“Fabulous hotel; no reason to look further”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #52 of 420 Hotels in Florence
Kanab, Utah
“Fabulous hotel; no reason to look further”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I have written reviews in the past and I am very candid and honest in my reviews. This place is ideally located, so that one can walk to many of the most important museums and sites easily. The building was formerly the home of the Medici family, an important family in Florence. The place is a work of art, as well as an art gallery. Most importantly, the rooms were large and comfortable (we opted for a Garden Room), the service was great, the staff quite helpful and friendly, the price for the location and room was more than a bargain, and a great breakfast was included.

I cannot think of one reason NOT to stay here!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Farden room for a few dollars and hear the fountain outside your window and enjoy the...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear Madame, thanks for this wonderful review.. there's not mach to add, just a super-thanks for sharing this with us and with the people online.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed in this beautiful hotel in Florence and the room was clean, moden and in the center of Florence, we loved it and will come back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thanks for sharing you appreciatio of the clean and modern room. The center of Florence is a very special place everyone should sleep in at least once in their life! Thank you.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Upon arriving at our room I actually took photos of each room and the garden outside before emailing the pictures to friends.

Room Tip: We had a Garden Room and it was remarkable.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest, what a nice idea. Thanks for sharing your positive impression with your friends. We look forward to seeing you again in Florence soon.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I just returned from a 3 night stay in Florence at this hotel. The rooms were spotless. The hotel staff were all friendly and helpful. Breakfast had a very goog selection of foods and is served on a beautiful terrace ig weather allows. They made reservations for me to see "David" as well.
The location is around the corner from The Accadamia and just a few blocks from the Central Market. Everything else was no more than a 20 minute walk away.
I would definitely stay there again on my next visit to Florence!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, I am very pleased to read your special appreciation for the choice at the breakfast. The breakfast room and the service has been recently renovated and I am pleased to find we found a good way of improving. Thank you als for the description of the area, it will be very useful for next users!!
Boston, MA
Reviewed 1 August 2011

When I needed two rooms for a two day visit to Florence with my niece recently there was no question that I would book this, one of my all time favorite hotels. I had memories of a perfect visit here several years ago.

On arrival Sunday afternoon we were told that the hotel had hosted a wedding that weekend and that some of the party had decided to extend their stay so only one room was available. We were asked to substitute an apartment next door for one of the rooms one night. We agreed. The hotel was indeed crowded, and the following morning when we met for breakfast there were no tables available in either the indoor or outdoor breakfast seating areas.

For the inconvenience they paid for our museum tickets, but I need to add that the charge for each room Sunday night was 365 euros (nearly $500), way more than I spent on four star hotels in London, Paris and Rome. Isn't that enough to guarantee a room in the hotel?

The hotel is perfectly situated, close enough to walk to all of the Florence tourist sites within 5 to 10 minutes, but in a relatively quiet area. The rooms remain well appointed and very clean as I remembered. However, I missed the feeling or concern for the guest which had made this a favorite hotel.

2 Thank engineer77
gflorence, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear Madame, thanks for your message! I am sorry for the inconvenience during your stay. It was difficult to manage so many people for us too. The price was so high because all the special discounts were already booked by other guests, you hit the "rack" rate, which is the highest. I am especially sorry because you were a returning client, but if the next time you come to Florence you send me an email remembering me the inconvenience, just book the cheapest room and I'll offer you a free upgrade to the nicest room available. Please refer to me.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Great value for Florence. Good sized rooms and easy distance from the major sites.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear Guest, thanks for your message. Our target is to satisfy all our clients and I am so glad to read we fully didi it with you. Thank you!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Booked through their website and asked for room 81, which I read from previous costumers was supposed to be the best room. Got an personal email respons telling me that room 81 was not available but they would make sure we got a nice room.
Upon arrival, we were allowed to check in early ( at noon) and they had made some "arrangements" which meant that we did get room 81.
A rather modern room, clean and minimalistic in style. Very nice! Confortable beds, nice shower, lots of space and our own little "garden" right outside.
They knew we were in Florence to celebrate a birthday and we were met with the nice touch of a bottle of champagne (on ice!) in the room.
Breakfast is buffetstyle, included breads, cereals, youghurt, cheese and salami, some fruit, and a make your own coffee from an espresso/capuccino machine. Which actually made very nice coffee! ( I know - hard to belive but true)
In the evening there is a bar, and happy hour between 6-8 pm. Drinks at 6 euro each. You get a free drink the first evening. And with the drinks they serve some nice complementary snack, (olives, cheese etc).
The area is nice. Short walking distance to "everything" - Florence is a rather small city. The reseption has two mac computers for you to enjoy. Free wifi in the rooms, worked a bit on and off.
Very pleased with the reseption staff. Extremely helpfull and nice.
Would definetly recomend the hotel and will return!
Do not miss the resturant 200 meters away - Ristorante Accademia . (Do miss the resturant right across the street though - Ristorante Da Mimmo - not worth a visit!)

Room Tip: Room 81 - wonderful, big and clean (If you want a modern room)
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Ducati40
Dear Madame,
I was so pleased to read your long review. Room 81 is a very special room, the only with private balcony and renovated "deluxe" decoration. So next time make sure you book it with enough advance because it's one of our top requested! Thanks or listing the style of the breakfast, the area description and the other facilities such as the free wi-fi