“Location is really the only thing good about it.”
Review of Hotel Medici

Hotel Medici
Ranked #373 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Mesa Az
“Location is really the only thing good about it.”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I am not going to even bother to talk about the actual room I stayed as many vistors have already described them. Small rooms, small bathroom, thin sheets, thread bare towels, and digusting bathrooms. Incredibly noisy. The only reason I feel asleep was because I had brought sleep aids and I was exhuasted from the day.

My biggest complaint is the night lady (or man. I still have no clue). She speaks no English and is incredibly rude. I would go in the Breakfast room in the afternoon to use my laptop and she would come in yelling at me because she had to set the tables for breakfast. So I moved to the couch and then she continued to yell at me.
The worst happened when I tried to check out. I had a 7:30 am flight, so I arranged with the front to call a taxi cab to pick me up at 4:30 (which I am glad I did so early). I tried to pay the hotel in the afternoon when the front desk is manned by reall helpful and friendly people. They also speak english. They told me I had to wait until I left in order to do that. I figured that would be fine.
It was not.
I went downstairs at 4am. I had to wake up the lady because she was asleep on some lawnchair behind the desk. She did not like waking up. I told the lady I wanted to check out. She stared at me blankly and then tried to go back to sleep. I took the sign that had the check in/ check out times and pointed to it. She finally got it. She asked for my credit card and I gave it to her. She ran my credit card through the machine and it was processed. EXCEPT! She did not put paper in it to print out a receipt. She went to put paper in it. I told her she would need to cancel that payment if she wanted to run it again. She ignored me and ran my card again. It was declined. At first she was ok and I told her will try it again. It was declined again. She then began to yell at me saying that I was trying to leave without paying. At this point it is 4:30 and my cab is there. Without saying anything, she goes outside and tells the man to leave. I tried to explain to her that the first time she ran it, the payment was accepted but there was no receipt to print. She got really angry at me and started saying that I needed to get cash. She took and rather forcibly grabbed my luggage from my hand, put it in the back, and push me outside. Ok I am a young female, who is travelling alone. She puts me out on the street at 4 in the morning to go to an ATM to get cash. Well I knew I didn't have enough money in my back account and my credit was maxed out because of all the times she ran it. I banged on the door to get in. She finally let me in and I told her that again the first payment was accepted. She kept saying "You no leave" I asked her to called her supervisor or someone that spoke english. She refused. I mentioned that I was willing to leave my credit card number and they could try charging it again in a day when I got back to the states and I could deal with my bank. She ignored me. Also, my international phone had been stolen from me the day before so I had no way of contacting my family. Finally, I went behind the desk and went on her computer. I wanted to try to contact my mom to see if she could give me a credit card number because at this point I was scared of missing my flight. It was now 5am. She started screaming when I went on Facebook but I knew my mom would be on and she was. She said there was nothing wrong with my bank account and charge had actually posted. All of a sudden, the lady pushes me from the desk. She started screaming "Amanda Knox" and said she was calling the police. Finally, the supervisor from the morning called. The lady gave me the phone and I explained the situation. I told her I was willing to leave my information and they could try doing this again later. The supervisor agreed and asked why this was not done in the first place....
I think this crazy old lady must be in some scam thing because she wanted my passport (to keep!) as ID when I gave my credit card number. She wouldnt give it back, I had to go behind the desk and take it. Finally she called another cab for me and I was out of there! I got to the airport at 6am. Of course there was an incrediblely long line and it took me an hour to check in. By the time I got through security it was 7:15.

Its a shame really. I love the location of the hotel and the day people are really helpful and friendly. They just need to clean up, update the hotel, and fire the night lady.

So use caution if you stay here and dont check out early in the morning.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank Megan D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 12,113 helpful votes
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We recently stayed in Hotel Medici and requested the top floor room with the view of the Duomo.

Reservations were made through their website. We arrived early and as they don't have a proper stored luggage room, we left our luggage in the common lounge area until check in at 2pm.

The hotel has a very convenient location, 15mins walk from the Firenze SMN station, 2 minutes from the Duomo.

We stayed in a double room with ensuite shower (and sink) and shared toilet. It was adequately heated during our winter stay. The room was small but there is space under the bed to store luggage. The double bed is made up of 2 single beds, and we slept fine. No safe available, but this is a 2-star hotel anyway. The toilet is shared with 2 other rooms and we never had to wait to use it, it was always clean.

We stayed in the same room 6 years ago, and as before we enjoyed that the room opens to the terrace and has a wonderful view of the Campanile, and the dome can be seen from one side of the bed. While sleeping conditions were similar this time around, the room quality had deteriorated since our last stay. The drawers of the wardrobe are broken and won't open. There was a lot of paint peeling off the ceiling too. But the major problem with the room would be the shower, which was missing a door and lacking even a shower curtain. At least there was daily housekeeping if you make a mess of the room.

Breakfast was included in the room rate and was very simple, consisting of coffee/tea, bread and jam. It's available from 730am, but did not always start promptly. There was suboptimal heating in the breakfast area. Wifi was available here but not in the room.

As a 2-star hotel with room rate at 45 euros a night, Hotel Medici remains a good option for the budget-minded, considering the location and view from the room. We also like their terrace, but had limited use of it during winter. We would recommend looking for other places though if room quality is of more importance than the outstanding view.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BradJill
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have just returned from 3 nights at the Hotel Medici. After having read the negative reviews on tripadvisor I wasn't expecting luxury, but the price and location of the hotel is what sold it for me. With hindsight i wish i had just paid more for a hotel as this was the worst hotel i have ever stayed in,

There are some good points to this hotel, so I will start with them. The location is great, on a side street inbetween the Duomo and Piazza della Repubblica. There are plenty of restaurants and designer shops nearby and all the attractions are in walking distance. The rooms are clean, although sparse and cold. The terrace on the top floor has a great view of the Duomo.

Unfortunately, the negatives outweigh the positives. The first thing which will hit you upon entering the hotel is the disgusting smell, it's like the smell of sewerage is coming from the drains. I was in a group of 4, we had booked 2 double rooms with ensuites. The rooms appeared clean, but were freezing cold and very basic, with 2 single beds pushed together to make a double. The bathroom was basically a portacabin in the corner of the room and was actually a wet room, not a bathroom. The shower was hanging on the wall right next to the toilet, which caused the toilet to get covered in water each time we used the shower. All the metal in the bathroom was rusty, the drain was in the middle of the floor and was full with brown water, the bathroom also smelled of bad drainage. The towels provided were as thin as table cloths and the bed dressing consisted of one thin blanket and a sheet. Our friends had to move rooms because their shower was broken - the staff knew about this but had given them the room anyway. They also put the next people into our friend's old room without fixing the shower and without even changing the bed sheets after my friend had been asleep in the bed! Our friend was also left with several bites!

Another seriously bad thing about this hotel is the noise. The rooms offer no insulation at all. Our room (206) was on the second floor, directly above the breakfast room, and the sound of the staff scraping the tables across the floor, and the other guests moving their chairs, woke us up at 7 am each morning. Furthermore, there was a phone right outside our room, which the staff would use to call each other at all hours, with no regard for the guests. During the night we would be woken by the road sweepers outside and due to the proximity to the Duomo, we would also be woken by the bells ringing early in the morning! There is a restaurant directly below the hotel and the noise from that would filter up to the rooms in the evening due to the shutters and windows not sealing properly, which also contributed to the cold temperature of the room. Our friend's new room (101) was no better, it being on the same floor as the breakfast room, right next to the kitchen area, which meant that the staff woke them up at about 6am each morning.

The breakfast consisted of a bread roll and some jam, with a coffee, tea or hot chocolate. There was also a machine for orange juice, which was diluted, not fresh. You are able to buy water or soda from the reception, at a reasonable price.

The staff, on the whole, were pleasant, however, the old woman who works on reception in the evenings was exceptionally rude and actually shouted at us for knocking on the hotel door after she had locked it, when we returned at midnight one night. The doorbell didn’t work, so we had no option but to knock on the door!

Even given the low price for this hotel, I would not recommend it to anyone. I will never stay here again. I have stayed in Florence before and there are many hotels for similar or slightly higher prices which are much nicer. Florence is small, so wherever you are in the centre is only a short walk from all the sights.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the higher floors, away from the lift, to avoid the noise
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Stratford, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Can't beat the location, 2 minutes to the Dumo; price was great in March; clean, spartan, good breakfast.

Room Tip: make sure you check on having your own bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed at Hotel Medici in July when Florence is hot, but my hotel room with large shuttered window was cool in the evening. A stay here is to experience old Florence in the center of the old city. Friendly english speaking staff and comfortable breakfast made me feel quite at home. Convenient to the train station and all the history and art of Florence, this is the hotel for the traveler seeking the experience of Italy. It may not suit a tourist seeking expensive luxury.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
East London, South Africa
Reviewed 24 January 2012

My wife and I honeymooned in Italy and Hotel Medici was our 1st hotel in Italy. The hotel is walking distance from the train station and serves as a great base to visit all corners of Florence. The front desk staff were helpful, friendly and able to speak enough English for us to converse. The hotel has a lift as well, which is helpful when you are carring luggage or exhausted from a day on your feet. The room was comfortable and spacious with stunning views of the cathedral. A snack or a glass of wine up on the roof is an absolute treat. Breakfast is sufficient, a couple of rolls and biscuits with some jam. The only negatives I could find were an inadequatly short shower curtain, which served no purpose, therefore a wet bathroom floor. And there is a bit of noise which filters through from the street. Otherwise we loved our stay and grew quite fond of the breakfast attendant.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 November 2011

When we arrived (a 10-15mn walk from the train station), we were told our room was an apartment in a different building a couple of blocks away, when we said we wanted to be in the main building, we were told there was only one room left, BUT on the top floor with a terrace (not private terrace), we said YES, and we got the most amazing view we could imagine, we could see the whole city from the terrace and the surrounding cathedrals and the Duomo. The room was less than average, but clean. the breakfast was not great. the best thing about this hotel was the location close to all the shopping and museums and the view from the terrace. good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor with terrace
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends