The hotel was smack in the centre of town. It was just minutes away from the Duomo, the Academia, the Palazzo Vecchio, San Lorenzo market, and all the good food places that the front desk will recommend if you ask. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children. The restaurants recommended were always where the Italians dined, so we felt immersed in the culture.
The hotel breakfast was great! Yummy organic blueberry jam that my husband could not get enough of. The staff on duty went out of their way to do faces with cream on the children's hot chocolate.
We stayed in their one and only apartment for a week. Heating was great. The downside about the apartment is, while you have a kitchen, you cannot cook in it. So we bought back pizza and pasta on nights we were too tired to go out for dinner. There is a washing machine in the bathroom, but bring your own detergent.
The front desk will book your restaurants for you. We did a bike tour through them. The guide Filippo (hope I spelt his name right) was very knowledgeable and had recommended a shorter tour rather than a half day as my 8 year old would not have the stamina on the cobble stone streets. We would love to go back one day to do a Tuscan country day tour with him. We ended our bike tour with a lunch at the hotel's bistro. Fantastic food and we loved their organic wine (produced at the owners' farm). We bought a few bottles for our friends who all loved it.
That said, I will not hesitate to recommend this hotel to families and will choose to stay there again when I visit Florence.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel is right in the city center, between Piazza Duomo and Piazza San Marco , few steps away from Accademia (the museum where you can see the famous DAVID by Michelangelo). It's housed in two late 15th century building next each other. All rooms are different in size and position - executive rooms have a standard size - superior rooms are larger - de luxe and junior suite are very large with a sitting area. We have rooms overlooking the courtyard, gardens and several rooms overlooking Via Cavour which is the main street but 70% pedestrian and so it's not too noisy. All rooms have triple glasses and double windows. WI/FI available in all the rooms and the drawing rooms and it's free of charge if you have your own laptop or i-phone or i-pad. Bistrot restaurant next door "IL DESCO" open every day (12 till 10,30 pm but on Sunday it closes at 3,00 pm) with good menu' all day long (many organic products directly by the owner's farm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Il Guelfo Bianco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Il Guelfo Bianco Florence
- Il Guelfo Bianco Hotel Florence