“holiday”

Ranked #27 of 421 Hotels in Florence
venice
“holiday”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Stayed 6 nights from 17th Oct good location only about 150m from duomo, rooms ok but ours had only one wardrob with no hooks,only about 10 hangers no draws to put anything,we where on top level faceing the road ,you had to close windows very good quod glassing to keep the noise out.The aircon was ok but not great as you could only alter the temp from 24c to 22c,so was quite hot at night.Breakfast was ok but would go to pot if hotel was full,they did not have enough plates,plus you had to wait for refill of some food,had hard bolied eggs on table,but when asked for fried eggs was told thats extra euros.

Room Tip: I think rooms at back could be quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Dear Pinnock,

thank you for your review. We always read carefully what the customers write and we like also to give the answers especially when they have a complain.
Rooms: our rooms are all equipped with ORIGINAL antique furniture and usually people like them very much. Even the wardrobes are antique but they are enough large to store the clothes. In every wardrobes there are hangers but if you need more you could simply ask to the front desk assistants who immediately provide more hangers. When you were here you could ask us to have more of them and we could provide them to you . 10 hangers can be a lot if people travel light but they can be not enough if people has many things in the suitacases. We do prefer if you ask us so you could be happy because we solve your problem and we will be not angry to read it just when you left. We tried to do our best to guarantee an enjoyable stay to everybody but when someone has a problem it’s very important for us to know about it in time. The rooms overlooking Via Cavour which is the main street to the Duomo square are all equipped with triple glasses and double windows to avoid noises. If you keep the windows closed you cannot here noisy from the street. Via Cavour is now 70% pedestrian street so is not so noisy but if you like to keep the windows open of course they are not so quite like rooms on the back side. If you like to keep the windows open you can ask us to have a room on the back side. Usually we try to meet all the guest needs even if sometimes during the high season is not so easy (however we have many customers who prefer rooms on the street side because they like to look have a city view). Regarding air condition: in every room there is a small computer to settle the air condition: you are right you can lower the temperature till 22 degrees which is acceptable if outside the temperature is over 30 degrees. The most important thing is to keep the window closed: if the window are open automatically the air condition stops (we choose this system to avoid to waste energy as we try to do our part to preserve our planet already too stressed due to the pollution). If you were here during the month of October temperature in the night was lower than 10 degrees so I could be not so hot in the room, maybe the reason you felt hot, it was simply because the air condition didn’t work due to the open windows. You could advice about it our front desk guarded 24 hours a day and they could solve your problem in less than 5 seconds checking on the main air condition computer we have on the desk.
Breakfast: I can ensure to you that we do have enough dishes to serve breakfast even when our hotel is full. Maybe if many customers have breakfast all at the same time the buffet table was out of them but luckily our breakfast room staff are always very fast to replace them like they do their best to refill the food as we made everything express it’s possible sometimes we need more than 10 seconds to replace everything , but I could guarantee to you all of the guys and the girls they work here they do their best to replace the buffet till end of the breakfast. I have to say sorry if you found the boiled eggs a bit hard, usually people is very happy about them. We had so many nice reviews but our customers who loved our buffet with all fresh and organic dishes and as many hotels we have also some items which are not included and they can be prepared on request for an extra charge (like fried eggs or scrumbled eggs). However on our buffet you can find either boiled eggs and also peeled boiled eggs with vegetables.
I hope I gave you enough answer to all your complains but I would like to repeat one more time…if you have some complain which ca be easily solve when you are here please ask us….sometimes its’ so easy to solve a problem if we know about it…
I really hope to welcome you here again whenever you decide to come back in Florence

We are a bit sad in this period because we got several reviews with a grade below our average even if every day we work hard and with same kind of passion, enthusiasm and always with a smile …. I hope you can trust us the goal is make you happy :-)

Antonella Rocchini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Kent
Reviewed 30 October 2012

This is a lovely old house (15th century) converted into an hotel. It is a three star but I would say it is more like a 3+ to 4 star. The hotel is not too big and there are interesting artifacts and art within the hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Our rooms (executive - the cheapest) was very good, clean and comfortable. A top floor room secures a view over the roof tops of the Duomo. We were treated to a free lunch in the bistro which was delicious. The hotel is very central - 5 minutes from the Duomo and therefore very close to most of the attractions. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a reasonable priced hotel, central located with good food and lovely staff.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor with a view of the Duomo.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel from 2 Oct to 7 Oct 2012. About a 15-minute walk from the Santa Maria Novella train station, this was a very pleasant hotel minutes away from all the major attractions in Florence. We had a very nice welcome drink and snacks at the Bistro along the sidewalk and also enjoyed a good complimentary lunch at the same place. The staff spoke good English and were extremely helpful with all our queries and also per-booked our tickets to the Ufizzi and the Academia. They also booked our one day trip out to Siena and San Gimingnano as well as our shuttle bus to the Mall outlet. The room we had (103 I think) was one of the largest we have ever stayed in and had a fantastic ornamental timber ceiling that we never tired of looking at. There were 2 TVs in the room, one facing the bed and a smaller one at the seating area off the bedroom proper. The rest of the hotel was beautifully decorated in the old fashioned style and was very atmospheric when walking through. We had a blast in Florence and Il Guelfo Bianco played a big part in our overall experience.

Room Tip: Room 103 was quiet although facing the street and huge.
Fairfax Station, VA
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Cannot say enough good things about the Guelfo Bianco. Located just several blocks from the historic center of town, with charming rooms. Breakfast buffet, which came with price of the room, was marvelous.

The staff could not be any nicer. Francesco and Antonella were so nice. The airline lost one of our bags on our arrival in Florence and Antonella and the rest of the staff went out of their way to help us get it back. The service and friendly attitude is among the best we have ever experienced at any hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed 29 October 2012

This was a nice little place to stay in Florence. The prices weren't too bad and the rooms were a decent size. It was pretty clean and the location is really quite good.
I can't say it'll blow you away, but it's certainly a solid place. The breakfast bar was really good. Pastries, fruit, juice, cheeses, eggs...can't complain a bit. In fact, they had this jelly for the croissants that I couldn't get enough of. The woman and guy who served the tables were very sweet people and took great care of the guests.
My main complaint is safety. Personally, I can take pretty good care of myself. As long as my wife's with me, she had good protection. However, if my wife were traveling alone or with other women, I would not recommend staying here.
When you leave this hotel to go exploring, you typically leave your key. It hangs behind the front desk and when you come back, they hand it to you. This sounds great, but there are issues that should be addressed. At night, when we'd come back, more often than not, the person at the front desk would be gone and I'd have to go looking for them to get my key. At times, they're sitting in the cafe, on a computer or smoking somewhere. The reason this is such a huge issue is because I could have easily grabbed a few keys myself, ransacked some rooms and been gone before anyone had known. This is unsafe. If you're traveling alone, consider this and make liberal use of the safes.

Room Tip: Interior room seemed to be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
I am quite happy that you really like our breakfast and you found people who served the tables were sweet and they took a good care of the guests. Regarding the room you wrote they do have a “decent size” I would like to remember to all the customers rooms are all different here in size that why we have executive superior de luxe and junior suite. The executive rooms have a standard size, superior are larger, the deluxe and junior suites are very large rooms with a sitting area. We start from a min. of 14 square meters for the executive rooms up to 40 square meters for the largest de luxe and junior suites.
Everybody who works here try to do his/her best every day helping the guests with all their needs even before their arrivals and sometimes even after their departures. Many many people who stayed here once became a friend for us and we are in touch with many guests even thanks to Facebook. You are right our hotel is a solid place and I have to point out something about the safety here: I can guarantee to everybody that our hotel is a safety place: our front desk is monitored 24 hours a day. It’s possible that sometimes people of our staff who are on duty at the front desk have to move for a short time but not because someone is going to sit in the café’ (we can have a café’ anytime in our small bar just 10 meters far from the desk ). Everybody here is working hard to guarantee a pleasant stay to the customers and luckily reading all the nice reviews people leave here we can say they do appreciate our job. We have many many solo travelers especially women who are enthusiastic about us because we are always available for every kind of problems and we had many people who suggest our hotels to some friends who decide to travel alone because its’ a safe place and the staff is friendly and helpful and always ready to give good advices. I do not think at all it could be any kind of danger here either if you travel with a companion or if you travel alone. During the night sometimes the night auditor is moving in the breakfast room to finish to settle the tables and the buffet but we have always a way to check our front desk. I am sorry you had this bad feeling it seems we do not care enough about the guests and our job ….trust me this is a kind of job you can do if you really like it especially in an hotel like Il Guelfo Bianco with a family atmosphere. However I feel to say sorry if we did something wrong with our behavior and you draw a wrong conclusion. The hotel is right in the city center in a quite area and it’s very safe to walk around even late night. I really hope I gave you enough info to change your mind about the safety here at our hotel. Thanks to all the great reviews we received by our marvelous guests we have a ranking of 4,70 on TripAdvisor and every day with every single customer we do our best to earn this great ranking and believe me we have to work hard to keep it so high!
Well, I really hope to welcome you once again in the future even to show you how we slave away to be one of the top hotels in Florence but we do always with a smile 
Best regards.
Antonella Rocchini
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We loved this hotel! The hotel was very clean, the rooms were very large and the breakfast was fantastic. The staff was very helpful with train reservations and tickets to the museums. We would highly recommend this hotel and definitely would stay here again. And we choose this hotel from our research on Trip Advisor!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We spent three nights at the hotel. It is very conveniently located to the attractions in Florence. The staff at the front desk provides great directions to all the sites and services. Taxis showed up within minutes of their calling them. They have a plentiful supply of umbrellas at the door - they came in very handy. The breakfast is not large but the food is incredibly fresh. Rooms are a good size especially considering it is a three star downtown hotel. The attached bar/café which is only open in the afternoons services great drinks and antipasto type snacks with a smile. We stayed here at the recommendation of my niece who had stayed here and it more than met here recommendation.

Room Tip: higher floor or no street view to avoid street noise, which is not excessive but I prefer avoiding.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends