“Bedbugs”

Ranked #310 of 412 Hotels in Florence
Dublin
“Bedbugs”
Reviewed 6 August 2010

My friend and I booked in with B&B Maison (who still let us have free dinner with them) but when we arrived we were told it was booked up but there was an ensuite bedroom for us in Hotel Veneto. We shared with two guys in a room which was obviously not meant for 4 people. The 'shower' was disgusting, and the water flow was non existent. To top it off, we got bedbug bites so had to spend money we didn't have (backpackers on a budget!) on washing all our clothes. When I told the 'manager' about the bedbugs, she tried to shush me and insisted they were mosquito bites. They were not. DON'T STAY HERE!

4 Thank Lanalizp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 July 2010

My friend and I had reservations at a different hostel and upon arriving the host said he was "overbooked" so he made reservations for us at the Veneto Hotel. We got there and the place was really dirty. Our room was small, with 5 beds, and had bed bugs! We reported the problem and checked out the next day. They were not very nice about anything and made us pay for our reservation. On our way out we overheard another group complaining about bed bugs too. It put a big damper on our trip because we had to find a place to wash our clothes and a new hotel.

5 Thank smoothtraveler123

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Westlake Village, California
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We arrived to a lobby that smelled strongly of dogs and BO.
The front desk man did not appear to know what he was doing. He initially took us to the wrong room, then realized we were supposed to be on an entirely different floor.
The room we arrived to had headboards for three beds, but they had squeezed six in instead. Four of these beds were lined up so close together that they were actually touching. I spent the night sleeping literally six inches from a complete stranger.
The room was filthy, the walls were yellowed with age.
There was only one key, and you had to return it to the lobby after each use.
The other roommates we shared with (hostel-style) were joking to us about a shower in the middle of the bathroom. Confused, I stuck my head into the filthy bathroom and saw a sink, followed by a spigot in the wall, followed by a biddy and toilet. When you showered, you showered with the entire bathroom.
An hour after we arrived, front-desk man appeared with two more people and asked us how many people were in the room. ...isn't that something he should know?...
We replied, "Five."
"Oh. Well, one of you in here, the other, downstairs."
Confused, a girl walked in and waved her partner goodbye.
Ten minutes later another man showed up, who had stayed there the night before and should have had a bed in this room. The management really has no clue what is going on.
The next morning, at 10am, I get a knock on the door.
"We need to clean this room."
"Check-out is at 11. You want us to leave now?"
"Yes, we need to clean this room"
I can't imagine what they meant by clean.
When we went downstairs to check-out, we were met with a sign we had not noticed the night before. "All guests must remove their bags from 7.45am to 4pm today for maintenance reasons."
No hope for luggage storage then. We spent the next three hours lugging our stuff around before we found another place to stay.

I understand this is budget accommodation, but the hotel did make 120 euros on that room that night. Even at 20 euros a head, this is a complete rip-off.

3 Thank E-Mad_Henri
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The way we ended up staying there was not kosher. I had booked a room to a different hotel online (Hotel Etrusca) and when we arrived at that location we were told that they had to switch us to Hotel Veneto which was apparently "associated" with Hotel Etrusca. The reason for this was unclear, especially because I had the reservation print out and had booked the room in advance. So there we stood with our luggage and then we had to haul it another 500 meters or more to the next location. When we arrived at Hotel Veneto I was less than impressed. The place was not very clean and we waited 45 minutes for our room to be prepared. What this consisted of I'm not sure because there were only sheets on our beds. We had to ask for linens and blankets. The bathroom was tiny and the shower head dripped continuously. There was no way I would dream of taking a shower in the less than spotless bathroom. Also, there was no breakfast available at this location so we had to walk back to the other hotel for our meal. The final kicker is that we were charged twice for our one night stay. We had to pay cash in person because their credit card machine was broken "just that day" and when I checked my credit card bill I realized I had already paid for the entire cost of the stay. I will be demanding a refund from this location! DO NOT stay here!!

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank Sarah_HH79
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2010

Here's what happened: Got off the train in Florence, a man asked us if we needed a place to stay, we said yes, got into his car and went to Hotel Veneto. We really don't know what we were thinking, we weren't drunk or high, we even saw the room before we agreed on terms of stay...No windows, horrible bathroom, gray walls with chipping paint, and two horrible cots to sleep on. Dark, dingy and rank. We will be the first to admit it was a foolish decision...We thought it would just be a place to crash but....

Later that night, in attempting to sleep, fending off an ARMY of bed bugs (I slept fully-clothed -> hoodie tied tightly minimizing skin exposure, socks and running shoes on, maximizing my defences) I watched in horror as my husband battled on the front lines in his sleep, slapping his face and arms frantically defending himself from Venetonian bugs! There was no hope. Man down, and there was nothing I could do to help him!

The following morning, exhausted from battle, we issued full retreat. We had paid for two nights but there was no way were going to subject ourselves another night of horror. We left and never looked back. We made the WORST decision ever (Staying there), but then the BEST decision ever (Leaving).

However, this memory, will last us a lifetime, and that my friends, is priceless.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank christinawarkentin
Kanpur
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Very crowded poorly managed hotel in a crowded neighbourhood. Lot of mosquitoes in the room. Not recommended at all

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank dban
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2010

if you stay in the hostel you have to book in at a different site at the hotel veneto sometimes you may even stay in the hotel, staff are unhelpful,well i mean the one we dealt with on our stay. the rooms are horribly warm and i was eaten alive when i was there even though i was in a sleeper sheet. great location though

Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends