“Great location and good hotel”

NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa
Ranked #28 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is an ancient address where i have been going for years. Some time ago it was taken over by the NH brand and I feared the worse. I should not have worried. The hotel has been well renovated and the service is better than it was. I had an excellent room that was more than clean and very comfortable. Staff was very helpful and (more importantly) efficient. You cannot beat the location of course. I will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank mjelling

Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Porta Rossa for 3 nights in April. The hotel is in a fantastic location with shops and restaurants at your doorstep. We stayed in a standard room that was very modern with a nice view. We had been in Italy for 2 weeks at this point and I must say the breakfast served at this hotel was the best! Such a wonderful selection and the staff are very friendly and professional. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Florence.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JuliaWilson403
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great hotel in a perfect position for seeing Florence. Staff friendly and very helpful. Breakfast good with plenty of choice. We stayed in a deluxe double room which was perfect size wise with a good sized bathroom. Not sure what standard rooms are like. The room was clean and the bed comfy. Two comfy chairs but no coffee table which I have suggested to the hotel they should add.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
1  Thank Anne E
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at the NH Porta Rossa in Florence over April. The location of the hotel was great - we walked everywhere. The breakfast was a great spread. The room was extremely spacious and the bathroom well equipped and modern. The only gripe we had was that we booked with Agoda - so this should have been fully paid for - but we still had to pay a city tax when it should have been all paid for. The reception was friendly and efficient- booking our Uffrizi and Academia tours as well. We also asked for a higher floor quiet room but were given a second floor room with lots of noise

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated room on a higher floor - 2nd floor was noisy
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PPillay
Reviewed 10 May 2014

It can be overwhelming choosing a hotel from among the many options. Having been to Florence just once before, we knew we wanted a hotel with a central location within walking distance of the bulk of the sights. Not only did the Porta Rossa fit that, it is an elegant and lovely place. We arrived early in the day and our first encounter was with Elia at the front desk. He was so sincerely warm and welcoming that our exhaustion from the overnight flight dissipated. He worked to get us an early check-in and upgraded us to a junior suite. The room was beautiful and spacious, well-appointed with many niceties. The bathroom was well-equipped, also spacious, there was little street noise anywhere, the beds were extremely comfortable, plush towels, and so much more. In addition, as we struck out to begin our sightseeing, we were guided by Elia where to go for lunch (a great suggestion!) and then how to get to where we wanted to start. In addition to Elia, all at the front desk were so helpful (Valentina, Gabriel) and gave us wonderful suggestions. The breakfast came with the room and it was more than wonderful with everything your could want including gluten-free options, all set in a gorgeous breakfast room Elia was also helpful in reserving museum tickets for us. We all agreed that we would definitely come back to the Porta Rossa! There was everything you could possibly want - even with gluten-free options

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank KCBC
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Three of us traveled to Florence the first week in May and found the Porta Rossa to be a place to return to. When arriving early, the hotel's staff did everything they could to allow for early check-in. We got offered and gladly accepted an available upgrade to a nice junior suite. After a great lunch around the corner (the hotel's recommendation), we checked in and headed off to explore the city. The location could not have been more perfect - closely located to all the museums and main sights without being right in the middle of it. The amazing breakfast spread was certainly worth the investment. Free WiFi was a welcomed addition too. We found the front desk staff (led by Elia with Valentina and Gabriel) wonderfully helpful in booking any and all reservations and always open to helping us tourists with much-needed directions.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 5 May 2014

NH Porta Rossa is a nice hotel and centrally located within walking distance to all of the major attractions in Florence. The staff is very friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. Checking in and checking out were easy. The breakfast buffet was delicious and staffed by servers who are eager to serve you cappuccinos and expressos.

My big complaint is that my TV did not have any non-Italian channels. My colleagues who stayed in the hotel’s other rooms had all of their TV channels working, including CCN International and BBC, but the only channels working for me were the Italian ones. Some of you may think why do you need your tv when you have Florence to explore at your doorstep? Well, I stayed at the hotel for a month for work so at the end of the day of working 10 hours, I like to catch up on some daily news in a language that I understand. My two attempts to front desk about my TV situation were unsuccessful. The hotel indicated that they are having some issues with the TV programming and the problem should be fixed soon. Well, 30 days later, I still couldn’t get my CCN fix.

If you need to press or iron your clothes, you have to ask the hotel front desk to set up the iron and ironing board in a special closet on the fourth floor. None of the rooms come with an iron for your own use due to Italy’s strict building code regulations. Before you iron your iron clothes in the “broom closet”, you sign a waiver releasing the hotel from any liabilities. This was definitely a first for me.

Room service options were very limited. They are quick to get the food to you, but it is basically white bread with leftover salmon from the breakfast buffet. You are better off getting food from outside the hotel.

The hotel can smell like sewage sometimes. Yes, I said sewage. I don’t think I am the first to notice this. The area leading to the ground floor elevators can be quite smelly. Also the hallways leading to my own bedroom on the fourth floor can use some air freshener.
Other than the limited TV programming, crazy iron setup, limited room service options, and smelly common areas, my stay was pleasant. I suggest the hotel invest in some serious air fresheners and offer more food options for their room service.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street can be very noisy. Ask for a room to face the courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business