“excellent choice!!”

Ranked #31 of 412 Hotels in Florence
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
“excellent choice!!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I went to Florence in August this year and had the great opportunity to stay in Il Guelfo Bianco!
The hotel in amazing, well decorated with confortable rooms.
Everyone was very attentive with us!! Very welcoming and willing to help everytime!
Besides, right next to the hotel there is the best bistro in Florence "Il Desco"!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We spent the first six nights of our trip to Italy in this lovely, charming, unique hotel. Believe the five star reviews. When you are here, you are part of the family. From the instant we made our reservation online, we were impressed. Within minutes, we received a personalized confirmation and we knew we had made the right choice. We communicated with the hotel several times before arriving and every exchange was timely and professional. When we arrived, they were ready for us, and our room was all set. We had room 105 which was absolutely lovely, a junior suite, I believe. The ceiling was so high and had the original painting, beautifully done. The bed was a huge king sized bed, the room was immaculate, and the housekeeping service was impeccable. The rooms are homey and comforting, with their eclectic furnishings. The bed linens were crisp and cool and I looked forward to climbing in to bed every night.

Breakfast was so fresh and healthy, straight from the hotel's own organic farm. It is the same breakfast every day so on one occasion we did have breakfast out just for a little variety, but the hotel breakfast was nourishing and healthy. On the day you arrive, you are given a voucher for a free drink at the restaurant next door, also owned by the hotel. We ate dinner there and it was very good, and a pleasant change of pace from some of the overly touristy, overpriced trattorias around town.

The hotel arranged our day trip to Tuscany, and also arranged our "skip the line" passes for the Accademia (which is about 90 seconds away from the hotel), and the Uffizzi. Again, this was done so professionally, we were very impressed. No detail was overlooked.

When we were booking hotels for our trip, we originally looked at the St. Regis, because we wanted to have a very indulgent, luxurious experience after a very hard year. After doing research, we selected Il Guelfo Bianco and I must say, we felt very well taken care of, our every need was tended do, and the staff could not be more helpful, friendly, and warm. I have no idea why any reviewer would compare this hotel to a budget hotel like a Holiday Inn or a Ramada, as someone did below. Every detail in this hotel has been realized with creativity and careful thought, completely different than any chain hotel. You are in a 15th century building filled with the most beautiful antiques AND modern art. You can tell that the owners have taken great pride in selecting every single piece of furniture and every painting that hangs on the walls. From the artwork to the small details like the universal charger in the room, you can just tell there is a lot of pride taken in this hotel.

The location is incredible. You are about a five minute walk from the Duomo, ten to the Uffizi, 12 to the Ponte Vecchio. And in the opposite direction, you are about 10 minutes from the train station and from other interesting parts of town like the central market. You can walk everywhere, but if you choose not to, the hotel will call you a cab which will literally arrive before they even put down the phone.

After we left, the hotel emailed me within about two hours, to tell me I had forgotten some medication in the refrigerator. They were willing to ship it to me. Since it was not urgent, I declined their offer. But still, I was very pleased they did that.

After (very) long days of sightseeing and touring, we were always so glad to come through the doors of this hotel and to feel welcomed and comfortable every time. We want to thank everyone for our great stay. My only regret is that I forgot to sign the beautiful guest book in the lobby before checking out. I guess I will just have to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 105. Wonderful king bed, gorgeous high ceiling. Away from the street so VERY quiet...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JYGfromNYC
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Oh my God JygfromNyc... what to say!
Thanks it seems to be not enough for the great words you wrote about our hotel.
Me and my staff are so happy you had a great stay with us . We do work so hard to guarantee enjoyable stay to our customers and when we read review like yours "we touch "the sky with a finger".
We sent to you two a virtual hug, hoping for welcoming you again in the future.

Take care and bye bye
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We had a fantastic visit to Florence, and this hotel was an important part of it. Here's the bottom line: The location is fantastic. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. The breakfast buffet is more than good enough to start the day, and the rooms are fine. I differ with the reviewer who likened this to a Holiday Inn, because it's better than that. It's not high luxury, but we weren't expecting that. The next door bistro is very good for a light dinner of interesting and tasty food, and the staff was very friendly. This is a great place to stay in Florence.

Room Tip: You may want to avoid the first floor, because you'll have to lug your bags up some stairs.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PKatz59
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Pkatz59,

thanks very much for your lovely review. We have been happy to welcome you and your family here. You straed in a room on sec ond floor and a triple on our mezzanine between first and second floor. You can get by elevator till first floor than there some steps to get the mezzanine exactly 16 steps (where we do have three rooms: two of them overlooking a nice garden and one with a balcony ). Than we do have also a 5th floor with also 2 rooms (elevator till 4 th floor and exactly 20 steps to get them) . However we are always ready to help to help our customers to move the luggages up. Well….if you trust me… it’s worth to climb few steps as the rooms up there are really nice . As you could see our hotel, as it’s housed in two adjoined late 15th century buildings , it seems like a maze and we tried to do our best to ensure that our customers may have some discomforts.
I wish to thank you also for the nice words you had about our bistro restaurant “Il Desco” which luckily it is very popular now and we are so happy that many of you really appreciate it. It has a also a very good ranking on TripAdvisor as restaurant .
I really hope to welcome you here again and give my regards to your lovely family.
Bye bye
Pontypridd, Wales
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Il Guelfo Bianco for three nights. When we first arrived we were greeted by Antonella who was enthusiastic and really helpful. We were given a voucher for welcome drinks and then we went to our room.
We had a lovely view over the rooftops looking out towards the duomo. The room was lovely, big, clean and comfortable.
The restaurant attached is wonderful with their fresh, homegrown and organic produce. They also did the breakfasts the same way and this was one if the most delicious breakfasts of our stay in Italy. Every time we went to the reception desk, no matter who was working, they were friendly and extremely helpful. The restaurants they recommended to us were excellent.
The location is superb. Just a short walk to all the sights. If we ever come back to Florence, we will be sure to stay in this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RosieRhi
Piedmont, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed at the Il Guelfo Bianco for a total of seven nights, and we were very pleased with our choice. Very unique hotel, everywhere you look is like a museum. The breakfast was Exceptional.
A short walk up via Cavour brought us to the Cathedral, Piazza del Seignoria, Palazzo Vecchio, Uffizi Gallery. Also a great location if you do day trip to Tuscany or Cinque Terre. We would highly recommend this hotel to our family and friends.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AugerP
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel as it was the #10 hotel in Florence on TripAdvisor. It is in a great location, however it lacks the luxury we are used to. If you are comfortable in Holiday inn or Ramada, then you will be happy with this hotel. Don't get me wrong, it's clean and a good place to stay if you just want the basics. For those with limited means, it's great.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank JasonNazzaro
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Jasonazz,

well we are a bit surprise reading your review….first of all we are listed #10 on TripAdvisor not because we are a luxury hotel. We never wrote we are a luxury hotel and we have not rates for a luxury hotel. It will be the dream for all people to pay rates for a three star hotel and sleep in a 5 star hotel and to have luxury service but the reality is quite different. Besides, I really do not understand how you can compare our hotel to an Holiday Inn or a Ramada hotel….I spleep sometimes in these chains and they are completely different than Il Guelfo Bianco. Our hotel is housed in a late 15th century building completely renewed, equipped with all original antique furnishings W we have 40 rooms all different in size and position (in fact we offer several kind of rooms : executive which have a standard size – superior which are larger – de luxe or junior suites which are really very large rooms with sitting areas. All of them they are equipped with best comforts which could be available for a three star hotel (well we do offer even much more as they are luxury hotel where you have to pay the wi- fi service or where you cannot find a multi charger in the room) . Of course I do not want to start a war against the luxury hotel because we will lose it BUT I am sure about the high quality of our hotel and service and I really do not accept to be compared to the hotel you mentioned on your review. I am not angry as I wrote above….. just a bit surprise. ….you booked a de luxe room for three people and we assign to you a very nice one overlooking the courtyard and you paid a very good rate for the period . You paid euro 167,00 for a triple de luxe which is a special rates as that room during high season for three people could costs even euro 300,00. I am really sorry we cannot add pictures when we answer to a customer’s review because it will be very nice to be able to show the room you stayed for one night. Of course I cannot be sure what you mean for “basics”. If you like luxury hotel maybe you did a mistake booking our hotel . Well …I do not think we will be able to welcome you here again as it lacks the luxury you are used to but I am sure the luxury it costs much more than the rates we do have. Sometimes it could happen people can find good deal as they are so many site now where you can buy luxury to a very cheap amount but we are out of this way to work and I repeat one again we are not a luxury hotel and we have not rates for luxury hotel.
I just want to be sure you are not now angry with me reading my answer ...I just wish to clarify some details as many people read these reviews (and we happy they do of course…) I have nothings against Holiday Inn or Ramada Hotel but please there is no way to compare Il Guelfo Bianco to them.
At least I hope you could celebrate a nice weeding anniversary here with your wife and your son and of course in case you decide to try Il Guelfo Bianco again looking at it as a lovely three star hotel and not a 5 star hotel you are welcome 
Best regards to you and to your family.
Millburn, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The staff was friendly, the location is centrally located, near the Uffizzi Gallery. We walked from the train station, and walked all over Florence from the hotel! The room was large enough for our family of four. The breakfast buffet had a good choice of cappuccino, espresso or coffee, but basic food. The room was quiet with the windows closed, and we had a room facing the street. Wifi was not reliable. The room had interesting character, and I found it charming. I would recommend this hotel for families traveling to Florence for a vacation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family