Il Guelfo Bianco
Grand Hotel Minerva(Florence)
US$390
US$373
  • Breakfast included
Hilton Florence Metropole(Florence)(Great Value!)
US$194
US$180
US$372
US$343
2,451 results
All reviewsbruschettamodern artvia cavourolive oiljunior suiteperfect locationtrain stationpastriescharming hotelstreet sideroom was largewould definitely stay here againold world charmwould highly recommend this hotelfew minutes walkbreakfast was delicioussan lorenzo market
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel as it was the #10 hotel in Florence on TripAdvisor. It is in a great location, however it lacks the luxury we are used to. If you are comfortable in Holiday inn or Ramada, then you will be happy with this hotel. Don't get me wrong, it's clean and a good place to stay if you just want the basics. For those with limited means, it's great.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank JasonNazzaro
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Jasonazz,

well we are a bit surprise reading your review….first of all we are listed #10 on TripAdvisor not because we are a luxury hotel. We never wrote we are a luxury hotel and we have not rates for a luxury hotel. It will be the dream for all people to pay rates for a three star hotel and sleep in a 5 star hotel and to have luxury service but the reality is quite different. Besides, I really do not understand how you can compare our hotel to an Holiday Inn or a Ramada hotel….I spleep sometimes in these chains and they are completely different than Il Guelfo Bianco. Our hotel is housed in a late 15th century building completely renewed, equipped with all original antique furnishings W we have 40 rooms all different in size and position (in fact we offer several kind of rooms : executive which have a standard size – superior which are larger – de luxe or junior suites which are really very large rooms with sitting areas. All of them they are equipped with best comforts which could be available for a three star hotel (well we do offer even much more as they are luxury hotel where you have to pay the wi- fi service or where you cannot find a multi charger in the room) . Of course I do not want to start a war against the luxury hotel because we will lose it BUT I am sure about the high quality of our hotel and service and I really do not accept to be compared to the hotel you mentioned on your review. I am not angry as I wrote above….. just a bit surprise. ….you booked a de luxe room for three people and we assign to you a very nice one overlooking the courtyard and you paid a very good rate for the period . You paid euro 167,00 for a triple de luxe which is a special rates as that room during high season for three people could costs even euro 300,00. I am really sorry we cannot add pictures when we answer to a customer’s review because it will be very nice to be able to show the room you stayed for one night. Of course I cannot be sure what you mean for “basics”. If you like luxury hotel maybe you did a mistake booking our hotel . Well …I do not think we will be able to welcome you here again as it lacks the luxury you are used to but I am sure the luxury it costs much more than the rates we do have. Sometimes it could happen people can find good deal as they are so many site now where you can buy luxury to a very cheap amount but we are out of this way to work and I repeat one again we are not a luxury hotel and we have not rates for luxury hotel.
I just want to be sure you are not now angry with me reading my answer ...I just wish to clarify some details as many people read these reviews (and we happy they do of course…) I have nothings against Holiday Inn or Ramada Hotel but please there is no way to compare Il Guelfo Bianco to them.
At least I hope you could celebrate a nice weeding anniversary here with your wife and your son and of course in case you decide to try Il Guelfo Bianco again looking at it as a lovely three star hotel and not a 5 star hotel you are welcome 
Best regards to you and to your family.
Antonella Rocchini

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The staff was friendly, the location is centrally located, near the Uffizzi Gallery. We walked from the train station, and walked all over Florence from the hotel! The room was large enough for our family of four. The breakfast buffet had a good choice of cappuccino, espresso or coffee, but basic food. The room was quiet with the windows closed, and we had a room facing the street. Wifi was not reliable. The room had interesting character, and I found it charming. I would recommend this hotel for families traveling to Florence for a vacation.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lori A
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed in the apartment on the 4th floor. It was a spacious 2-bedroom apartment with two bathrooms, a small kitchen and a living room. There was a small inside balcony (I assume for smokers but I drank some wine out there). The building is 400 years old and the elevators proved to be a little temperamental but having the apartment combined with the advantages of the hotel was perfect. The hotel served a nice breakfast in the mornings and the dinner we had at their Bistro was one of our best meals in Florence. The hotel is conveniently located between the Academia and the Duomo so that everything was within walking distance. The front desk people were very helpful recommending restaurants and helping us plan day trips to Siena etc. All the staff were very friendly and nice. I wish I was still there.

Room Tip: The apartment was perfect for us and our two adult children.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DocChumley
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and have a great time in Florence. The location of the hotel is fantastic and most of the staff were very friendly. The breakfast was delicious (best bruschetta I ever had) and the welcome cocktail and snacks at the conjoining restaurant was a very warm touch. It is definitely quiet and feels safe at night - there are big wooden doors they close at a certain time and they buzz you in instead of being able to walk right through the automatic glass door. The decor of the hotel is a little odd and the rooms themselves looked like they were decorated with leftover flea market furniture or old furniture from Grandma Pasquelina's house, but the bathrooms were updated and PRISTINE.

However, we were very dissatisfied our second evening (out of 3), when we arrived back to the hotel at 11pm to find our room was 83 degrees F. We immediately went down to the desk to complain and the said that they would change the temp from the desk, which didn't make sense because it can be controlled from our wall. We waited 15 minutes and no cold air came out so we called again. They came up to our room and said they would try again and get us a fan. Turns out - which we found out 24 hours after the incident - the air conditioner was broken and someone had to come in and fix it. The staff should have been honest with us that it wasn't working instead of acting like they were going to fix it from the desk. We understand the building is old and air conditioning may not be what we are used to, but it was 83 degrees. That is unacceptable for the amount of money we were paying. No one wants to come back to a sweltering hot hotel room at 11 pm during their only vacation. We expected to be somehow compensated to make up for our headache, as we were up for an extra 45 minutes trying to figure out what the problem was, and we had a 5 am wake up call the next morning, but that didn't happen. Also, keep in mind that when you leave the room to remove your key, the AC turns off. To appease us the night of the no AC incident - they gave us a credit card like object to keep in the key slot when we leave the room so the AC stays on. Why didn't they give that to us upon check-in was our question.

With all said and done, we enjoyed our stay but would probably try out another hotel in the area next time. For the value, it was fine and if you go into it with average expectations you will be satisfied. (We should note that we were in Venice the night before with a beautiful room so the difference between the style of hotels and was surprising.)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Brooke B,
we are happy you appreciate the location and even the breakfast and also our bistro restaurant IL DESCO.
Regarding the hotel décor: our hotel is housed in a late 15th century building completely renewed but we try to maintain all architectural elements like wood ceiling, brick arches, original frescos in some rooms. We jhave also chosen to furnish the rooms all with original antiques (I really do not want what you mean for furniture from Grandma Pasquelina’s house maybe you just want to be ironic but I do guarantee to you that every single piece has a great value. However we never advertise the hotel like a modern hotel everywhere you read about Il Guelfo Bianco you can read that the hotel is equipped with all antiques together with an important contemporary art collection which is really well appreciate by our guests.
Well I do apologize regarding the problem you had one night with air condition. I wasn’t here during your stay (which I think it has been around July 20th) and I will find out with my staff why the info has not be reported immediately in the right way. However I would like to give some more details about the air condition to avoid misunderstanding:
All of our rooms are air conditioned. To save energy if you open the window automatically air condition stops and it start again when you close again the windows. You have a computer on the wall where you can adjust the temperature (you can adjust the temperature till 20 degrees – that’s’ mean if you set up the temperature at 20 degrees – the air condition is still going till when you do not get that temperature when you are in the room and you enter your electronic card) . When you go out and you remove the card to turn off the lights we do have a system to keep the temperature under control . On our computer the room when the customers have a temperature of 25 degrees. So even if you have not the electronic card the air condition STARTS AUTOMATICALLY if temperature starts to be higher . We think it doesn’t make sense to keep a lower temperature when the room is empty – as I wrote several times we really care about our planet and we try to do our best to avoid waste of energy. So do not worry when you are out you do not need electronic card in the room – the system is working perfectly . We do have also a multi charger and even the multi-charger is still working when you are not. As you see everything has been studied to guarantee offer the best comforts.
I really do not know if you asked a compensation but I really please to contact me directly if you decide to come back . Well if you do not like the hotel ‘s style maybe you will not, but if the main problem was just the air condition, I will really happy to welcome you here back.

Take care and best regards.
Antonella Rocchini

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is a wonderful hotel! Has a great feel to the rooms, beds are comfortable and the service and staff is excellent. If your driving the car park here is a lovely benefit. They take your car for you and park it in the garage--you won't need it until you leave so. Location is also terrific--very close to all the sights and just minutes to the main square. Breakfast and hotel restaurant is all organic from their own farm outside Florence--food is delicious.
Do the bide tour on your first day and you will oriented in the city for the rest of your stay. Phippipo does a good tour and lunch at the restaurant is included after the bike tour. The desk can arrange it for you along with reservations to many of the museums ( which you will want to ask for--for sure) standing in lines is a waste of time and the reservations elevate that problem.
WE will stay here again on our next trip to Florence--Room 102 and 103 are both great and over look the main street.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple