“No room and no view”

Ranked #382 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Loehne, Germany
“No room and no view”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I booked to stay three nights at this hotel, and after those three nights I cannot write a review about the hotel itself. The reason: over-booking, which seems to be part of this hotel's business plan.

On my arrival at the reception, the reception staff had some difficulty finding my booking but eventually I saw that my booking had been registered in their room allocation system - which seemed to comprise a large sheet of paper with guests names marked in pencil for each room. Once it was clear I had booked and I was named against a hotel room, I was told that I was staying in another place about 1 km away. Maps were ready to deal with relocation of the refugees of the over-booking system. The staff were well rehersed in this procedure.

Armed with the map and the keys, I found my way to an "appartment" about 1 km towards the railway station. It was a dark bedroom and bathroom on the first floor of an normal appartment building with a narrow hallway and stairway leading to it. Other people in my group had the same treatment later that day, including two female guests who arrived very late at night. In that case, the two guests with two single rooms books were put into an 'appartment' together.

The room was only suitable for the basic overnight stay and reasonably clean for that purpose. The bed was comfortable. But it was no place to spend time in - dark with a dirty window facing directly to other appartments, all very dark and gloomy. The appartment had no hallway, so the bedroom was directly behind to the door to the stairway and so it can be noisy as residents come and go. The facilities were the bare minimum - soap etc. were provided and the room was cleaned each day. There was no WiFi and I was fortunate to find the only standard electricity socket which was installed for the electric heater under the window. I did not avail of the breakfast offered back at the hotel 1 km away.

The centre of Florence is compact and this 'hotel's' very central location does not outweight the advantage as there are so many options in a short walking distance of everything the centre has to offer.

For some, all this might be part of adventure, but such adventures can be had for less money elsewhere. If you rely on normal hotel services as set out on this hotel's website, this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lee829

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Arrived and got moved to another hotel. Pretty annoying since I was traveling in a group of 6 and we all got moved to different hotels. Not the end of the world though. Second night stayed at the property and the hotel was fine, but did have gorgeous views and a great location. The real problem was the staff. When we left our bags for the day at check-out they just had us put them in a common room, no lock or anything...anyone could have stolen them. When our group of 6 asked for a taxi they called for one car...that wasn't big enough. Got into a yelling match with the desk woman and the cabby as the desk woman insisted we pay for the cab. Terrible experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Great location for city centre, great wifi connection for free, great bar below.
But the room rate was not what you'd expect to pay of a hostel style room. Tiny room with splatters on the wall, windows that are hard to open, and bathrooms that are made out of a donger (pre-fab). Horrid room for the price. Only do it if you can't afford to spend a little extra, but it kind of ruined the firenze experience for us. Stay along the river if you can, busier but prettier.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2013

There is no doubt that Medici is in an excellent location. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. But the drawbacks significantly outweigh the location. The noise in the street below including tourists partying late into the evening, the garbage trolleys rolling over the cobblestone and the church bells chiming made it very difficult to sleep since the old windows when closed were not able to block out the noise. There is no air conditioning, although a fan was provided, and because of the noise we couldn't have the windows open. Since the room was small, it got very stuffy. The staff were somewhat helpful, but did not go out of their way to provide service. Breakfast is minimal: hard bread rolls and packaged biscuits. Wifi is available but only in the lounge area on the first floor. It would not work in the room on the fourth floor. There was no TV which didn't make a difference to us but might make a difference to some. The hotel is not clean. There are marks and dirt on the walls that have obviously been there for quite some time. The floors were dusty and not swept and on our first night the bathroom was not cleaned nor were our damp towels replaced. We would not choose the Medici again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The title says it all. When I arrived, I was greeted with the sorry we're overbooked line. The lady at the desk already had a map waiting for where I needed to walk to. I had read the reviews about this happening to other people, and I put up a pretty decent argument...which led to the " no understand English" line.
The place I was sent to was a disaster, 15min walk away. It was also 1/2 the list price of hotel Medici. This is likely the scam. Overbook, then sub-out the excess to other hotels. When I argued about the price difference, I was told that b/c this new place had cable (12 channels on a 12" TV) and AC (the cord was cut off), that they would not be giving me a refund. I called my booking company and was moved back to Medici the very next day. Let me say this: unless they cleared the entire 3rd floor that one night I missed, this place was not overbooked!!

Just. Don't. Go.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Hotel Medici is in a very good location but at nights after 12 o'clock garbage trucks come to the street to take the garbages from the under- road garbage cans. There are nearly 8 under-road garbage cans in the street where the Hotel Medici is located and it nearly takes 1 hour to collect them all for the truck.
Room's wall paints were horrible. There were foot-prints on the wall.
Breakfast was very poor, only butter and jam with a 1 day old bread.

• Stayed August 2013
Florence
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Nice hotel. Breakfast was minimal but as expected. The room, however was large. We got an apartment a little down the road. It had airconditioning and was large and clean.The location was excellent. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com