This was one of my favorite hotels on our trip to Italy. What a marvelous job they did restoring the historic architecture and mixing classical elegance with a modern flair. They also managed to maintain the old lanterns, sculptures, glass windows and even an ancient elevator (which probably did not work anymore) from the renaissance times.
The hotel rooms were super spacious in Italian standard. They used a contemporary design and it worked to perfection. Breakfast itself was adequate but it was the breakfast hall that created all kinds of buzz. It was simply a magnificent piece of history and what a joy having breakfast there every day during our stay!
The location however was the main reason that we picked NH Porta Rossa. It was just about 20-30 steps from the Arno river and Salvatore Ferragamo Museum and the rest of the tourist attractions were not too far off. The staff was friendly, though a bit shorthanded at times.
There were 2 improvement areas though, which could make the hotel even better.
(1) Wifi - internet passwords are given out at the hotel reception for 30 minutes free of charge. Then you need to ask for another password etc etc. (That's why you see all these people wandering around the reception area at night.) For unlimited access in the rooms, it is chargeable. This is annoying, why not simply make the wifi free to everyone?
(2) Our room was facing the back alley and it got pretty noisy in the morning when the garbage truck came to pick up rubbish from the night before.
Just a word of advice if you are arriving by car: There's a valet service at Euro25 per night which isn't too bad at all. BUT do not attempt to drop your car in front of the hotel because you may never find the way! The hotel is located in a pedestrian area with restricted access (and too many one-way roads in the proximity). Simply drop the car near the Salvatore Ferragamo Museum by the river and let the hotel know (the license plate number) so someone will go and pick it up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa hotel in Florence is a historical landmark, offering modern adaptations of classical beauty. Built in the 12th century, the NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa hotel is one of the oldest hotels in Italy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, NHHotels, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nh Porta Rossa Hotel Florence
- Hotel Porta Rossa
- Porta Rossa Florence