“disappointed in trip advisor rating”
Review of Il Guelfo Bianco

Il Guelfo Bianco
Ranked #31 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Colorado
“disappointed in trip advisor rating”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I have to agree that the location was awesome and that the rooms were clean. But to be rated the #4 in Florence I was disappointed. There was no air conditioning so I had to leave the windows open and there was noise all night. Secondly I thought the beds were umcomfortable. It was a good value for the $ but I don't think it should have been ranked so high. I personally would have paid more for a good night's sleep, but I was trying to trust the the ranking of tripadvisor. The staff was also very helpful and nice.

2 Thank suenac
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Suenac,

thanks for your review but I have I don’t’ know if it’s a mistake or if you really came during the month of November. If so, I just wish to remind you that from November 1st (even earlier because it started to be cooler around middle of October) we switched on the heating in all the hotel and OF COURSE we switched off the air condition. Florence is a beautiful city maybe one of the nicest city in the world but it’s not always summer here unluckly. In November the temperature early morning and night are around 10 degrees, sometimes even colder and here you do not need air condition at all with these temperatures. To be honest ,you cannot be disappointed about our rating on tripadvisor because in November the air condition was not on. We really care about our planet and we try to offer a very good service but we do not like to waste energy and trust me in November in Florence everywhere heatings are on and air condition systems are off.
Regarding the beds I am sorry you found them umconfortable: we did change all mattress less than one year ago and we have now all orthopedic mattress to offer a comfortable sleep to our customers. Thanks for the nice words you and for our staff. We did appreciate.
Take care and bye bye
Antonella Rocchini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Randolph, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We stayed at the il guelfo for 3 nights in Novmber. We had a charming room on the 2nd floor facing the courtyard. The hotel is like staying at some ones Italian grandmothers. Every room has different antique furniture. Out room had high ceilings and a sofa, and a large bathroom with a windfall shower. Breakfast is a cold buffet in a charming area. We bought the Florence pass, so we didn't,t have to wait on any lines, not that there really are any in November. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pack for a room facing the courtyard for a quieter sleep.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We are planning a trip to Florence in mid-December and have reserved four nights at the Il Guelfo. Daniele,who I can only assume responds to every email request, has been exceptionally helpful in assisting us in planning our holiday. While she certainly answered my questions during the booking process, she went above and beyond to call a friend in Cinque Terre to find out the conditions of the area since the floods in October as we were hoping to spend a few days up there. After receiving such service in advance of our stay, I have no concerns as to how we will be treated when we are actually on the ground in Florence.

1 Thank E H
Ashland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I enjoyed staying at this hotel. I stayed in two rooms (first with my daughter, then a smaller room just for me) and both were clean, comfortable with nice bathrooms. I asked for the quieter courtyard side. The breakfast was a wonderful send off each day.- lots of options I could not ask for a nicer staff. They helped with tours, restaurant choices, and taxis. The location was convenient to downtown. I walked from the train station.

Room Tip: Ask for quieter courtyard side.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank badgercat18
California
Reviewed 14 November 2011

My brother and I recently stayed on Il Gelfo Bianco for three nights and couldn't have asked for anything else. We received free drinks upon arrival, a great breakfast every morning and a large spacious room with free wifi. It was centrally located and is only two blocks from where David stands.

Price is right and the hotel is great!

Room Tip: Email hotel directly for best room rate.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Three of us gals came and stayed at Il Guelfo Bianco while in Florence. It was an absolute treat! The staff was so helpful and made great recommendations for dinners. They helped us book tickets at the different sites. If we had a need, they helped us figure it out immediately.

The room was just what we were looking for. It had old world charm, and was nice and clean. Plus, we were right around the corner from the Duomo and all the shopping. We will be staying here again next trip to Florence.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The hotel is lovely! The best part is the location. It's within easy walking distance of the most popular sites, great restaurants and shopping. If you need to maximize a short stay in the city, a great location helps!

I stayed with my sister for 3 nights in room 202 (which has 2 single beds). I choose the hotel after reading all of the wonderful reviews on TA & I was not misled. Even with high expectations, I was pleasantly surprised by the stylish, artful decor. The beds were the most comfortable single beds I slept on during my time in Italy. Thoughtfully, there are extra pillows and blankets in the armoire. The bathroom is spacious and the towels are large. I expected some noise since we faced a busy street, but the noise was well blocked. I only noticed street noise when the windows were open (and of course, you don't have to open the windows at all!)

The breakfast buffet was very good with a wide range of options. I went early the first morning & there were large salads and fresh fruit. The next morning I went later and the fresh salads and fruit were gone. So there is some advantage to grabbing breakfast early.

There is a nice bistro attached to the hotel that serves light dishes and drinks. We enjoyed the bistro in the early evening. It was great to have a place so close to the hotel to relax before dinner.

There were a couple of negatives during our stay. First, the Wi-Fi was spotty. I was never able to connect while in my room. I had some luck in the hallway and the best luck in the lobby. It's not ideal to only have online access in the hotel lobby. Second, the water temperature did fluctuate between hot and cold in the shower. It was by no means unbearable, but definitely noticable.

I did not find the service outstanding, but it was adequate. Typically I wouldn't comment on merely acceptable service, but there were so many comments in the reviews about outstanding service. I didn't experience an above average level of service.

Overall, I loved the hotel and would highly recommend it! I will return the next time I'm in Florence.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ckayj
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
Dear Ckayj,

firts of all I wish to thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. I am happy you like your room. You see we have several rooms overlooking the main street called Via Cavour (which is the street to get to the Piazza Duomo) and they are bright and very nice. If you look from the window you can see also part of the Duomo (The Cathedral with the huge Cupola by Brunnelleschi). Via Cavour used to use a very noisy street but since a couple of years the area is 70% pedestrian (only if you have an authorization you can drive into the center and of course you can drive if you need to get the hotel by car) and it’s much better now. I am happy to hear you appreciate our well blocked windows (in fact we have triple glasses and double windows which have been made we renewed completely the building so when the street wa really noisy because every body could drive in the center).
Regarding our buffet: I am sorry to hear that our bistrot was different when you went down the day after. I spoke with Lorenzo, Sara, Denni ,Shams and Elena (the breakfast room/bistrot staff) and we could guarantee we offer the large buffet till when the breakfast is over (including fresh fruit). Sometimes when the hotel is very busy and all people have breakfast at the same time it could be possible they need more than 5 minutes to replenish the buffet.
Good to hear you liked our bistrot “Il Desco” . Next time you should try it even for lunch (we do have a chef who made express and very good tipycal dishes from 12 till 3,00 pm every day).

Regarding the wi/fi I could guarantee all the customers that we fixed all the problems we had with the wireless access point. You see it has not be easy for us to find the best way to offer a good wi/fi system, considering we do have 40 rooms in two late 15th century palaces. However we have several wireless access point to all the floors and some of them stopped to work. That’s why in the lobby the wi/fi system was working and not in some floors. NOW everything is working (our technician Alessandro came even yesterday to recheck that everything is working). However our front desk assistance is available 24 hours and in case you have problems you can advice us immediately.
Last but not least: you wrote you find our service adequate but not outstanding. Me and my staff are doing OUR BEST to offer and enjoyable and nice stay with us to all the customers. We never pretend to be outstanding but we are happy when people talked about us with great words. We tried to be professional, smiling and helpful with all of you not because we have to but because we like to do it. I hope you can come back again to visit us whenever you wish.
As always I wish to THANK YOU “GRAZIE ” all the customers who choose the Guelfo Bianco for their holiday in Florence and write about us. Believe me we work hard to offer a good service and a great stay to everybody and when we read great review about us we are…jumping for joy 
Ciao
Antonella Rocchini together with the staff “Daniele Dario Francesco Evelyn Marta (front desk) Lorenzo Sara Denni Shams and Elena (breakfast room and bistrot staff) Enzo and Fabio (chefs) Vera, Gabriella, Luisa (Chambermaids)