“Great hotel, great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Orto De Medici

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #49 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great hotel, great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

I just returned from a 3 night stay in Florence at this hotel. The rooms were spotless. The hotel staff were all friendly and helpful. Breakfast had a very goog selection of foods and is served on a beautiful terrace ig weather allows. They made reservations for me to see "David" as well.
The location is around the corner from The Accadamia and just a few blocks from the Central Market. Everything else was no more than a 20 minute walk away.
I would definitely stay there again on my next visit to Florence!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear Guest, I am very pleased to read your special appreciation for the choice at the breakfast. The breakfast room and the service has been recently renovated and I am pleased to find we found a good way of improving. Thank you als for the description of the area, it will be very useful for next users!!
Francesco Bini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

When I needed two rooms for a two day visit to Florence with my niece recently there was no question that I would book this, one of my all time favorite hotels. I had memories of a perfect visit here several years ago.

On arrival Sunday afternoon we were told that the hotel had hosted a wedding that weekend and that some of the party had decided to extend their stay so only one room was available. We were asked to substitute an apartment next door for one of the rooms one night. We agreed. The hotel was indeed crowded, and the following morning when we met for breakfast there were no tables available in either the indoor or outdoor breakfast seating areas.

For the inconvenience they paid for our museum tickets, but I need to add that the charge for each room Sunday night was 365 euros (nearly $500), way more than I spent on four star hotels in London, Paris and Rome. Isn't that enough to guarantee a room in the hotel?

The hotel is perfectly situated, close enough to walk to all of the Florence tourist sites within 5 to 10 minutes, but in a relatively quiet area. The rooms remain well appointed and very clean as I remembered. However, I missed the feeling or concern for the guest which had made this a favorite hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank engineer77
gflorence, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear Madame, thanks for your message! I am sorry for the inconvenience during your stay. It was difficult to manage so many people for us too. The price was so high because all the special discounts were already booked by other guests, you hit the "rack" rate, which is the highest. I am especially sorry because you were a returning client, but if the next time you come to Florence you send me an email remembering me the inconvenience, just book the cheapest room and I'll offer you a free upgrade to the nicest room available. Please refer to me.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Great value for Florence. Good sized rooms and easy distance from the major sites.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear Guest, thanks for your message. Our target is to satisfy all our clients and I am so glad to read we fully didi it with you. Thank you!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Booked through their website and asked for room 81, which I read from previous costumers was supposed to be the best room. Got an personal email respons telling me that room 81 was not available but they would make sure we got a nice room.
Upon arrival, we were allowed to check in early ( at noon) and they had made some "arrangements" which meant that we did get room 81.
A rather modern room, clean and minimalistic in style. Very nice! Confortable beds, nice shower, lots of space and our own little "garden" right outside.
They knew we were in Florence to celebrate a birthday and we were met with the nice touch of a bottle of champagne (on ice!) in the room.
Breakfast is buffetstyle, included breads, cereals, youghurt, cheese and salami, some fruit, and a make your own coffee from an espresso/capuccino machine. Which actually made very nice coffee! ( I know - hard to belive but true)
In the evening there is a bar, and happy hour between 6-8 pm. Drinks at 6 euro each. You get a free drink the first evening. And with the drinks they serve some nice complementary snack, (olives, cheese etc).
The area is nice. Short walking distance to "everything" - Florence is a rather small city. The reseption has two mac computers for you to enjoy. Free wifi in the rooms, worked a bit on and off.
Very pleased with the reseption staff. Extremely helpfull and nice.
Would definetly recomend the hotel and will return!
Do not miss the resturant 200 meters away - Ristorante Accademia . (Do miss the resturant right across the street though - Ristorante Da Mimmo - not worth a visit!)

Room Tip: Room 81 - wonderful, big and clean (If you want a modern room)
6 Thank Ducati40
Dear Madame,
I was so pleased to read your long review. Room 81 is a very special room, the only with private balcony and renovated "deluxe" decoration. So next time make sure you book it with enough advance because it's one of our top requested! Thanks or listing the style of the breakfast, the area description and the other facilities such as the free wi-fi
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

We booked the hotel on expedia.de. We have lot of travel experience all over the world and I just have to say, I was very surprised by the very friendy, decent behaviour of all employees, at the desk, at the breakfast room and so on. The Hotel ist a combination of traditional italian style elements and very modern rooms, very clean also. If we would come back to florence, this hotel would be our first choice, cause price and quality fits together and we enjoyed our stay very much. Thanks.

Room Tip: We stayed in comfortable double bed room
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thanks for the review! Our team is one of the features we are most proud of, and I am very glad to read you positive experience. So we will be very happy to welcome you again in the short future.
Thank you!
Ann Arbor, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

If you will be in Florence, this is the hotel to book, if you can! The hotel is beautiful, especially for me, the garden rooms and jr suites. The staff could not be nicer or more helpful (and speak english as well). The breakfast is sumptuous and delicious, and may be eaten inside or out on the garden terrace. I love that the hotel is in close proximity to all of the sites Florence has to offer, but is a bit away from the center, so it is quiet and allows for an evening walk. We have been staying at the Hotel Orto De Medici since 2006 and have returned numerous times since our first stay. We consider it our home in Florence and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else while there. We have been back and we WILL be back! We give this an unreserved eight thumbs up (my husband and children and I)! Book here, you won't be sorry!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

We selected this hotel for its location just outside of the busy, historic area and for our must-have items like A/C, breakfast, and free Wi-Fi. I had read other reviews before booking so I knew we were getting the older, non-renovated rooms for the less expensive rate. When we arrived the hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. We were early for check in but were able to get into our room. Although the room is older, it had lots of character and it was very comfortable and clean. The bed was super comfortable and supportive. I have a bad back so this is important to me! The bathroom was large and modern. The A/C and WiFi worked well. There was no street noise from outside. My only disappointment was the breakfast buffet which was limited and included breads, cereals, some fruit, and a make your own coffee from an espresso/capuccino machine. We had better breakfasts at smaller, less expensive hotels in other Italian cities. But overall, a good experience and a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you want a modern, new room, you must reserve a double deluxe room
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Madame, thanks for your message! Our classic room are a very convenient option for budget travellers. The decoration is more traditional, all the rest is as nice as all the other rooms of the hotel. Thank you for listing many facilities such as the A/C, the free wi-fi, the breakfast, etc. As regards the breakfast we now rethinking the service, so new features come everyday, and I would be pleased to show them to you on your next stay at Orto de' Medici.