“Love the Guelfo Bianco!”
Review of Il Guelfo Bianco

Il Guelfo Bianco
Ranked #27 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 26 September 2008

My home in Florence.

I absolutely loved my 10 days in Jul/Aug at this hotel. It was one of the highlights of my trip to Italy, and I would highly recommend to any one thinking of a central hotel in Florence. Do not bother with any other hotel, this is one of the very best hotels that I have ever stayed in anywhere.
Hotel is in a league of its own compared to lots of hotels in Florence, and Italy for that matter. It is great value for a three star hotel, as it has the rooms, staff and overall service of a higher rating hotel.
To begin with the Location is unbeatable for getting around Florence hot spots. Located in via Cavour, you can walk to anywhere of interest, all the sights, museums, galleries etc.
It’s only 3 mins walk down to the Doumo, the famous Florence leather market is 2 mins away, so is the food markets ( yum-don’t miss it!), and then everything else in pretty much a 10-15 walk, Uffizi, Pitti Palace, Ponte Vecchio.
My room at the hotel was 1st class, pretty spacious with lots of natural light. A big comfy bed, LCD TV, big spotlessly clean bathroom, fantastic balcony facing into an inner courtyard with views onto some old Florentine houses. The balcony room is room 124 for those who may be interested, it is a double room. The room servicing was daily and was really good, everything was kept spotlessly clean.
Their complimentary toiletries in the bathrooms are worth a mention, they provided gorgeous olive oil based bathroom soaps and shampoos, all made in Italy ofcourse and much better than what you would normally get.
The extra special staff, Federico, Daniel and the gorgeous Gulia, all professionals. Always happy and friendly, and will point you in the right direction for good restaurants etc.
Their reception service is better than average and to be commended.
The hotel offers all sorts of extra little touches that other hotels just over look, choccies at the bar in the lobby, the staff often made me a coffee, or a nice little aperitif to have at the bar with my choccie.
A computer point is available for hotel guests, all the latest magazines and also some books for guests enjoyment.
Breakfast is just simply scrumptious, and all you need to start your day. On offer are all the usual goodies that you get plus more, there's yummy fresh fruit, organic jams, delicious crème filled croissants, fresh coffee, boiled eggs, bruschetta, cheeses, prosciutto, what other hotel would have prosciutto and bruschetta for breakfast if you want it, much better than the standard breakfast at most hotels .
Thanks to everyone at the hotel!
You made it all so easy to stay there, thanks for taking care of my needs and giving me such a great room.
Everything made my stay absolutely fantastic and I can’t wait to come back soon.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,417)

Reviewed 24 September 2008

My wife Ann and I spent the first 5 nights of a 12 day trip to Italy at Il Guelfo Bianco and were blown away by the quality of the rooms, the incredible staff and the proximity to all of the Florentinian sites. From the moment we entered our room (a jr. suite - room 103 - ask for it when you make the rez!) we knew that we were in for a great trip and that held so true that when we returned to Florence after 5 days in Chianti we decided that we wanted to stay back at Il Guelfo. Our room was very large with a lot of beautiful features (see pics attached) and had a lot of the things that we look for when we travel which is often from soft towels and sheets to a real unique look and feel - and the shower's water pressure was awesome! The art on all of the halls added a really special touch.

We met a really nice couple from Wales and showed them our room and they were sad that they had not found Il Guelfo. They were staying at a 4 star hotel.

Btw, the included breakfasts were fantastic. They were healthy and the staff made us all of the espresso drinks we could handle in the morning. When it came to recommendations the staff was stellar, friendly and went to every length to ensure that our stay was a memorable one. Daniele spend 15 minutes helping me find a tennis court for example and I got to play on the red clay of Italy!

We can't recommend Il Guelfo Bianco highly enough.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2008

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in August and would highly recommend it. We were given a room with a terrace which was wonderful. The location is wonderful. Less than five minutes walk from the Duomo. Less than 10 minutes walk from most of the major churches. Two minutes from the gallery housing the David. The daytime receptionist was extremely helpful. She even took my leather backback home with her to get it repaired for me. I can't say enough nice things about the receptionist.
This is Europe, so do not expect "American" size rooms, but the rooms were large for the price range. The bathroom was large, modern and clean. The internet is charged extra and I would advise to goto one of the internet cafes as the rates are very reasonable.

Reviewed 11 September 2008

Wow! We stayed at this charming hotel for 2 nights during our Honeymoon. Everything about the hotel is top-notch. The front desk was unbelievably helpful. They made reservations for us at two museums and found us great restaurants both nights we were there (no easy feat for Florence in August)!

Our room was lovely and very large. It was at least twice, probably three times the size of rooms we stayed in other cities on our trip. Impeccably clean with a good breakfast every morning I simply cannot recommend this hotel enough!

Reviewed 7 September 2008

We stayed here for four nights in August as part of our honeymoon. As soon as we arrived, we were made to feel very welcome and the staff really went out of their way to make our stay special. We were allocated a fantastic room with a beautiful frescoed ceiling, and despite facing a busy road, the room itself was very peaceful (with the exception of the odd grumble from the air conditioning unit).
Many other reviewers have commented on the hotel's brilliant location and I can only agree. It's so close to many of Florence's attractions and while it seems like you might get lost exploring the city, the hotel is always very easy to find: look up, spot the dome of the Basilica (which you can't miss), and turn left - it's that simple!
One word of advice: if you plan to visit some of the major galleries (the Uffizi, the Accademia, etc) it's well worth reserving tickets in advance. Unfortunately, we didn't, so despite spending over two hours queuing in the blistering heat, Michelangelo's David remains elusive ... until my next visit!

Reviewed 3 September 2008

So close to walking EVERYWHERE. The staff was friendly and helpful. Made great dinner recommendations. We were a little concerned (my husband, and my in-laws) about how noisy outside was, but our rooms were SO quiet. The rooms were probably the biggest of any hotel we stayed in Italy, and very clean. The only complaint I would have is the A/C wasn't the coldest (but we were also in Florence during the hottest weekend they had all summer).

If and when I return to Florence I would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I have little to add beyond what other recent reviews cite. Just wanted to share my experience of this hotel, which was completely positive. We arrived in Florence very early in the morning by train from Munich. I was worried that the front desk might not yet be open, or a room available (we wanted to dump our stuff and take a shower before going out sightseeing). The hotel was open, and a room was instantly available. The room itself was spacious and beautifully decorated, with very high ceilings paneled in wood coffers. The bathroom was modern and large. We had a "double deluxe" class room.
Several people staffed the front desk in turns; all spoke fluent English, all were cheerful and helpful, and were of great assistance booking tours and making restaurant recommendations.
The hotel itself is very conveniently located. We walked there from the train station (about 10 minutes), and the distance to the duomo or other major sights is very small.
I would definitely stay here again on a future visit, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend il Guelfo Bianco to anyone else going to Florence.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family