“Fabulous, everything was excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Guelfo Bianco

Il Guelfo Bianco
Ranked #26 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Queensland, Australia
“Fabulous, everything was excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We caught a taxi from the train station, took 5 mins, as we weren't too sure of the exact location. Some streets in Florence are cobbled so it's harder to drag large suitcases.
Reception desk is always open and staff are very friendly and helpful. Most spoke good English and were encouraging when we tried to speak Italian. We were impressed with every staff member we encountered. Well done to the management, as staff have been carefully chosen.
The system at this hotel is to leave your room key with reception, and they hang it on a hook clearly visible to all, with your corresponding room number - seems to work well, although a little disconcerting when you're not used to it (we wondered what happens when someone pretends to belong to a certain room, in order to check out valuables, but they provide a room safe, which we used).
Our room was on the third floor with a view out the back over various other windows, balconies and rooftops, which was very nice, and very Italian. Rooms are quiet, large, softly lit, beautifully decorated and furnished, very comfortable and have an artistic quality about them. Bathroom is clean and large, ours had a large bath, shower, bidet, toilet, basin - white, with yellow trim, good lighting, tasteful, modern. Artwork on walls throughout the establishment gives the place a cultural air. Soft couches in the waiting area near reception are restful when waiting, the guest book was filled with positive comments and little drawings, the adjoining bar area welcomed us with a drink and snack (delicious) and the breakfast room was spacious and well set out. Breakfast was the best we had during our 10 day stay in Italy. Absolutely superb. The other fabulous thing about the Il Guelfo Bianco is the location. Perfect. You can walk back to your room during the day and leave shopping items, or freshen up.
We stayed in Summer, and the air conditioning was most welcome.
Thanks to staff, we had a wonderful experience at the Il Guelfo Bianco.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

We just got back from a trip to Tuscany which included a stay in Florence at the Il Guelfo Bianco Hotel. I don't make a habit of writing reviews, but I do want to let all of you potential travelers to Italy know of a truly great little hotel, Il Guelfo Bianco. Very conveniently located, virtually a 5 minute walk to the heart of Florence (the Duomo), one can have both peace of mind in a quiet and well-tended hotel run by an extremely helpful and happy staff as well as plunging into the historical center of Florence a mere couple of blocks away. The rooms are large, clean and attractive. We loved our stay at the Il Guelfo Bianco, loved the location, staff and price. Well worth it.

2 Thank CKogon
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

We stayed at Il Guelfo Bianco in July this year and it has quickly become one of our favourite hotels in Italy! From the outset when speaking to staff on the phone or via email there was a friendliness and helpfulness that is sometimes lacking in other hotels. Our room was spacious and the whole family (we have 3 young boys) loved spending time in the airconditioned comfort recovering from our long explorations of Florence in the heat. Staff was very helpful with everything including museum bookings, taxi bookings, extra towels, insomma nothing was too difficult for them. Breakfast was outstanding and we can't thank the Friendly family owners enough for making our stay in Florence a memorable ricordo! We will definitely be coming back! Grazie Guelfo Bianco!!!!

Room Tip: Our quadruple room was very spacious, even though we were 5 people. Bathroom was immaculate, service...
1 Thank JosephMilli
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

We loved our stay here! You can walk anywhere in the city center from here and don't need a car. We had a superior deluxe room, and it was large and cozy. The bathrooms are clean- our shower even had a view of the red roofed courtyard in the back. The breakfast spread was just what we needed to start a big day. The staff helped us make reservations (be sure to make reservations for the museums early- it costs more, but you get to skip the lines, and the hotel will set this up for you); they also had good tips and were very friendly. We had wine and beer in the cafe downstairs in the afternoon which was relaxing. The waiter kept humming "La Vie en Rose" which was our wedding song- it was serendipitous! To add to it all, the large windows and antique furniture mixed with the modern art created a romantic mood that was perfect for our honeymoon. We splurged on the pricey champagne and strawberries, and it was worth it! Loved the stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Penbott
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

The Hotel is perfectly situated on via Cavour...a 10 minute walk from the station, around the corner from the markets and 5 mins to the Duomo area.....but It's not until you get inside that you start to realise this is not just any old Hotel....the staff are friendly & helpful, the ambience is stylish & creative with interesting art pieces & objects, the fit-out is clean & typically Tuscan, the new Bistrot is fab, the breakfast is very nice and room rates are reasonable (and with specials available from time to time) .....but it's the rooms that will impress the most. My wife and I have stayed 6 times and never disappointed...we will definitely be back and would not hesitate to recommend this Hotel to anyone looking for a great value Hotel in the heart of Florence.

Room Tip: The rooms vary in size so I would recommend asking to view before purchase
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mcmstudio
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
Dear friends,

I really wish to thank you for the nice words! It's always a pleasure for all of us to welcome you here. As you already stayed at Il Guelfo Bianco hotel 6 times we can say...we are your florentine house......
Hope to see you again soon...we must have a red carpet for your 7th time here.......
take care, a big hug!

I wish to thank you EVERYONE who write about us here, you are all in my mind even if I do not answer to all of you. Grazieeee!

Antonella Rocchini
WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

I read the reviews and prepared myself for what to expect. The staff, Daniele in particular, was pleasant and wonderful. The other lady (can't remember her name) at the front desk was very helpful too. We had a room on the 3rd floor, facing the street and with the windows shut, there was no street noise at all. The size of the room was amazing. Traveling with 2 teenage girls and there was ample space for all our bags. With the room divider, there was a nice sense of privacy for the girls, and for me and my husband. The air conditioning could have been better but it was never uncomfortable. Room was cleaned well everyday. Good size bathroom, except the toilet was right in front of the sink. It is an old building, with old plumbing. For all of us, not worth complaining about. Breakfast was great, though lacked in variety (after 4 mornings) but I enjoyed the organic jams. The breakfast staff was quite attentive too. Very nice welcome drinks and snacks at the bar. Looked forward to the room every end of our day. Best thing...my family gave me a group hug for a great find. Really a great hotel in a great location!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lacamas
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

Love the location, just a short walk from anywhere you wanted to go really. That said, it is this exact issue that probably breeds a sense of complacency...

We booked a king size bed and ended up with a smaller room literally off the lobby/seating/internet area. At 1am, I finally had had enough and asked the person who was sitting there calling his friends/family in the US, if he wouldn't mind taking his conversation elsewhere.... (scared the poor guy when I came out in my PJ's!!).

We asked to be moved, and were, which is fine. Except that when we came back from our walk, the man at reception said that they couldn't take our bags up because they hadn't been closed. That was a blatant lie, they were not only closed, but locked and packed neatly awaiting transfer.... realised the reason they weren't moved when we got our key... they didn't want to take them up the stairs!!!

Another lie was re the bed - we were told that they don't "do King size in Italy"... funny... everwhere else we booked them, did.... Also, on our trek up to the new room with our suitcases, what did I see.... yep you guessed it... King size rooms and beds... so we were charged for a room that they allegedly don't supply, then when queried re this, they said that they were fully booked...Not a shining example of honesty here...

The highlights were few... mainly being the great location (already mentioned) and the very friendly and helpful barman in the small cafe connected to the hotel. He was funny and informative and the highlight of our stay at the hotel. HE was a great example of hospitality....the rest, not so much....

Florence itself is a wonderful place to visit and see some truely amazing art and architecture, just don't raise your hopes on this hotel.

Room Tip: Not on the ground floor.... insist on this.... even if you have to carry your bags up the rabbit war...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PerthTwinmum
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Dear Perth Twinmum,

first of all I wish to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry didn’t enjoy your stay with us.

Our ground floor rooms are executive rooms with standard double beds and many of our customers love the fact that they have many original features (for example wood ceilings and antique furniture).
We very rarely get complaints about noise in these rooms becaus ethey are overlooking a garden and not the street (even if now teh main strett is pedestrian so it's not noisy).
The reading room has an internet point but it is seldom used by customers because we offer free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by a loud guest that was using the internet late at night and if you had called our front desk (which is manned 24 hours a day), we would have been happy to resolve the situation quickly.
As you said, when you told us you wished to change room we gave you a new room. We really care about our guests and strive to give everyone the best experience (of course there are times when we are unable to satisfy every wish but we do try hard…).

About the bed size:we do have king size beds in all our de-luxe, junior suite and in some of the superio rrooms. I am very sorry and concerned to hear that you were told we do not have king size beds.

About your luggage: I would really appreciate it if you could write me directly with some additional details. Whena guest requests a room change, it is part of our process to ask that he/she leaves the luggage packed and ready in the room as we will need to move it.There are no exceptions to this process unless we are specifically asked not to move the luggage. So,I was really surprised and disappointed to read that we failed to move your luggage despite it being packed and ready.
I am hoping it is a simple misunderstanding between you and the staff on duty but I would like to make sure this is the case and hence please send me some additional details (I need to know when you were here and which room you were moved to). Although we do have an elevator in the hotel, there are some rooms that are only accessible by walking up a short flight of stairs (very common in 15th century palazzos) but please believe me when I tell you that we do not mind the stairs.

Shams, the staff member who works at the bistrot asked me to pass on his thank you for the compliments you wrote about him and I want to assure you that it is the aim of every one of us to give each guest the most pleasant stay. I hope you will find the time to write to me directly so I can have a chance to fix the issues that occurred during your stay.

We hope that if you come back to Florence you will give us a chance to welcome you here again and show you that we really are worth of a 5 star review!

Best regards.