“Good location, good service, comfortable”
Review of Il Guelfo Bianco

Il Guelfo Bianco
Ranked #27 of 421 Hotels in Florence
New York City, New York
“Good location, good service, comfortable”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

This hotel was extremely helpful before our trip. They booked virtually every excursion/activity for us quickly and without any hassle. The room was nice and comfortable. It was a nice place to stay at a good price. It is centrally located and a quick walk to virtually everything. The hotel made some excellent recommendations (and reservations) for us for dinner. Breakfast was okay - pretty much a continental breakfast. They do let you order it in the room for only $5. That was a plus. The safe in the room was a little inconvenient as it makes you wait 11 minutes to lock it and another 11 minutes to open it. As you can imagine, this could be a little frustrating when on a tight schedule. The hotel booked a half-day Pisa tour for us through CAF Tours which was exceptionally run. Perfect amount of everything. Gave just enough tour time and just enough alone time. Bus ride through Tuscany beautiful and a great reprieve from walking. There is a bike tour offered by the hotel which we did. Fillipo was our guide and he was so sweet and knowledgeable about Florence. We just wish we did this earlier on into our stay as it was more of an introductory tour and we had seen most of the sites already at that point. However, it was pleasant and enjoyable. Fillipo took us to his favorite gelato shop on the other side of the Arno river where I had the best pistachio gelato of my life.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Dear Dorothy,
thank for your review even if I am a little surprised as you wrote so many nice things about us and you just gave us a 3. However I cannot contest the vote of course. Everybody if free to give the final vote according to his/her own parameters but as I like to be always honest with the customers…..I just say I am surprised…. You wrote we were extremely helpful even before your arrival as we always did, we suggested and booked the excursions for you, the room was nice and comfortable , the location was a quick walk to everything …but of course I am not in your mind. We had to accept this three :–(
Regarding the safety box: in every room there is a safety box. You have only to settle a code that you can choose and than you can open and close it. You need 5 seconds to settle the code 5 seconds to open or close the safe. So if you had to wait 11 minutes to lock and unlock maybe there was a problem with it. However we woudl prefer TO KNOW this kind of problems when the customers are here. It will be so easy to solve them and it will be easy even for the customers do not loose time. As we were ready and helpful before your arrival we are also helpful and quick when the customers are here. I please everybody who will stay with us to advice our front desk if something doesn’t work in the right way. We use to say “request is legitimate answering is courtesy” and “cortesy” for me and my staff is like a “magic word”. It could happen that something we are not able to fix a roblem immediately a problem BUT we always find a solution in a short way. OF COURSE we need to know the problem.
Regarding the breakfast: I think we offer a buffet with a good choice of products and we like to offer HIGH QUALITY products. On our buffet you can find: fresh croissants, homemade cakes, several kind of fresh bread, bruschetta made express every day (toasted bread with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese) , boiled egg , fresh vegetables, fresh season fruit, fruit juices, organic jams, ham, mordatella and salami, granola and cereals, fresh yoghurts. Express coffee, cappuccino, chocolate, tea, hot and cold milk . On request we can make fresh orange juice or scrumbled eggs. Luckly many customers are so happy about it. By the way I would like to thank you all the ncie words the TripAdvisors users have for our breakfast and our staff.
I am glad you like the bike tour with Filippo. It’ s about one year we started this co-operation because we thought it was a different way to visit the town and to appreciate good food (as at the end of the tour you can have a tasting or a lunch at our bistrot restaurant) .
Well I really hope to welcome you here again to see if we can get a 5 from you. I love the customers who give us the top rating but me and my staff we are really happy WHEN EVERYBODY left our hotel with an excellent memory and want to share it with all the tripadvisor user .

Waiting for meeting you again 
Antonella Rocchini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 3 October 2012

About a 4-block straight-shot from the Place Duomo & the heart of the Firenze art district. Nice room, fairly good-sized. Excellent staff. Great breakfast & snacks at the end of the day. Hotel Il Guelfo Bianco has it all covered. We drove into Firenze from Aix-en-Provence and the car was not a problem for them but parking is, by necessity, by valet and pretty expensive - about €50/day. If I had it to do over again, I would've dumped the rental car at the Firenze airport (you go right by it on the way into town) and then re-rented at the end of our Firenze stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen M
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Overall, we had a decent stay at the Il Guelfo...the location is great (walking distance to all the major sites), the breakfast was located in a nice bright room and was very good with very friendly staff, plus our room was large, unique with lots of character and generally comfortable. However, we did have a bit of a negative experience. During our first night stay, I stepped out of the shower into a huge puddle of water that extended all the way to the bathroom door. I couldn't figure out where the water was coming from so I tested it out and realized it was spewing from the corner of the shower/tub. There was not a dry spot on the floor which made it slippery and dangerous to walk on. I called the front desk hopping to have the issue addressed somehow. The staff member told me that there was nothing he could do to help me because he was the only one there for the night. Since getting the issue fixed wasn't an option, I asked if he could move us to another room...he said no, they were fully booked. Considering they were fully booked, I would have expected them to have at least 2 people on staff to help address situations like this! Finally, I asked if I could at least get some extra towels...I had to go down and get them myself but at least we could soak up some of the water! The next day, maintenance came to our room which helped (there was still a leak but not nearly as bad) but was disappointed that they didn't have the coverage to help with it earlier. Also, our room had a bit of a wet basement/musty smell (even before I discovered the leak) which might have been caused by the water issue they had in the bathroom. Overall, the stay was decent but I likely won't return to this hotel when I return to Rome.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Dear Dapfunk187,
I am really sorry you had this problem in our room. You see we have always someone at the front desk 24 hours a day but of course our maintenance worker is not working 24 hours a day. He is available during the day but not the night. We are a 3 star hotel and we have not porter available during the night. The guy at the front desk gave you some towels to dry the water and it’s true he was alone at the time and he cannot fixed that problems. I am only sorry he didn’t bring you up the towels and you had to come down. I do not want to write too many words or find excuses to soften the blow. Sometimes it’s enough one word : SORRY! Of course if we had a room available we immediately gave you another room but the hotel was fullybooked and there was no way for us to move you in a different room. As you wrote the day after our maintenance worker fixed up the problem and I hope you than had a nice stay there. I can understand that when people is on holiday would like to avoid every kind of problems and just relax but a problem could happen even if I do guarantee we always do our best to avoid them. After your check out we went for several time in that room to check that everything was working and even to be sure any kind of musty smell was in that room. I really hope you trust me: every day we do our best to guarantee a pleasant and relaxing stay to everybody.
I wish to thank you for the nice words you have for the room (large unique with lots of characters) also I am happy you like our breakfast room and if that you find a friendly staff. Since when the customers write us for availability we try to do our best to help them and we continue when they are here. We love to welcome them always with a smile. Luckly we have many positive reviews and I wish to thank you all of the customers who write about us here. We always read them carefully and we try to learns something even from the nevative reviews. In Italien we say “we always put our face”.
I really hope to welcome you once again and maybe if you change your mind and you wish to give us a second change I please you to write me directly and I will do my best to avoid every kind of problems for your next stay. I really hope you will think about it :-)
Best regards.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Location was perfect for walking around Florence. Hotel room was very musty, old carpet, curtains. typical tiny bathroom for Italian cities. Breakfast was typical fare of Ham, Cheese, Bread, Fruit and very sweet granola. Reasonable value for money but nothing special. Front desk staff very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear Wood633,
Thank for your review. I am very happy you found our hotel location perfect for walking around. We are few steps far from Piazza Duomo and two minutes walking far from the Accademia, very famous for the David by Michelangelo. However I am sorry you didn’t like the room: we assigned to you an executive room on 4th floor which is bright and comfortable. You wrote the room was musty and if you do not mind I will really appreciate if you could write me more details about your feeling. Our room are all equipped with original antique fornitures , antique handmade curtains an usually our customers are enthusiastic about them. The room has a moquette on the floor which is not old at all. As I always wrote several times here luckly the hotel owners care a lot about the hotel maintenance. Every year the moquette which is no more perfect is replaced with a new one. Than every August we washed carefylly al lthe carpets and moquette. We have also room without moquette (executive room only one with parquet) so in case people prefer marble or moquette they could advice and we will do our best to assign the room with no moquette. Regarding the bathrooms, all of our bathroom have handmade ceramics and they could have shower box or bathtub(the de luxe room and some of the superior have bathtub and shower glass and of course bathroom are larger than the executive ones). I am happy you appreciate our staff: every body is working hard to satisfy all the needs and we are SO HAPPY when the customers leave our hotel with a smiling face and with good memories about us. I am also happy you appreciate our breakfast: we try to offer a typical Italian breakfast with a good choice of fresh products many of them organic. I hope to welcome you again in the future to try to do our best to leave a better memory about IL GUELFO BIANCO. If you dot mind please write a message to my attention and give me more details about the feeling of must you had in your room.
Best regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I usually don't write reviews but felt it I must in this instance. My wife and I recently stayed in this hotel for three nights during a lenthgy Europe trip. This was one of the best hotels we stayed in (ticked a lot of bixes). Firstly, location is amazing (only a few minutes walk from the duomo and other major attractions. Secondly, the hotel staff (special mention - Francesco) were extremely helpful whether providing suggestions of possible things to see/do, directions, local places to eat etc. Thirdly the rooms are well sized for europe and are very clean and comfortable. All in all great value for money and I strongly suggest people stay here (I know we will when we return to Florence).

1 Thank Mani P
Detroit
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I have had the pleasure of staying at the il Guelfo Bianco 10 years ago. I remembered the hotel today and booked it. Well, it was an even better experience the second time around. The location was perfect and the staff was amazing thanks to Antonella and Danielle (thank you again.) The hotel is beautifully decorated quintessential Tuscan with a modern flair, clean, classy and the breakfast was great . We stayed in the roomy two bedroom two bath apartment which slept six comfortably. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel. Please look into it and do not hesitate to book.

Room Tip: if you are a small group or family, opt for the apartment. Reasonable for its accommodations.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank linda a a
Manila
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Great hotel near the train station. When we arrived, our room on the top floor was actually being shot for some sort of e-brochure. To compensate, the staff gave us welcome drinks and were generally helpful. Front desk advised us to still go to the Uffizi first even if we were already late for our reservation. Glad we took his advice.

Breakfast buffet was the best we've had in our stay in Italy (and we've been to Venice, Rome and Modena). Ask them about good restaurants and they won't disappoint with great recommendations. I wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Get rooms in the top most floor away from the street.