“Great hotel and restaurant”
Review of Il Guelfo Bianco

Il Guelfo Bianco
Ranked #26 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed 8 nights recently on our second trip to Florence - we returned to this hotel because of its central location, helpful staff, lovely accomodations and great included breakfast run by the attached restaurant Il Desco. Shams and Sara who run the restaurant throughout the day are very personable and make each meal a unique and special Tuscan experience as all the food is freshly cooked each day. We highly recommend both the hotel and Il Desco restaurant.
Christine and Sean, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,408)

Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed at the Il Guelfo Bianco for four nights at the end of a three week trip to the Adriatic. I had found the hotel via TripAdvisor and booked online. I have to say, after dragging luggage from the train station to the hotel, my first impression was a bit of disappointment, but the hotel and its staff quickly grew on me. By the time we were into our second night, I was convinced that we had made an good choice. By the time we ate at their bistro/wine bar, I was convinced we'd made an excellent choice. Furthermore, its location so close to all the Florence museums was great.

You get the feeling that the hotel is in a set of buildings that were connected over the years, certainly not built as a single entity. But since you're only a block away from the Medici Palazzo that shouldn't surprise. Numerous levels surround a lovely, quiet interior courtyard. I believe there are five floors, but even on a floor, there are small sets of steps to navigate slightly different levels. There were two steps in our room from the entry and bath to the bedroom area.

The family runs the attached bistro/wine bar with food from their own farm in the Tuscan hills nearby. The chef is a genius.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. We had an early departure from Florence and even at 4:30 AM, the desk was staffed for our checkout. The clerk called a cab that arrived only minutes later.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Twice a year I visit this beautiful hotel in Florence. It is always like comming home. The stuff is so friendly and let you feel like being friends. The rooms are so nice and clean and the breakfast is fantastic. Also the bistro is so great... so nice food and wine and always smiling and excelent service.

Alwas looking forward to the next return to Il Guelfo Bianco, my favorite place in Italy.

Take care, Marcel

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Very pleasant hotel in a convenient location. With luggage, it's a taxi journey from the station, but everywhere is in easy walking distance. Everything about the hotel and its staff is good, but what lifts it into excellence for a coeliac is its breakfast. Freshly baked gluten-free rolls and pastries are delivered to the hotel every morning! (Ask the hotel when you book). The rest of the breakfast was reasonably good - fruit, yoghurt, hard-boiled eggs, cheese & meat.
The staff were all extremely friendly and cheerful, and Shams recommended a nearby restaurant (Toscana) as having a good range of gluten-free dishes, including pasta. We liked that so much we had 3 meals there.There's a limited bar in the lobby, and a pleasant bistro attached for light lunches and early evening snacks, although we didn't eat there..
Our room (56) was just fine for a mid-price hotel, but was one of 2 rooms which were 20 narrow steps up from the lift, so anyone with limited mobility should mention that when booking.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, ask to avoid the 2 top floor rooms.
Reviewed 21 October 2012

My husband and I and another couple recently stayed here. If this hotel is rated #8, I would hate to see # 9 or 10. The hotel lobby was dark and small, and not very inviting. The room was very unappealing, dark and not nicely decorated. The only good thing about this hotel was it's location.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank njoy2634
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Dear Njoy2634,
Usually we read with lot of care the reviews written by our customers and I have to tell you the truth: this time I really have a feeling like this is a fake. Sometimes when my collegues are angry because they are sure they got some reviews as fake I always says “no people can do it” but this time SORRY I really feel this is. Usually I like to write polite answer and I spent time together my staff to read carefully the reviews and we keep them in mind to improve our quality and service but this time I prefer to avoid to spend more than a couple of words. I have many flows but the sincerity is one of my best qualities so I prefer to finish here my answer.
Best regards.
Antonella Rocchini

Reviewed 20 October 2012

We spent 3 nights this October at this hotel. It's quite charming and in a great location, only a couple of blocks walk to the Duomo. More importantly, though, were all of the front desk staff. We've forgotten their names but they all were great, made efforts to answer all inquiries (even loaning us a screwdriver to fix a suitcase!) and were simply welcoming. It makes a difference. The breakfast was excellent so it's worth including in your stay. And, the bistro connected to the hotel had great food and staff, too. After mediocre service most places in Rome, we were delighted to experience Il Guelfo Bianco.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

This hotel has been rated as one of the top hotels in Florence. What am I missing? Though the hotel is in a good location, so are many other hotels. The hotel is a hodgepodge of decorating, with rooms that seem old and musty. The bathroom was clean, but the shower was so small that if you turn around, you would rub the sidewalls. Especially after seeing some of the other hotels, I realized how worn this property feels.
The breakfast was adequate with very good coffee. The front desk was generally helpful and did make reservations for me at the Ufizzi. They also suggested a wonderful restaurant.
The service therefore was good.
The reason I rated this 3 stars is that my wife and I did not enjoy returning to the hotel at the end of a long day. The rooms were simply depressing. I just fail to see the upside that other reviewers marvel at.

1  Thank memeye

Dear Memeye,
I am sorry to read you didn’t like our hotel. You are right we are one of the top hotels in Florence and maybe the main reason is because many customers who stayed here enjoyed their stay and they wrote very nice review about us. Of course we are a three star hotel and we cannot offer service of 5 star hotesl which have a ranking higher than us but of course our rates are not as a 5 star hotel. You wrote the hotel is “a hodgepodge of decorating” you are right: as I wrote many times our hotel housed in two late 15th century buildings and we tried to keep the original style of the palace even for the decorations. We never advertise our hotel as a modern or design hotel because it’ s not. All the rooms are equipped with antique ORIGINAL furnishings and many people appreciate it and we hope people when they choose to make a reservation here could have an idea about it as we have many pictures on our webpage and many customers add several pictures even when they write a review (by the way thank to everybody who does!) . If you were looking for modern or design hotel you have to book a different place and not Il Guelfo Bianco. Luckily in Florence there is a good choice of different hotels to suit all tastes. In our rooms you can find antique carpets , wood ceiling, original antique stoves, cabites of various ages completely renewed…if you think these things are old musty maybe it’s because they do not match your tastes but AGAIN you should look at the pictures and the descriptions about our house before to make a booking. Il Guelfo Bianco is not a design and modern hotel and it has never be advertised like it. Regarding the shower I am surprise to read you find it very small, I can guarantee to you that everything here has been made respecting all the feautures required by the law. Of course we have several kind of rooms: executive have a standard size – superior are larger de luxe and junior suite are very large rooms with sitting areas and of course even bathrooms are different (the bathrooms in the superior or de luxe rooms are larger than the executive ones) but Of course even rates are different. I cannot really accept the word you use to describe our room “depressing”. Telling the truth…it’s a bit offensive, too…. I am happy you has nice words for our staff and I do thank you for everybody who works HARD every day here to satisfy the guest’s needs.
Usually I do suggest to our customers to give us another change but in this case I think you were expeting something different so maybe we cannot be able to satisfy your needs even in the future.
Best regards