We have been travelling to Florence for more than 30 years and have visited at least once and often twice a year. We have stayed at accomodations from modest 2 star to 5 star luxury hotels. Several years ago, we stayed at the #1 ranked Hotel Davanzati. We thought the room, the staff, the servce and the location was the best ever at il Guelfo Bianco.
The excellent service began when I sent a total of 8 e-mails asking about the different types and sizes of the rooms in order to decide which one to book. Various staff members responded to my e-mails - very patiently describing the amenities, the decor, the location, the bathrom type and the the size of the room. Daniele seemed to understand what I was looking for - a quiet room with character and charm - and she suggested her favorite room, #226.
We could not have been happier. The room, a deluxe double, was beautiful. It had coffered ceilings that seemed to be 15 feet high, with brick arches separating the bedroom from the sitting room which had a sleeper sofa. My husband kept saying he wanted to buy an apartment just like this hotel room. The king sized bed was very comfortable. There was a huge gilt mirror on one wall and a tapestry on another wall. The furniture throughout the hotel is beautiful and either antique or antique style, while the walls are adorned with tasteful modern art. It is a very nice combination. The bathroom appeared to be brand new and was very attractive, clean and functional.
Upon arrival, we were given a welcome package of a professional, informative Florence guidebook, plus a drink and "nibbles" at their restaurant. We were offered any beverage we wanted and chose a glass of an excellent Chianti wine. The snack was very tasty - bruschetta, fresh, picquant pecorino romano cheese and flavorful salami.
We were there for 3 nights and I looked forward to breakfast every morning. In addition to cereal, yogurt, cold cuts, fresh fruit, homemade jams, freshly baked cakes and various crossants and rolls, they had bruschetta, focaccia, fresh Parmigiano and bufala mozzarella cheese, their own olive oil - which was so fresh and delicious - and crema di balsamico (creamy, thick balsamic vinegar to drizzle on the cheese.) Plus, you had your choice of made to order coffees or tea.
Our room in the back of the hotel was very quiet. Via Cavour, where the hotel is located, now has very limited traffic. There are barriers preventing traffic most of the day, so I would imagine that rooms in the front facing the street are also quiet. There are 40 rooms in the hotel. We were able to see several other rooms when the doors were open for cleaning. Each room seems to be different, but they all seem to be charming.
We had a very enjoyable stay and would recommend this hotel highly. I am very glad I read the many positive Tripadvisor reviews and booked a room at if Guelfo Bianco. I look forward to staying there again in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel is right in the city center, between Piazza Duomo and Piazza San Marco , few steps away from Accademia (the museum where you can see the famous DAVID by Michelangelo). It's housed in two late 15th century building next each other. All rooms are different in size and position - executive rooms have a standard size - superior rooms are larger - de luxe and junior suite are very large with a sitting area. We have rooms overlooking the courtyard, gardens and several rooms overlooking Via Cavour which is the main street but 70% pedestrian and so it's not too noisy. All rooms have triple glasses and double windows. WI/FI available in all the rooms and the drawing rooms and it's free of charge if you have your own laptop or i-phone or i-pad. Bistrot restaurant next door "IL DESCO" open every day (12 till 10,30 pm but on Sunday it closes at 3,00 pm) with good menu' all day long (many organic products directly by the owner's farm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Il Guelfo Bianco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Il Guelfo Bianco Florence
- Il Guelfo Bianco Hotel Florence