“Location could not be better”

Pitti Palace al Ponte Vecchio
Ranked #69 of 421 Hotels in Florence
London, United Kingdom
“Location could not be better”
Reviewed 27 June 2009

My boyfriend and I chose this hotel for it's wonderful location and lovely roof terrace. Our room was small but spotlessly clean and when the sights are so good you won't be spending much time in the room anyway. Breakfast was a real highlight with a good selection of fruit, cereals, meats and pastries which are constantly refreshed. It's especially lovely to enjoy them on the terrace overlooking the city. The hotel is just a five or ten minute walk from all of the main attractions and the atmosphere along the bridge is always lively. It's also within walking distance of the train station which was great for a day trip to Pisa. The staff are helpful and polite and the hotel is a 25 euro trip from the Amerigo Vespucci airport and takes only about 15 minutes. I'd especially recommend staying around the 24th June for the festival of San Giovanni as the breathtaking fireworks display watched from the Ponte Vecchio was a great end to a superb holiday. I'd go back tomorrow if I could.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
VivaPittiPalace, assistant manager at Pitti Palace al Ponte Vecchio, responded to this review, 7 July 2009
Dear guest from London

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comment about us! We are glad that you ejoyed your holiday, I am proud to hear that the efforts of our housekeeping staff have been noticed, they do work hard.
I am glad that you were here for San Giovanni, it is a beautiful night and the fire works are always magic! Plus our guest have a very privileged point of view, so see you next year!

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 June 2009

we stayed here for three nights from tuesday 9th to thursday 11th and what a gem of a hotel and what an incredible location .from check in to check out the staff were more than helpful without any problems. breakfast was plentiful and caters for all with lots of fruit,,juice, cold meats and a rarity in european hotels,breakfast tea with COLD milk !! our only minor complaint was our room 404 which was a little dark ,but its only a very minor problem and we were out all of the days . the location of the bar is stunning ,across the rooftops and spires of firenze. for dinner la borsa is one of many within falling distance and your elevenses or midday snack can be enjoyed in queen victoria . both of these are across the ponte vecchio on that street . all in all a great location and we will be back !!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
VivaPittiPalace, assistant manager at Pitti Palace al Ponte Vecchio, responded to this review, 22 June 2009
My dear guest from Ireland,
We all remember you with pleasure (room 404..), thank you so much for your nice comment about us, I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday in Florence. I hope to welcome you again and I promise you the brightest room!

regards

Omaha Ne
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I would never stay at this hotel again.
Upon our arrival the front desk could not be bothered with us. The front desk guy was very rude and seemed upset to even have to check us in. We arrived around 2 or 3 in the afternoon by taxi cab. Later that night, I needed an ATM, and this time there was a girl at the front desk and she was also very rude, and just told us to go down the street and we would find it. We did not. The next morning upon check out, a different guy at the front desk explained to us where it was so we were able to get cash for the taxi back to the train station. Too bad that we did not know that he could have called a taxi that accepted credit cards!
Our room seemed better than others I saw while walking down the hallway, but
the bathroom was dirty and had urine spots on the floor. Overall the hotel was not in good condition.
The hotel was close to Ponte Vecchio. The breakfast which was included the next morning was good and it was on the top floor of the hotel which had a nice view.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel and I am a travel agent.

The hotel did not have free internet access like many of the other hotels we stayed at.
We were not advised of any hotel amenities when we checked in.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sk8smom1
customerpittipalace, assistant manager at Pitti Palace al Ponte Vecchio, responded to this review, 15 June 2009
Dear Guest from Omaha

I am astonished.
I read your comment and the first thought was: it's not us. It is not the Pitti Palace I've been working for the last 4 years.
This cannot be the Hotel that has hundreds of positive reviews ( not only on this site).
This cannot be the Hotel where we have so many return guests that we consider them as part of the Family.
This cannot be the Hotel that has 10! books full of nice comments, thanks, drawings, and so on.
This is not that Hotel.
Unfortunately it is impossible to understand who you are and when you stayed with us. Please contact us privately as I want to clarify this matter with you. I need to be sure that you DID stay with us.
But what about if you did stay with us?
You say you met 3 people of our staff very rude
The indications about teh ATM were not clear
We did not tell you that the taxi could be paid in cash ( Did you ask? because if someone ask me where is the ATM, I respect the privacy and do not ask WHY they need to withdraw cash).
You say that you found a dirty room with urine traces.
Why did you not complain on the spot and instead you accepted to sleep in a room that apparently had these traces?
If all these bad things happened I would have expected a complain to myself but you did not and I am very surprised, considering that you are a travel agent.

I am really looking forward to receiving news from you to clarify this matter

Sincerely yours

Assistant manager
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I stayed at this hotel largely for it's location and the roof terrace. They did not disappoint. Great location and the terrace is wonderful. That said, the carpet in our room was disgustingly filthy, so bad that I certainly wouldn't walk on it without foot covering. The room also stank. While the sewer systems in old cities sometimes create odors, this was awful. To top it off, the staff at the front desk were unfriendly to the point of surliness and the maids didn't seem to understand the "Do not disturb" sign although it was in Italian. They cleaned the rooms during siesta so when we returned to the hotel at 2 p.m., really tired from a very active morning, we were unable to have a nap. Finally, one day we put up the do not disturb sign and had just dozed off when the maid started hammering at the door to see if we wanted the room cleaned!

So, if you only want a hotel for location and a roof terrace with a great view, this isn't a bad option but if you want a room that is habitable and staff that is remotely interested in your needs and comfort, then go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
VivaPittiPalace, assistant manager at Pitti Palace al Ponte Vecchio, responded to this review, 12 June 2009
Dear Evany

I am reading your comment over and over and feel so sorry that you had troubles with us. The staff and myself are very keen in trying to offer the best to our guest and all of us feel truly upset that this time we could not succeed. I could write here excuses and give explanations but it would not change the fact that you felt not comfortable in your room.
Please DO contact me personally here at the Pitti Palace, my aim will be to have the opportunity to confirm to you what many other people think about us, about the location, the service and the rooms.
I look forward to hearing from you soon

Regards

London
Reviewed 20 May 2009

The biggest plus as far as this hotel is concerned is definitely the location; it is situated just across the Ponte Vecchio on the Oltrarno side of the river, which means that it is quieter than most locations on the other side of the river - without being noticeably further from the main sights of Florence.

From one of the two roof terraces you get spectacular views of Florence (see picture).

The options available from the breakfast buffet are somewhat limited compared with other hotels I've stayed in, but what is there is very good ... and it's not exactly as if there isn't a choice at all.

One nice touch is the free Wi-Fi connection available to hotel guests - excellent for anyone traveling with a laptop.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The decor in the rooms is slightly dated, but not the extent that it is shabby - and after all it is not being marketed as a 5* hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Mordonian

What a picture you have taken! it is absolutely beautiful!
Yes, that is us, that's the view our lucky guests can experience!
We think that less is more, so 3 variety of croissant but excellent ones, few dishes in our menu but cooked with fresh food that we buy on a daily basis!
Thank you for your nice words about the staff, we all try to do our best, it is true we do not have "material luxury", our aim is to offer a safe, friendly, positive stay, Luxury is to be able to sit in our terrace peacefully with a nice glass of red Chianti!

Thank you!

London
Reviewed 12 May 2009

My cousin and I travelled with our mothers both in their 70's. We had twin rooms which were small but adequate, bed linen and towels changed daily. substantial continental breakfast was served on the 6th floor restaurant which had an outside terrace with fantastic views over the city. This also opened as a bar at 4.30pm, a great place to relax after a days walking. evening meals served here most nights too. The hotel is in a great location at the foot of the Ponti Vecchio Bridge so very central. A must is the Open top site seeing bus which seems expensive at 20 euros but includes two tours both lasting over an hour. Do the blue tour in the morning (tickets from reception). We then went round the centre on foot and got the last green route bus at about 4pm. This took us right up into the village of Fiesole. A great place to look round but not if you take the last bus! Warning - The gardens at the actual Pitti Palace are built into a hillside and not suitable for people with walking difficulties or Asthma. Top Tip - if over 65 years carry your passport for reduced and sometimes free entrance to attractions.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Spanner9
VivaPittiPalace, assistant manager at Pitti Palace al Ponte Vecchio, responded to this review, 13 May 2009
Good day form Florence!

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed to stay with us, I must say that you left very good tips about Florence! I will definetly tell my staff to follow some of them!

I do hope to welcome you and all your family in Florence soon

Warmest regards

Seal Beach, CA
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We stayed here for only one night before checking into an apartment we rented for the week. The room was small, but very nice. The location is hard to beat--step out your door and into the action, but nice and quiet inside. The breakfast was not fabulous, but pretty good, and with a nice rooftop view.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 4loriw
VivaPittiPalace, ASSISTANT MANAGER at Pitti Palace al Ponte Vecchio, responded to this review, 13 May 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time for leaving your comment, I am glad that you your stay with us met your expectations and that you enjoyed the nice view from the bar, from that terrace you can see 90% of the main monuments and churches of our beautiful city.

Sincerely