“Not a good experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Ascot Florence

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Ascot Florence
Ranked #378 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Dublin, Ireland
“Not a good experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Very disappointed as they gave me their worst room, an overflow emergency room, which was a mystery as I had booked some time in advance. It wouldn't take much to improve this room. No curtains on the windows. No safe, No TV, musty smell in room, mattress very uncomfortable, phone, fridge and bedside light did not work. had to get to room via an outside balcony. carpet was a trip hazard. On the plus side, the view was good, the shower was good, the staff were very helpful and friendly even though they said it was not possible to move me to another room. The other rooms looked basic but reasonable, I could see as doors were wide open for cleaning. Breakfast was ok. Very close to train station and central Florence. This hotel was a blind booking through Hotwire who gave me a full refund as the room I was given was most unsuitable.

Room Tip: Be sure you don't get the overflow room, the other rooms looked basic but ok compared to mine...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Colchester, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

It's a mystery how Italian hotels get 3-star ratings. They certainly would not in England. Although the location was ideal for the train station and central Florence, the hotel has little to offer in the way of amenities and the rooms are Spartan to say the least. Very small and very cramped, with empty mini-bars which could not even be used as cold stores, air-conditioning/heating which seemed temperamental to say the least, plumbing which looked like something out of "Waterworld" and paper thin walls which offered little protection from noisy school parties. Breakfasts were sub-standard and the only redeeming feature apart from the location were the charming and helpful staff in reception.

Room Tip: If you have a cat and fancy swinging it, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike R

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Chosen for it's location the best thing I can say about this hotel is the bed was acceptable and the included breakfast was only just ok. The only 3-star part of this hotel is the foyer. I doubt whoever rated it went past the entrance. Cramped room with "en-suite" - we only used the bathroom for the toilet. Certainly could not bring myself to use the shower or even brush my teeth. This hotel is only for the desperate if nothing else has any vacancies.

Room Tip: Helpful room tip? - Keep walking to another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Nytha J
Florence, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The Main reason we booked at Hotel Ascot was its great location, few meters away from the Santa Maria Novella station. The distinct features of this hotel are the unpleasant smell right after you enter and the uncultured female receptionist (the male receptionists were friendly and helpful). We were fortunate because our room was at the second floor, misfortune for those at the upper level because the elevator is blocked at night till morning and have to use the stairs. Our room was appropriate for couple and an extra bed for a kid. Complimentary tea were found at the room but sad to say its disgusting because the water boiler clinged with hair. Century old TV with useless remote control. Great because free WI-FI and nice heating system.
Another disappointing matter was the breakfast:
1.prosciuto cotto (cooked ham) tastes old,
2.filthy coffee because as i finished, residues settled at the bottom of the cup.
3.The pastry-croissant looked like a work of a 5 year old toddler played a clay dough plus its burnt.
I can't suggest but if your looking for a place near the train station to spend overnight, its not bad to spent 44 euros and leave before 6am. But if you're looking for a comfort and enjoyable hotel experience then look for a better 3 star hotels nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MigsDeManille
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Luckily we were booked into this hotel by a travel agent and were able to move. This hotel has got to b a health hazard, the smell is foul, the electrics are dodgy and the beds are broken.
Do yourself a favour, take my word for it and don't bother looking for yourself. You will not want to stay here:-)

Room Tip: Don't even think about it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Agnes D
Zwevegem
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

So far, I've only posted positive reviews on Tripadvisor, but this "establishment" deserves another kind of review. Having spent three nights at the Ascot with three friends, I am shocked to see that this "hotel" is still in business. I have travelled a lot in my lifetime and I can safely say that this is the worst place I have ever stayed at. It wasn't filthy, oh no, it was squalid, grubby & grimy. The inedible breakfast was served (come to think of it, there was no service whatsoever!) in a dingy basement. I can still smell the rank stench that permeated the whole place and the smell of bleach emanating from the buffet on which we found sorry excuses for cheese and cold cuts. As for the rooms...in one of the two rooms we'd booked we were faced with traces of dirty boot and shoe prints all over the walls, mould everywhere (not just in the revolting shower) , bed linen infested with bed bugs (honest, the bites on my belly proved it...)and in the other room which on first inspection, looked slightly "better" than room one, we found the piece de résistance: a used condom (I kid you not!) One afternoon, wanting a change of clothes because we'd been drenched by heavy rainfall, we found ourselves locked out of the hotel. The guy at reception had put a note up in broken English saying that he'd be back in "five minut". Well, it being Italy we shouldn't have been at all surprised that those "minut" turned into over half an hour (no idea when the guy put the sign up, he might have been gone for hours, for all I know...) Once we did get to our room (at that point we'd given up on the lift that did indeed smell of sewage, as another reviewer put it so aptly) we found that in room one we were left without any towels and in room two there was no toilet paper to be found. We were all fuming at that point when one of my friends suggested she go downstairs to sort things out with the "receptionist". I told her that I'd take care of it, since she might fly off the handle with the guy. Well...he left me hanging in "reception" for about ten minutes, then finally showed up, all of a sudden not understanding any English whatsoever when I explained we needed towels and loo rolls. I first spoke to the chap in broken English: nothing! Then I switched to French: zilch! So I started raising my voice ever so slightly and threw some Spanish in. Result: nil! Close to breaking point I resorted to using my own language (which is Dutch and which can sound a bit "rough" if you've never come across it...) mixed with a bit of German and Flemish dialect to make my point. One would think that by that time I might have got some reaction out of the receptionist? Well, you would be wrong! Finally, I used all of the body language I had in me (and trust me, at that point the gestures came fast and furious...) and then a miracle happened! An Canadian couple came in, wanting to book a room. I warned them to get out of the place as fast as they could and lo and behold... the receptionist found his English back...RESULT! Only just, though... I got more toilet paper than I could carry he then proceeded to explain to me that there were no clean towels left in the hotel because it was Sunday (?!?) and that I would have to wait "a bit" for clean towels to appear out of thin air. It later turned out, that he'd gone to a hotel down the street to get some of theirs. One needn't be Miss Marple to have figured that one out, since the name of the hotel was embroidered on every single one of them. About 45 minutes later we did get the clean towels (which of course weren't brought up to the room but had to be collected at reception . Come on, what did you expect?!) I hope that this little "vignette" - along with all the other less than raving reviews - of this quadruple zero star hotel has convinced any of you who might have considered going to hotel Ascot of staying WAY CLEAR of it.
Travellers, be warned.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Boeboelle
North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

TV didn't work. Reading light too dim to see book. Requested a twin room and one of the "twins" was a foldaway that almost dumped my son into the floor. Bathroom tiny and one of those with a drain in the floor like the whole room was the shower. The staff was pleasant enough and did manage to fix the tv by the second day, but the tv was very small. There was a foul odor coming up the elevator shaft. I realize this was a budget hotel chosen for price, but we ALWAYS stay in budget places and they are not all this bad. I booked it by price and overall rating number but wish I had read more reviews. This experience has motivated me to do my reviews when I get home and not procrastinate until I forget to do it - we travelers need to look out for one another!

Room Tip: Just choose a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends