“Not Bad, Some Plus, Some Minus”

NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa
Ranked #33 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Cincinnati
“Not Bad, Some Plus, Some Minus”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I had a decent stay at this hotel. The room was clean, spacious and well appointed with free wi-fi, in room coffee and a comfortable bed. Staff seemed friendly and willing to help. The issues I have are related to the windows and the front desk. The windows may be relics from ancient history - every noise sounds like it is right in the room, making it difficult to sleep. The front desk staff is friendly, but must be dealing with antiquated technology because the check-in and check-out process was excessively lengthy. Location is a plus - easy walking distance to major attractions, shopping and restaurants. I would probably give this place a 4 if they updated front desk tech and installed new (sound proof) windows.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank cinncitraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 20 July 2014

i must say, it was the best stay i ever had in a hotel. i have been in honeymoon in this hotel, and from the first moment we stayed in love with the place. to sleep in luxurious and historic building in the center of florence, i for sure an unforgettable experience. rooms are very confortable, breakfast explendid a with a homemade capuccino (best capuccino i ever had) . Very important: try the junior suite, its simply the best room in the hotel, even the bathroom is an ancient church altar!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arraiolos
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is basically a 5 minute walk away from everything you need to see in Florence. I would say it is perfectly located smack bang in the middle of the old town. The rooms were very clean and also surprisingly modern for a building that has been there since the 1100's. The room was serviced daily and the shower was amazing!

I'd recommend you find a rustic, authentic Italian restaurant to eat in and avoid the overpriced, commercial places on the various piazza's.

We would stay here again next time we visit Florence.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris W
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Unbeatable location - so a bit noisy but worth it for our preferences.
Helpful staff, honest breakfast, ... no restaurant though.
Junior suites are awesome, great size and a great mix of contemporary furniture and renascence atmosphere. The room was tidied up twice a day.
An overall excellent experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 18 July 2014

in Florence twice a year for Pitti Uomo, excellent stay at the Porta Rossa, friendly staff, great location, great night sleep, good breakfast, nice bar to have drink at the end of the day, 10 minute walk to the Pitti Uomo, and an overall pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We are currently on our honeymoon and stayed 2 nights at the NH Porta Rossa in florence. The hotel staff is amazing!!! Anna the receptionist was super helpful and friendly answering all my questions and booking a reservation, to a beautiful and cozy restaurant just down the street, on the spot!

The rooms are clean and the bathrooms even cleaner (which is a huge concern for me!)

The complimentary breakfast was delicious and kept us full literally until dinner time!

Everything is literally a 5-10(max) walk. Amazing little cafés and restorantes to eat nearby. If you like shopping at name brand stores (Gucci, feragamo, Louis Vuitton) they are all one block away.

Definitely coming back and definitely staying here again!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Ajgonz012
New York
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My partner and I recently returned from a 5 night stay at the NH Porta Rossa hotel in Florence. The hotel is conveniently located and the rooms are comfortable (we booked the basic level room category).

Unfortunately, our room faced the street in front of the hotel which can get very noisy.  The street itself is not a wide street and not heavily trafficked, but the windows are only single pane with no adequate sound proofing, so any street noise can be heard in the room.  I'm not generally a light sleeper, so while we did occasionally hear a few people talking as they walked past the front of the hotel late at night, this didn't bother us so much (not enough to overshadow the positive aspects of our stay).

However, on our 4th night at the hotel, we were woken at 5:20am by a loud mechanical noise from the street.  We called the front desk after waiting without avail for the noise to stop.  The receptionist apologized saying that it was a street cleaning truck that should go away in another 10 to 15mins.  The noise continued for almost an hour (it was 6:15am when the truck finally drove away)!  Our sleep that night was ruined.

When we checked out, I informed the front desk that although we generally enjoyed our stay, I was very disappointed that we were awoken by the cleaning truck that one night.  The check out person first tried to explain that our room faced the street and that a little noise is unavoidable. Well, that got me angry because I wasn't complaining about a "little noise".  I had fortunately recorded the truck and the noise on my iPhone (remember, I had an hour to kill before the noise stopped).  I politely suggested that we should be compensated for the one night of lost sleep, but I left it to the hotel's discretion and didn't argue the point.  The check out person made a few calculations on her computer before offering me a 10% discount on only that one night's stay (which is less than the cost of breakfast at the hotel).  I didn't think it was a fair resolution, but so be it.

That said, I do want to be fair to the hotel too.  If it weren't for that one night, I would have rated the hotel 4 to 5 stars.  The hotel is very conveniently located (close enough to walk to all of the main sites without being right in the middle of the tourist crowds).  Our room was very generously sized and well designed.  The bathroom was spacious and modern.  Although I was disappointed by how my complaint was handled, the staff was generally polite and welcoming.  We were very happy with our hotel choice until that ill fated night with the cleaning truck.

So, if you are light sleeper, ask for a room facing away from the front street.  If you happen to be there when the street is scheduled to be cleaned, definitely do not stay in a front facing room.  Otherwise, our room was really very nice (we were on the second floor with views overlooking the red tiled roofs of neighboring buildings).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple