“Do not stay here.”

Ranked #379 of 422 Hotels in Florence
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Do not stay here.”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

When my friend and I walked into the hotel it was disgusting. There is currently mold growing on the wall next to the front desk and they had trouble finding the reservation that we made. Then when you get to the elevator is smells like sewage + the anus of a Florentine gypsy. It smelled like this throughout most of the hotel. When we finally got to our room only 1 electrical outlet worked and the bathroom is a joke. There is no shower, just a 4x3 space so water gets everywhere and it truly disgusting. There is no AC, it says there is but when you turn it on this VERY LOUD noise occurs continuously and it does not cool the room at all. In our particular room after a while of it being on it began to smell like paint fumes and other carcinogenic materials so we immediately turned it off. Since there is a lack of AC, you are forced to open the windows and allow all the mosquitoes of Florence to come in and drink your blood while you are sleeping. The only Pro for Hotel ASScot is the location. That is it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not stay here. It is disgusting and truly a health hazard. Spend the extra money for a half decent place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelingFA1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

I'll start with a compliment. This hotel is very well situated. A few minutes walk from the train station and no more than 10 minutes to the major sights. That is really the only good thing I can say.
Upon entering the hotel the stench of drains is overwhelming. The decor is sad, old and unwelcoming. Guests who were crowded in the cramped, damp foyer to use the wifi didn't engage in eye contact out of pure embarassment for being there. The room was shabby with broken air conditioning units, a muddy footprint on the wall 7ft off the ground and the filthiest, mouldy bathroom I've ever seen. Tea bags were green tea with vanilla?? No milk, no sugar, no coffee. The shower is a hole in the floor. You genuinely could have a shower and use the toilet at the same time and then wrap yourself in the tea towel sized bath towel left for you. The walls were so thin that at 1am when I heard the couple next door having sex I had to check under the bed to check they weren't in the same room. I was also thrilled to hear the lady drying her hair at 6am. It was as loud as if I had the dryer over my own head. Overall I'm flabbergasted anyone has reviewed this hotel well. It's truly awful. If I had been able to give it a zero rating I would have.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank charlotte186311

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

jerusalem
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I have booked this hotel according to my travel agent suggestion, but after reading several reviews all i wanted was to change an order immediately:. Unfortunately i wasn't able to make my wish truth, and next day at 10 a.m. we stepped inside the lobby. First surprise was that we were given a room without waiting to check in hour. Next one was that a room, in good condition indeed, was really large, very clean, with extensive buthroom and, if all that is not enougth ,with a plenty of hot water! I must tell that a hot water( God knows why) is a frequent problem in italian hotels. For example ,half a year before in the hotel in Rome ,which had cost me three time more than Ascot, for two days I wasn't able to get a hot water, and in another room I mooved in, a water was hardly warm. Now, this miricle of hot water proceeded through all our stay in Ascot.Cleanliness was absolute also. One detail more. We were planing to visit San Gemigniano next day and reserved a lunch in restaurant there. But at evening it was found out that a buses - the only connection between these cities ,don't operate at Easter Sunday and it was a day,,, Receptionist not only was kind enough to call to the restaurant to call of a reservation, but refused to take a tip. Have ever heard about such a thing? To be objective I must add, that out of three socets,one was out of order. Inspite of this, Iif one will take into account all that was told before and a perfect location our stay in Ascot wasn't as awful as it was expected at all!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sasha o
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Do not go there. Rooms ok in being clean but the pong of overloaded sewers! Some staff ok but some couldn't care less. Breakfast continental and poor, finishing 9.30 promptly so "Café finito" is the response. Pay more and get more. We booked through Thomas Cook which I thought would have been more of a recommendation but alas, no.
City is ok but not our favourite - much prefer Rome. Found lovely cafe/restaurant on our last day - Café Duomo, which was better than posher places. Other food alright but nothing special.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KevinWard
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed 23 March 2013

The solution for a holiday on a budget yet centrally situated 5minutes from Santa Maria Novella Train Station, and about 7mins to the Duomo.
The plus to this hotel is a good location. Overall this hotel offers excellent value for money, even though the hotels leave much to be desired. The rooms are in a poor state. Yet one should say that the utilities all functioned well enough.
Not the best hotel I could recommend in Florence.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms tend to be better than upper floor. A/c doesn't work well, so be aware of that...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

First you can't get in any time Because the staff will randomly leave for half an hour and put a sign up saying they will be right back so I had to wait outside for 30 min!
2. I heard this horrible BANGING next room and went to see what's up. Well the guys lock malfunctioned and he was locked in his room! Further, our door and his had the lock mechanism and frame partly ripped out of wall meaning this has happened before! The guy actually went the next few days with leaving his door wife open!
3. Staff were so rude I thought they were joking but they were serious
4. It was overpriced! (Though I would never stay again unless paid $500 / night)

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Bryanorr4444
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

Unless you feel like staying in a hotel which would only be acceptable to a starving peasant in the 10th century, do not stay at Hotel Ascot! Our room literally had dead bugs smashed on the wall. You have to shower over the toilet as the shower is simply a faucet coming out of the wall over the toilet. The toilet is rotting as a result and I'm convinced, not meeting 19th century health regulations. The furniture appeared to have been obtained from the dumpsters out back. It was a digusting hole in the wall and the worst hotel I've seen in my life!!! Do not stay here!!

• Stayed April 2012