“Our 3rd stay in one year”
Review of Il Guelfo Bianco

Il Guelfo Bianco
Ranked #32 of 412 Hotels in Florence
Reading, PA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,813 helpful votes
“Our 3rd stay in one year”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

This charming and beautifully appointed hotel is very conveniently located. You can easily walk to all the major sights. The staff are pleasant and professional.

Prior to our first visit, I had numerous emails with various staff to decide which room to book. After I made my decision, they agreed to assign that room to me. Now, I supppose because they have become very popular, they are reluctant to guarantee a particular room - even if booked months in advance. Fortunately, we have been able to get the room we wanted for all three of our visits. It is a beautiful, spacious room with high coffered ceilings and antique furnishings. It is quiet since it faces the courtyard.

The breakfast is one of the best I have ever had. Everything is fresh and very tasty. Their brochure explains where where the milk, olive oil and many of the other products come from. It is obvious everything is of the highest quality. I just wish breakfast were served earlier than 7:30. The major museums in Florence open at 8:15. The three days we were at the hotel, the breakfast room was very busy at 7:30. There was only one (very hard working) person who was setting up the buffet and taking and preparing the hot beverage orders. If breakfast were served earlier, perhaps everyone would not come at the same time since I am sure many of the "early birds" were there for the same reason we were - to get to the museums for 8:15 reservations.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank luvroma2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix
Reviewed 9 January 2013

All I can say is thank you for your wonderful hospitaility I enjoyed for my first visit to Florence. The room, breakfast and location were excellent. When I return, I will be staying at your place again. Now if I can just figure out how to get your staff to make me an expresso in my home in the states. Great time and experience.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MichaelTreaveler
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This was our second stay at the Il Guelfo Bianco in Florence. We had 2 rooms for 3 nights and our family of 4 enjoyed the hospitality very much. The hotel location is excellent and the staff is very helpful and knowledgable which helps considerably. The rooms are comfortable and very clean. The inlcuded breakfast has a variety of wonderful items which helps begin the day. We will gladly stay in this fine hotel on our next trip to Florence. Good job, well done.
Thank very much.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard P
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I booked this hotel for 4 nights for my parents and I. My parents loved the quaint feeling of the hotel, thought the staff were very gracious and enjoyed the spacious room and bathroom. The breakfast is a great value, with delicious cold cut meats, cheese, yogurt, granola, fruit AND they have an espresso bar so they make you lattes, cappuccinos etc!

We also loved the welcome drink we received.

The only thing i thought the hotel might be able to improve upon was the wifi, which is a little inconvenient to use since you have to re-enter a username/ password everytime you want to use it.

• Stayed December 2012
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear mussmoto05,

I wish to thank you very much for the nice words you had for our hotel and we are so happy you liked our breakfast.
Regarding the wi-fi I wish to inform you and all the TripAdvisors readers that we do have a line available only for the hotel guests which is offer free of charge. . When we settle the wi/fi system we could choose between a system where you have to enter an user and a password or a system where you have to enter only a password. If the system requires only a password you need to enter it only once and then you can surf always if the system requires both (user and password as our system) every time you wish to surf you must enter user and password again. That’s why when a customer arrived we always print for him/her a paper with user and password.
I really hope to welcome you here again and I remain with my best regards
Antonella Rocchini
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 January 2013

The location cannot be beat! The breakfasts were wonderful, all fresh and organic ingredients. The coffee was the best in all of Italy that I tried (and I tried a lot of coffee). The staff were very helpful. Caution driving to the hotel, there are limited traffic zones, read about this if you do not know what they are. Follow the directions given by the hotel, not Google. Parking is expensive.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebecca J
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My husband, sister and brother in law stayed here 2 nights at the beginning of November 2012. We had an amazing trip all throughout Italy, but this was one of our favorite hotels!
The room was very large, even for US standards. It had a sitting area, area for our luggage, desk, and a nice sized bathroom. The window overlooked a beautiful courtyard.
The staff was so helpful. They really made our trip special. Everything from helping with dining choices and reservations, helping us get a taxi large enough for 4 of us and our 11 pieces of luggage, communicating with a winery that we had to change a reservation for in Tuscany, getting us museum reservations, serving us at the bar late night after dinner, and even chilling a bottle of Limoncello for us for the following day.
Thank you Antonella, Giulia, Daneile, Dario, Francesco, Evelyn, Shams, Sara, Federico, Elena, and Denny. We will definitely recommend you for others traveling to Firenze!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ilana01
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed 5 nights at this hotel in August 2012, and it was a wonderful stay! Our room was huge by European standards. The staff was helpful and very nice. According to their brochure, the family who owns the hotel also owns a farm and sells their olive oil in the hotel, which is wonderful. Also, the breakfast buffet was a typical, cold European breakfast extravaganza! Every day there was fresh buffalo mozzarella. The staff makes coffees to order. The beds featured the thickest, crispest cotton sheets I've ever seen. the bathroom was beautifully decorated with loud Italian red tiles. My only complaint: our room was over the central courtyard, and despite the double windows being closed, the early morning noise was extremely loud, with plates and silverware clanging and every voice echoing up the walls. The location is superb, close to everything. This hotel is a great value, and we would stay again any time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carole C
Dear Carol C,

thank you for the review and we are happy you remember to write about us after so many months as you stayed here last August.
I do apologize regarding the noise you heard in the morning. Usually our staff is always leave the door closed between the kitchen and the courtyard to avoid problems with the guests. Maybe during those days they didn't . Sorry. I do promise you we will do our best do not forget it open.....however maybe windorws yoru room was not closed in the right way because with double windows closed you should never hear noise.
We really hope to welcome you here again whenever you decide to come back in Florence.
Best regards and take care.
Antonella Rocchini