“Very good”

Ranked #258 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
“Very good”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night with my wife during our trip in Italy. I can't say almost nothing negative about it. Staff was really friendly. They don't speak russian so I have to translate to other tourist from our group, but my basic english was more than enough to communicate. Hotel is placed in five minutes of Piazza del Duomo, so there is choice of shopping and restaurants around. Room on the first floor was reasonable large, with frescos at the ceiling, and terrace (though small) gave a very nice view to the dome of Santa Maria del Fiore with some swallow flying in front of. Bathroom seems even big comparing to other italian hotels, the only small problem - jacuzzi did not worked, but actually we're was there for Florence, not jacuzzi, of course :) Breakfast had enough of choice for a continental one, even with watermelon. What can I say? Having guarantees for the same room, I'd like to stay at this hotel again and may be again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four nights with several travelers. Our room was nice; I've read reviews that the rooms were too small but that was not my experience. Rooms did seem to vary wildly. Our room had a shower/tub/whirlpool; a few rooms only had a very small shower. Breakfast was weak; one of the smallest selections of food stuffs I have experienced. And the setup of the dining room was quite awkward. There is an outside eatting space which I did not try.

The panoramic rooftop bar was excellent! Great views & extremely reasonable prices for wine. One negative comment is the towels they provide - almost paper thin and abrasive, The hotel can do much better than what they provide in this regard.

San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I was traveling with a large group from my university, and the staff at this hotel were more than accommodating. The breakfast is great for a continental and the rooms are comfortable. Definitely recommend this hotel!

1 Thank Brittany144
san francisco ca
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I looked into staying at Hotel California but they didn't have availability for the time I was in Florence. I also checked into other booking agents to see if they might have a room, but the prices were steep. The rooms for my trip that I had been getting (for a month long trip in Italy) ranged from 79 euro to 130 euro per night and HCalif. wanted over $250 for one.

So I was surprised in a bad way - shocked - when I was in Florence staying in a rented apartment when I looked at my bank account and saw that there was a charge for $261($300 euro) for a room at the HCalif. I walked over to the hotel and talked to the woman behind the desk. She was amazed when I told her my name because she had me as a "no show" and I guess she didn't ever expect to see me face to face. She provided me with papers that showed I charged a room to my credit card. I didn't charge the room to my credit card and nowhere in my computer files do I show that I did. One thing I did though, was to enter a bid on the room which required that I enter my credit card info. I bid a low price that was denied. That is the ONLY way I can think of that they have my current information. All other hotels and apartments that I used gave me an email confirmation, and as an example, I did stay with HCalif. in March of 2008 and I still have that email in my files.

We discussed this and she said that the manager would be back in the morning. I was getting ready to come home and didn't have time to see him/her. But I did email the hotel and received no response. I contacted the software company WuBook to see how this would be possible and the rep said they would look into it, but they did not follow through even though I sent them another email.

My last resource is to file a dispute with the credit card company Capital One and hope that they can get my $261 back for the unused room.

I would never recommend them for 1. the horrible customer service of ignoring me and 2. the fact that they didn't even believe me, that somehow my information was placed into a reservation. I would never book a room and not show up. Why would I be in Florence in another room and not cancel the one at HCalif.?

Will follow up as the saga continues with my bank.

Room Tip: It looks like they spent a lot of money fixing up the lobby since my last stay. Was this because of...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank mosaiciste

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

A fantastic hotel in Florence- very central, helpful staff, amazing, safe complex on a reasonably quiet street. Our window had a view of the Basicilca and was only a 5-10 min walk to the centre of the markets. Via Riscosoli is the street which houses fantastic leather warehouses, gorgeous gelato shops and of course The Academia where Michelangelo's David lives. Only downsides were the wifi charge (€10 for 24hrs) however was a lot better than other places in Italy- dinner that they offer on the rooftop bar is highly recommendable too! Room had an average feel for such a lovely frontier, reception and gardens inside but the bathroom was a beautiful marble thing that was a delight to be in! Rooms cleaned every day and the staff were helpful and available most of the time- quick elevators, beautiful interior, one of the best places we stayed in Italy. Will be staying here again on another planned trip to Europe soon! Nearly 5 stars :)

• Stayed June 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This hotel has a great location, only minutes from the Duomo, a 10 min. walk to Pont Vecchio, close to Piazza Republica and the centro. The reception area is spacious, the staff did their job but seemed bothered by requests for help, or even when we turned in our keys each day. Our room was large and comfortable, and had a great view of Brunellschi's dome. We also had a small balcony though it was too hot to use it. The bathroom was small, but adequate, the shower had plenty of hot water. The AC worked fine with controls that worked well. The breakfast was adequate, with cured meats, cheese, breads and pastries. The best aspect of this hotel was its location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Dome..
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here as a group. They cramped 3 girls in one room. We had to rearrange the room to be able to have room to put our suitcases and even walk around our room. Some of the boys in our room ended up putting a bunch of the tables on top of the armoire so that we would have room. Also, there are bugs/ mosquito. Many of the people in our group obtained bites during our stay at the hotel. Additionally, it wasn't very convenient that they only provided one key for each room. The bathroom that my roommates and I got weren't as nice as some of our other colleagues. Their breakfast is a huge plus and was very delicious. Futhermore, the location of the hotel is ideal because of how close it is to the Duomo.