“Wonderful stop for Honeymoon!!”
Review of Il Guelfo Bianco

Il Guelfo Bianco
Ranked #31 of 411 Hotels in Florence
New York, NY
“Wonderful stop for Honeymoon!!”
Reviewed 11 September 2008

Wow! We stayed at this charming hotel for 2 nights during our Honeymoon. Everything about the hotel is top-notch. The front desk was unbelievably helpful. They made reservations for us at two museums and found us great restaurants both nights we were there (no easy feat for Florence in August)!

Our room was lovely and very large. It was at least twice, probably three times the size of rooms we stayed in other cities on our trip. Impeccably clean with a good breakfast every morning I simply cannot recommend this hotel enough!

• Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 7 September 2008

We stayed here for four nights in August as part of our honeymoon. As soon as we arrived, we were made to feel very welcome and the staff really went out of their way to make our stay special. We were allocated a fantastic room with a beautiful frescoed ceiling, and despite facing a busy road, the room itself was very peaceful (with the exception of the odd grumble from the air conditioning unit).
Many other reviewers have commented on the hotel's brilliant location and I can only agree. It's so close to many of Florence's attractions and while it seems like you might get lost exploring the city, the hotel is always very easy to find: look up, spot the dome of the Basilica (which you can't miss), and turn left - it's that simple!
One word of advice: if you plan to visit some of the major galleries (the Uffizi, the Accademia, etc) it's well worth reserving tickets in advance. Unfortunately, we didn't, so despite spending over two hours queuing in the blistering heat, Michelangelo's David remains elusive ... until my next visit!

• Liked — The location and friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — If pushed to say anything, then I'd say that the air conditioning was sometimes a little noisy
ct
Reviewed 3 September 2008

So close to walking EVERYWHERE. The staff was friendly and helpful. Made great dinner recommendations. We were a little concerned (my husband, and my in-laws) about how noisy outside was, but our rooms were SO quiet. The rooms were probably the biggest of any hotel we stayed in Italy, and very clean. The only complaint I would have is the A/C wasn't the coldest (but we were also in Florence during the hottest weekend they had all summer).

If and when I return to Florence I would go back to this hotel.

• Liked — Proximity to great tourist attractions and transportation
  • Disliked — A/C didn't work overly well.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
willdunbar
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I have little to add beyond what other recent reviews cite. Just wanted to share my experience of this hotel, which was completely positive. We arrived in Florence very early in the morning by train from Munich. I was worried that the front desk might not yet be open, or a room available (we wanted to dump our stuff and take a shower before going out sightseeing). The hotel was open, and a room was instantly available. The room itself was spacious and beautifully decorated, with very high ceilings paneled in wood coffers. The bathroom was modern and large. We had a "double deluxe" class room.
Several people staffed the front desk in turns; all spoke fluent English, all were cheerful and helpful, and were of great assistance booking tours and making restaurant recommendations.
The hotel itself is very conveniently located. We walked there from the train station (about 10 minutes), and the distance to the duomo or other major sights is very small.
I would definitely stay here again on a future visit, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend il Guelfo Bianco to anyone else going to Florence.

• Liked — Large and beautiful rooms; friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 31 August 2008

As a professional who works in the travel industry, I have rarely stayed at a nicer hotel. My wife and I stayed at Hotel Il Guelfo Bianco for two nights in August and absolutely loved this centrally situated hotel. Our room was exquisitely decorated in traditional Tuscan style. The bathrooms have beautiful hand painted ceramic tiles. The hotel staff is extremely nice and the breakfast included in the room rate is delectable. For the price you can't get any better. On my next stay in Florence I am definitely returning to Hotel Il Guelfo Bianco.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Well if I have to mention something - the remote control for the TV was a bit difficult to operate but not a big deal.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We stayed for 4 nights at Il Guelfo Bianco in Florence. It is in a great location, about 5 minutes from the Duomo and 2 minutes from the Accademia. It is on a busy street but our room faced an inner courtyard and it was very quiet. The room was clean and spacious. At the front desk, Frederico gave us great restaurant ideas and Giulia graciously helped us with other things, like explaining the bus system.
Your room key turns on the air conditioning; when you are away all day, the air is off. It is an efficient way to save energy...you don't come back to an air conditioned room when you are out all day, but it didn't take long for the a/c to cool the room down. You may want to think about taking a room that doesn't get a lot of sun if you are there in the summer (although the heavy curtains worked pretty well against the sun's heat).
Breakfast was just enough to get you started and there is plenty to choose from. Eating in one of the courtyards is delightful, but depends on whether or not guests who are in the rooms that face the courtyards are up when you decide to eat. Plenty of nice tables inside when this happens (and nice to know that if you are sleeping in, you won't be disturbed by people eating outside your window, as it were).

• Liked — location, cleanliness and helpfulness of the front desk
  • Disliked — nothing really bad
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I am a tour operator and have been taking my small groups to the Guelfo Bianco for over 3 years now and have been very satisfied with all the responses I get from my clients.
I was born and raised in Florence, so I was very pleased when I saw how the owners had restructured a noble residence in V. Cavour, one of the largest street's in Florence's historical center, into a fabulous hotel with modern amenities, while at the same time, preserving the original structure and its charm.
I have personally visited over 100 hotels (small and large) in my home town and this is one of the best ones.

Here are what I consider the advantages of this hotel and why I chose it for my groups:
- It's centrally located in the historical center, in walking distance to all the major sites
- It's on a wide street, which may not seem like a big deal, but if you're trying to unload your bags in a tiny street and you're holding up traffic, this comes as a real plus.
- All the staff is incredibly helpful and smiling, including Gen. Manager Antonella, and the owner's daughter, Giulia, who also works at the hotel.
- The rooms are larger than the average that you'll find in any historical area in Italy.
- It's close to internet cafe's, ATMs, the Tourist information Center, and great restaurants.

• Liked — Proximity to sites, Staff friendliness, size of rooms & decoration
  • Disliked — Small reception area, can get crowded very easily
  • Stayed May 2008