped to make up for a really bad start on our side.
Just a small thing about breakfast: on the buffet, at no extra charges, our guests will find scrambled and boiled eggs. Extras are due only if you wish other kinds of preparations.
I truly hope you will come back to Florence in the future and hope you will contact me directly in this case. It would be a pleasure to arrange things for a most pleasant stay (and check in!). Here is my direct email: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com
With my best regards,

Filippo Burroni – General Manager

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed in 2 rooms, Junior suite for my husband and daughter, nice size and nice amenities. My sons had a room with 2 twin beds together, also nice size. We were located not on the square (Santa Maria Novella) but in the back, overlooking more of a courtyard. The view was beautiful. Unfortunately, next door was an ambulance company (at least that seems like what it was, given the ambulances parked outside). You could hear sirens at night, and the workers outside being noisy at night. The church bells ring from the church early in the morning, which could be perceived as quaint if you are early risers, which we are not, but you are in Italy after all and churches are everywhere. There is a roof top pool which had just been renovated, in which we did not use since it was not warm enough yet. They are still working on the roof top bar, which was awkward while visiting the pool area. Breakfast was typical continental, croissants, cereal, fruit etc., good coffee. Option to get eggs, pancakes for extra euro. My daughter and I got pancakes (8 euros), mine were very cold, so that was disappointing. Nice and cordial staff in restaurant and at desk. Location easily accessible to sights.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guests,
thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that your nights were troubled by some noise coming from people and sirens of “Fratellanza Militare”. This is an old non-profit institution born in 1872. Most of the people there are volunteers offering their services for free in their spare time. The management and most members are well aware of the presence of our hotel rooms not far away from their courtyard, and keep noise to a minimum, avoiding to disturb our guests. Since turn over at “Fratellanza Militare” is understandably high, it is possible that some new members have behaved in a not particularly attentive manner. I have already made an appointment with their “Presidente” to remind him of the importance of our guests’ comfort in order to avoid similar circumstances in the future.
As to our breakfast, please accept my apologies for a cold pancake, this is obviously something diverting from our standards and I have already shared your precious feed back with my collaborators in order to investigate this issue and prevent it from happening again.
As to your definition of it being “typical continental” I would like to say that I cannot fully agree with it. Our breakfast offers a variety of food ranging from what you listed in your review (croissants, cereal, fruit) to scrambled and boiled eggs, sausages, cherry tomatoes, 3 kinds of cheese and 4 kinds of cold cuts, including the famous prosciutto crudo (raw ham). All this is served on the buffet at no extra charge. Some other things, such us pancakes and omelettes are prepared on request and are considered as extras, as specified on the menu.
Our pool: really too bad you could not take advantage of it. This spring has been unusually cold and I understand its water temperature may have been not comfortable enough for taking a bath. Right now temperatures in Florence are definitely much higher and the pool is definitely much warmer (yesterday we had almost 35° Celsius - 95° F in Florence) and our guests were really lucky to be able to plunge into water after a day sightseeing. Having renovated the entire rooftop area we also implemented a heating system for the pool which will be operating in 2015.
I hope you will come back to Florence in the next years and, should this be the case, I trust you will consider again Grand Hotel Minerva for your stay. Here is my direct email address: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com. Hopefully you will contact me directly so I will be able to arrange your stay in the best possible fashion.

Filippo Burroni – General Manager

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel was situated in a fantastic area of Florence with all of the major sights within walking distance. We stayed in one of the suites and although different to what you may expect in the UK the room was recently refurbished and spotlessly clean.

The staff throughout the hotel were really helpful and I don't have a bad word to say about them.

This trip certainly earned me brownie points from the wife!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Location: 5 mins walk from Florence SMN Stn. Convenient walking distance to sights , river and restaurants.

Room: Our Deluxe superior room was spacious facing the Piazza Santa Maria Novella, noise is inevitable from the square with a festival food market in the piazza during our stay. We were not asked if it is a wheel-chair accessible room. Normally in the US , guest will be informed, for the shower area is enclosed by a folding partition with fault, water flooded the bathroom after shower. There was no bathtub. little counter space as well. A bowl of fruits was offered by the management.
A very filthy ragged floor rug caused me serious allergy that I had to request housekeeping to remove. The furnitures are very substandard.

Service: Breakfast was included, choices are limited but good enough to start a day.

I believe there are other choices, but location for this hotel is a merit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guests,
Let me first of all thank you for having booked our hotel.
I am sorry that our premises have not fully satisfied your expectations. I will try and answer your points for the benefit of our common readers.
Our cleaning procedures are very strict and I am really surprised that in one of our rooms there has been something so dirty to be causing allergies. Please accept my apologies for this embarrassing inconvenience. I will discuss this with my housekeeper and we'll go over our procedures again in order to understand what may have happened and to avoid similar situations.
As to our wheel-chair accessible rooms, I am sorry that its bathroom was not satisfactory to you. At the same time I would like to add that we are very proud of having 6 rooms out of 100 which can accommodate guests on a wheelchair, three of them being superior room and three classic rooms, so there is more for those who may have special needs. I would also like to inform our readers that these bathrooms are spacious ones and only have a walk in shower but no bathtub. Bars needed to move around in a wheelchair are fixed upon request prior to arrival. So far we have never felt the need to warn guests in advance when assigning these rooms, since no one has expressed these request before. In all earnestness it would be almost impossible to do that because specific room numbers can only be confirmed at the moment of arrival. We guarantee the main features of the room confirmed on the reservation and its category of course, but running a 100 room hotel in a city, with all its possible last minute changes (early departures, cancellations, last minute booking or requests) makes it really impossible to know with reasonable anticipation what room number a guest will have in order to communicate it.
On the other hand we encourage all our guest to inform us of their special needs or requests and wishes before their arrival. We will do our best to comply with them.
Filippo Burroni - General Manager

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The hotel is very near the Firenze SMN station where the tour groups meeting point is located. The staff in the reception is very friendly, very helpful and welcoming. We were upgraded to the suite which is a large room. The only thing i didn't like in the room is the door lock. It is still the key type lock and not the digital one. I felt not very safe with that kind of a lock. The breakfast was good with a very nice, friendly and attentive waiters and waitresses. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I've no complaints. We had a pleasant stay. More power to Grand hotel Minerva.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Happy T
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Location was great and I picked this hotel for the pool of which the renovation was still not complete. Guests should be notified of this..the rooms need a major upgrade and renovation especially the bathrooms.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank vm11

Dear Guests,
Thank you for booking our hotel. I am sorry that you were disappointed for not being able to use the pool.
Our website was informing our guests that the pool would have been available from June this year. That was a cautios information since we managed to open it a bit earlier. It is now operating and we are finishing works at our bar on the rooftop which will opel on June 15th. In the mea time drinks are server from the bar in the lobby.
I hope you will come back to Florence soon and would be very glad to be contacted directly in order to arrange your stay in the best possible way. Here is my email address: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com
Filippo Burroni - General Manager

Reviewed 21 May 2014

The hotel is a very nice, very clean hotel that is located close to many of the major sites of Florence. You are probably 15-20 walking distance to the Duomo, Piti Palace, and other sites. Breakfast was included with our room and was good. I believe tour groups stay frequently, so they are used to dealing with visitors. I thought the front desk was very helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends