This was my husbands 1st trip overseas; not mine, i'd backpacked all over italy w/ my siblings before. That being said, i am used to the hostel life, my hubby not so much. So i was looking for a hotel that would be on the luxurious side. This hotel exceeded expectations. Turns out i was the fussy one.
I work night shift & sleep in late. We had a room on the street and i like to sleep w/ the windows open for fresh air, bad idea. A flock of scooters seemed to wake me every 5 mins. & the car exhaust was faint, but evident. It was only rough like that during "rush hour" - yes, even in Italy there is a little bit of a rush. And even though it was the weekend they were able to switch us to a room in the back for the remaining 2 nights.
Then I got food poisoning (NOT there) & they extended our stay another night. Even though the room we were in was booked for that night, they upgraded those people to a larger room to accommodate me.
The rooms were clean & huge, beds very comfortable & laundry service available. The bathrooms beautifully tiled in bright colors. The food was excellent as was the coffee, the latter I know I am fussy about. I drink my coffee black & if its too old, weak or of poor quality I cant drink it, delicious! There was a wine tasting one night & and olive oli tasting another night. The staff were helpful, especially when i got sick & my poor husband had to maneuver Florence on his own without knowing any Italian. He was already a nervous traveler to begin w/, but the desk service was very helpful in directing him to a restaurant he'd like & to a pharmacy where i was in need of things. Internet was available for a fee & there were work areas just past the lobby as well as newspapers, other reading materials & a bar! Of course its difficult internet reception at times, these are centuries old buildings & wireless cant penetrate. The location cant be beat. Just a 5 minute walk to the duomo, dozens of fine dining establishments & impressive shopping, even though I am NOT a shopper. I cant wait to come back & would recommend this to anyone looking for a beautiful place in this beautiful city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel is right in the city center, between Piazza Duomo and Piazza San Marco , few steps away from Accademia (the museum where you can see the famous DAVID by Michelangelo). It's housed in two late 15th century building next each other. All rooms are different in size and position - executive rooms have a standard size - superior rooms are larger - de luxe and junior suite are very large with a sitting area. We have rooms overlooking the courtyard, gardens and several rooms overlooking Via Cavour which is the main street but 70% pedestrian and so it's not too noisy. All rooms have triple glasses and double windows. WI/FI available in all the rooms and the drawing rooms and it's free of charge if you have your own laptop or i-phone or i-pad. Bistrot restaurant next door "IL DESCO" open every day (12 till 10,30 pm but on Sunday it closes at 3,00 pm) with good menu' all day long (many organic products directly by the owner's farm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Il Guelfo Bianco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Il Guelfo Bianco Florence
- Il Guelfo Bianco Hotel Florence