“Pool area is the gem, location of hotel also great”

Grand Hotel Minerva
Ranked #49 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Family of 5 so always love when they have a family room that can fit us (13,12,9). Kids had upstairs area and we were below. Granted the rooms are a bit old and need an update and the beds also are a little tired - but the space in the room is fantastic. Only complaint is that we were directly in front of the hotels restaurant and every morning early a truck would come to drop off supplies and it was noisy and woke us up. Also the wifi did not work upstairs in the kids area that well.
However the big plus is the pool area. Whilst the pool is not large by resort standards this is a pool in Florence on a rooftop - it is great with a great view. We spent every afternoon there and had lunch at the upstairs bar/restaurant. Very relaxing and needed after the heat and people of sightseeing in the morning. Great location as well - beautiful square in front of us, station very close, restaurants, pharmacy, laundromat etc. all good.
Get them to book you to Bucco Mario and also Giovannis - great meals.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,059)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We arrives with our children think we had adjoining rooms. Adjoining in Italy does not mean connecting as in the US. It means on the same floor. After sorting out the problem (Roberta was absolutely wonderful) the put us in a family suite. The hotel is in great location and the roof top pool was great for the kids. The staff was very helpful and the breakfast was great. The only negative was the coffee at breakfast was undrinkable. I would stay here again but make sure you ask for one of the renovated rooms. The old ones are tired.

1  Thank Joseph C
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear Guests,
I am sorry for the misunderstanding about the rooms. Actually in the hotel jargon adjoining rooms are normally considered as next to each other but not necessarily connected by doors: you can check the following US website about this: www.businessdictionary.com, but also the less specialised www.thefreedictionary.com

But it is our duty not to speak the business jargon but our guests language and in the future we will try to be more specific. I am happy that after all you had a nice stay and that you enjoyed our family suite.
With my best regards,

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Nice, if slightly expensive hotel. Excellent breakfast buffet included. Decent free wifi. Comfortable beds. Incredible rooftop view with pool. 3 blocks from train station and walking distance to all the sights. Accommodating staff who helped with medical issue.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lgqrules
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We did not actually stay at this hotel so I cannot comment on rooms etc, but made a reservation for aperitivo on the rooftop bar with apparant 360 views of Florence.please note,u cannot even get onto this terrace without a reservation.
Upon arrival we were shown to our table & were somewhat underwhelmed by the view,I could see a tiny part of the front of Santa Maria Novella,no duomo,no palazzo,these were all blocked off by the surrounding walls...
The aperitivo itself,you order a drink & for an extra 5 euro u can get the tapas,what arrived were the 3 tiniest plates of food I had ever recieved, none of which were to my taste. We had been at a small side street wine bar the previous night & been given bruschetta,mini pizzas & some other bits & pieces for nothing! my husband & I are not usually ones to moan but I couldn't help feeling disappointed at the experience.
My advice if u want the best view if Florence at sunset would be to head to the Piazzle Michealangelo,costs nothing & the views are outstanding.there is a lovely cafe bar up there, 6.50 euros for a wine with crisps & olives & you can get some sensational views or bring your own & sit on the steps with the locals & watch the sun go down.
All in all I would say there are many better places in Florence for both views & aperitivo & I sadly would not return to the Minerva for this.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank melzyq17
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Customer,
I am sorry your aperitif experience was so disappointing to you. Let me try to address some of the issues you are pointing out.
It is not true you cannot access the terrace without a reservation, which is nevertheless recommended if you wish to be seated at a table. If you were informed thus by our staff, please accept my apologies.
The view: our rooftop terrace offers a 360° view from its solarium and its main terrace (accessible to non-residents from 6.30 pm), where you can have your drink seating on a deckchair (unfortunately we cannot book this space). Tables are concentrated on a terrace with views on Santa Maria Novella and its cloisters.
No wonder prices at the small side street wine bar are lower than ours, but if you look at our drinks menu, prices start from 6.00€ for a wine glass which comes served with complimentary dry snacks (salted almonds, tacos, peanuts): basically 50 cents less than the place you were at Piazzale Michelangelo. For our common reader’s guidance: a cocktail at our bar costs 12€ and you can have an entire bottle of nice Prosecco for 18€.
Too bad you did not enjoy our mini tapas. It is 3 small appetizers made fresh and different every day from our chef. We priced them 5€, which is just what we need not to lose money on them. I would invite you visit us again and try what the chef has prepared for that day. If you do not like them, just tell the barman: he’ll waive costs, no problem.
Piazzale Michelangelo is just a gorgeous place on the other side of the city. Be prepared to take a taxi or to climb some 10 minutes on the steps leading to it. For those who prefer an elevator and a more central location I believe our rooftop terrace still represents a good option.
With my warmest regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have to think the glowing reviews of this hotel are either fake or are coming from people who've never stayed at a decent hotel. Where do I start? We stayed here for four nights in July. The room was worn out and grimy, beat up furnishings, tiny bathroom, and the bed was uncomfortable. The air conditioning worked well, and the WiFi coverage was good and free. There were mosquitoes everywhere and the ambulance company immediately adjacent woke us up repeatedly every night. The quality of the breakfast buffet was second rate - though the breakfast staff did do a good job - it was the food that wasn't quite right. Front desk staff wasn't very helpful and it seemed like they thought they were doing me a favor every time I approached. I've seen this attitude in Italy at 5 star hotels but in this case it was comical. The location is good (well, aside from being next to the ambulance company :-). The rooftop bar/pool was small but nice in the evening if you can avoid the mosquitoes. I have to think there are much better properties in Florence.

Room Tip: I don't think you can get away from hearing the ambulances throughout the night.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bob B
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,
I normally try to answer every review where a customer shows some concern or dissatisfaction with our services trying to address every single point in the most exhaustive way.
I have to admit that in this case I really have a hard time to do so.

I am really sorry that your stay at Minerva was so disappointing to you, but at the same time cannot accept the disrespectful statement of yours when you write that the our “glowing reviews are either fake or are coming from people who’ve never stayed at a decent hotel”.

This is a straightforward insult to our honesty and, more importantly, to the many guests sharing their experiences at our hotel with the TripAdvisor community. That is why I will not comment your review any further and will just recommend TA users to read more about us, especially for what concerns the attentiveness and helpfulness of our front desk staff. Though it is fully possible that you have not received the attention you expected and that there have been busy moments where it took longer than usual to be attended, I cannot accept your implying that this was intentional. We have a group of well trained and hard working reception officers and I never found anything “comical” in their efforts to help our guests.

Please allow me a last word: this review had been removed from TripAdvisor following to our request right because of its insulting content. It has been posted again identically. We’ll leave it at that.

I hope that despite your bad lodging experience you have nice memories of our city.

With my best regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I booked this on Booking.com for my family with kids for 3 nights. This great hotel exceeded all expectations. We had a spacious suite facing the Duomo and piazza. We could walk everywhere and took the train from the station which is right near the hotel. Restaurants were close. The breakfast was excellent and plentiful. The rooftop pool area was magical with outrageous stunning views of Florence and the sunset. We were there every evening following our sightseeing and the kids loved it. We tried their tapas and drinks and they were open until midnight. What a unique, fantastic way to stay with children. Rooms and bathroom were clean an comfortable. Highly recommend this gem. Note there is a line in Rick Steves guidebook about the square of Santa Maria Novella having drug addicts - reality is it could not be more family friendly with our kids there in evening without any evidence of this. Finally, prices were very reasonable.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is a very average city 4 star even though I got a very good deal booking direct

The rooms are a bit tired and bathrooms have old and failing taps etc but the biggest problem are the beds. Old sprung mattresses that have seen better days and pillows that are two bits of hard foam - shut your eyes and you feel like you must be sleeping in a hostel.

If you care about your sleep comforts avoid.

Our aircon broke down too, and we could hear the plumbing for other rooms throughout the night but the staff could not have been more accommodating in moving us to other rooms.

On the plus there is a (small) pool and terrace on the roof.

My advice, you can do better in Florence