“Nice Little Oasis in the Center of Florence!”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #45 of 412 Hotels in Florence
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Nice Little Oasis in the Center of Florence!”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Our extended family (grandparents, parents, and adult children) booked three rooms for a weekend in June. We were very pleasantly surprised by this little gem of a hotel! We had previously spent a week at an incredibly lovely villa in Chianti, so we were expecting a bit of a let down. Not so. After returning our rental car to the airport (forewarned to avoid driving in Florence at all costs), we hailed two taxis ~ think NASCAR drivers on steroids ~ and literally flew to the hotel. After prying my mother-in-law's finger nails out of the back of the seat, we collected our luggage and entered the lobby..... ahhh, air-conditioned serenity, subdued lighting, and a cordial reception; a good start. Even though it was before noon, we were able to check-in to our rooms. Although all were of a decent size, the garden room was by far the superior choice; with upgraded furnishings and amenities. My favorite feature of the Hotel was the interior garden courtyard (with fountain, terraces and lounge chairs with umbrellas), a fantastic respite from the bustling city, just a stones throw away. Great location, a block from San Marco Plaza, and two from Accademia; ten minute walk from the Duomo, and twenty from the Ufittzi. A plethora of restaurants are within an easy walk. As an added surprise/treat, we sat down to breakfast right next to our down-the street-neighbors (had no idea they were in Florence) who bragged that "the Orto" is the ONLY place they stay. Hmmmm, it's a small world after all...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear Guest, thanks for your nice review. It was funny to read it. I just don't understand why if you say had a very pleasant stay at the hotel, you liked the garden, the location, the breakfast, then you rate us 4 out of 5 points.. Just curious. Maybe it was a mistake, but the most important this is to read you nice memories of Florence, with a lot of suggestions for next guests. Thank you!
Francesco Bini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
melbourne
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed here for four nights and had a great time, breakfast was wonderful, all staff were so very helpful with where to go etc.. free internet you cannot go past this hotel also good price

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, I am very pleased to read your special appreciation for the breakfast. The breakfast room and the service has been recently renovated and I am pleased to find we found a good way of improving. I am also pleased to read how you enjoyed the friendly staff and the free internet service. Thank you!!
Kanab, Utah
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I have written reviews in the past and I am very candid and honest in my reviews. This place is ideally located, so that one can walk to many of the most important museums and sites easily. The building was formerly the home of the Medici family, an important family in Florence. The place is a work of art, as well as an art gallery. Most importantly, the rooms were large and comfortable (we opted for a Garden Room), the service was great, the staff quite helpful and friendly, the price for the location and room was more than a bargain, and a great breakfast was included.

I cannot think of one reason NOT to stay here!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Farden room for a few dollars and hear the fountain outside your window and enjoy the...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Madame, thanks for this wonderful review.. there's not mach to add, just a super-thanks for sharing this with us and with the people online.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed in this beautiful hotel in Florence and the room was clean, moden and in the center of Florence, we loved it and will come back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thanks for sharing you appreciatio of the clean and modern room. The center of Florence is a very special place everyone should sleep in at least once in their life! Thank you.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Upon arriving at our room I actually took photos of each room and the garden outside before emailing the pictures to friends.

Room Tip: We had a Garden Room and it was remarkable.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest, what a nice idea. Thanks for sharing your positive impression with your friends. We look forward to seeing you again in Florence soon.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I just returned from a 3 night stay in Florence at this hotel. The rooms were spotless. The hotel staff were all friendly and helpful. Breakfast had a very goog selection of foods and is served on a beautiful terrace ig weather allows. They made reservations for me to see "David" as well.
The location is around the corner from The Accadamia and just a few blocks from the Central Market. Everything else was no more than a 20 minute walk away.
I would definitely stay there again on my next visit to Florence!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, I am very pleased to read your special appreciation for the choice at the breakfast. The breakfast room and the service has been recently renovated and I am pleased to find we found a good way of improving. Thank you als for the description of the area, it will be very useful for next users!!
Boston, MA
Reviewed 1 August 2011

When I needed two rooms for a two day visit to Florence with my niece recently there was no question that I would book this, one of my all time favorite hotels. I had memories of a perfect visit here several years ago.

On arrival Sunday afternoon we were told that the hotel had hosted a wedding that weekend and that some of the party had decided to extend their stay so only one room was available. We were asked to substitute an apartment next door for one of the rooms one night. We agreed. The hotel was indeed crowded, and the following morning when we met for breakfast there were no tables available in either the indoor or outdoor breakfast seating areas.

For the inconvenience they paid for our museum tickets, but I need to add that the charge for each room Sunday night was 365 euros (nearly $500), way more than I spent on four star hotels in London, Paris and Rome. Isn't that enough to guarantee a room in the hotel?

The hotel is perfectly situated, close enough to walk to all of the Florence tourist sites within 5 to 10 minutes, but in a relatively quiet area. The rooms remain well appointed and very clean as I remembered. However, I missed the feeling or concern for the guest which had made this a favorite hotel.

2 Thank engineer77
gflorence, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear Madame, thanks for your message! I am sorry for the inconvenience during your stay. It was difficult to manage so many people for us too. The price was so high because all the special discounts were already booked by other guests, you hit the "rack" rate, which is the highest. I am especially sorry because you were a returning client, but if the next time you come to Florence you send me an email remembering me the inconvenience, just book the cheapest room and I'll offer you a free upgrade to the nicest room available. Please refer to me.