“Not the hotel you book ”
Review of Hotel Medici

Hotel Medici
Ranked #382 of 422 Hotels in Florence
“Not the hotel you book ”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Booked into medici mainly because of roof terrace but so disappointed to be directed round corner to the sister hotel which the staff were nice enough but the breakfast was so bad coffee and juice out of a machine o and the cleaner smokes in the rooms when she's not changing the sheets don't get me wrong the location was great right outside duomo but felt duped to be sent here as this wasn't hotel I booked.. If you are constantly drunk this place is ok

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank James F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Geneva
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I disagree with the comments below. We only stayed at Medici for 1 night, and also were asked to move to their other location which (although we were travelling with massive back packs ) was not a problem as the other location was right in the centre by the cathedral and it was a newly place. The rooms are indeed pretty 'old' style but really spacious, comfortable and had air conditioning. If you are doing a budget travelling this is more than you need. Good price, excellent location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MDI N
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

1 noise.The price of the hotel is around 45-55 euros and it was only reason I came here, but I regretted it. The room in the hotel is that noisy that you think that you are sleeping on the pavement. Everything that is going up outside is like it is happening in the room. Every morning there are trucks that moving around emptying trash cans which is making a lot of noise. Also there is a restaurant in the ground floor and every morning you can hear literally every move the waiter is doing to set up the tables. As a result, there is no way to sleep after 7 o'clock in the morning and before 1 o'clock in the night. The isolation in the building is ridiculous, I visited the hotel in June and it was hot I am sure that in the winter the rooms would be very cold.
2. Breakfast. There is no breakfast. I don't call that a breakfast. They offer butter and jam in small portions which I am sure that recycle the ones that the others are not touching by giving them to the next customers. And I figured that because the butter had became liquid due to the long time off the fridge. There is no coffee. There is a machine which is making the worse coffee I have ever drink, and the orange juice is like a watered fanta without gas.
3. Room. The room was clean, I cannot complain about that. The premises need a renovation immediately but I cannot complain about that ether. I didn't expect anything better with that price. Also, they offer a free Wi-Fi which is only available at the first floor. A lot of people was complaining about that.
4. Location. That location is the only thing that the hotel can offer. It is just next to duomo. Just by walking you can see the whole Florence.
So what would someone want expect from his hotel? He would expect to rest, to have a nice breakfast, to have a clean room, a cheap price, and a nice location. 2 of 2 for me. But I would evaluate my priorities differently in that future.

2 Thank sotos-klain

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We did not stay at the hotel itself but like many other reviewers, we were whisked away to another building a ten minute walk away. It had an air conditioning even though that was not advertised, which was a nice surprise, and the room was cute with that old world kind of charm. The bed was not very comfortable. We were allowed to go to the terrace with the amazing view in the main hotel, so all in all, not so bad. Breakfast was absolutely terrible, however. It was hard rolls with butter and jam, pre-packaged cookies, juice, and coffee. I don't expect much, but that was just bad. When we checked out, we were charged a city tax as expected, but it was four euro more than what we had been quoted on Expedia. The young man working at the front desk did not care one bit and refused to charge us the lesser amount even after we pointed this out. The rest of the staff was very nice, but that guy definitely ruined what was already a lukewarm experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul V
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We paid for wifi a/c and a hotel room we got sent down the road 'not even show ' to a big room in a split floor of an apartment building with a a/c that didn't work there was no wifi and the place was so old it had power points and plugs for about 30 years ago so you couldn't plug your adaptor into them. The linen had dried blood on it and there was a little wooden door in the room which had a fan system in it that ran all night that was so loud it felt like it was above our heads. For the money we paid I was so disappointed in this place most basic hostels put this establishment to shame

Room Tip: Don't!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
irvine
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I recently booked he Hotel Medici to use as a base for my trip to Florence. When I arrived I was quickly and without explanation taken around the corner to their "sister hotel" the Hotel Constantini. One reason I booked Hotel Medici was the rooftop terrace. Now I have no rooftop terrace. When shown my room I quickly asked will his be a quiet room. I should have gone with my gut feeling and asked for another room. The room itself was ok. They had the air conditioning turned on and everything seemed nice. That evening the air was turned off, the bathroom started to smell like rotten eggs and of course I heard everyone come into the hotel at late hours. My second night there at 230AM I had to ask the clerk and his friend to please be quiet as it was 230am. I knew then I had to leave. I could not stay 2 more nights. I went to checkout the next day and was told there would be a 50euro penalty for leaving early. So staying 2 nights cost me close to 350.00 US dollars. The breakfast was so so but not so awful that I didn't have a coffee (and orange juice (out of a machine) and a croissant. The location was good but the street noise terrible.. The girls that worked the front desk were nice enough. They were only doing their job when charging me to leave.. I will make sure in the future to not book where there is a penalty to leave.. I truly feel I deserve to pay only for the nights stayed since I didn't even get the hotel I booked. I cannot recommend this hotel and really I am not a picky person, but I could not continue to stay there.

Room Tip: If staying here do not stay near the front desk although the wifi will be good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank tricia54
Fargo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was my sixth or seventh time staying at the Medici. Why do I keep coming back? My husband and I have a tradition of wine on the rooftop terrace at sunset while enjoying the view. And what a view it is! The Duomo is practically in your lap. The hotel is centrally located and relatively easy to find. That said, the place could really use an upgrade. The hallway carpet is pretty awful and a coat of paint would do wonders. Our room was basic but fine. I think I've stayed in practically every permutation of room they have. This time we were on a lower floor - not as good a night's sleep with all the noise from the street and delivery trucks. The breakfast is a crime against Italian culture. It used to be the expected "continental" rolls and jam, but at least they had the coffee lady and real coffee. Now, it's coffee out of a machine and fake orange juice.
So, go with your eyes open and don't plan to spend much time in your room.

Room Tip: Rooms on floors 4-6 are quieter - but you'll have to share a bath on floor 6.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business