Hotel, Lobby, Guest area and rooms are very, very nice. We booked a junior suite - like the pictures on their website - huge, nicely decorated and for italian standards very, very clean.
On the other hand there were some things we def. didn´t like:
- (situation at the) breakfast - too crowded, poor quality - it´s the first meal of the day and should be served in a relaxig atmosphere - they don´t have enough tables for all the guests - especially in the autumn and winter time when the terrace can´t be used - serving times are only from 7.30-9.30 - that´s not very comfortable
- they offer free internet which is nice, but they should clean up the keyboards - there were white (in the past) - right now they are grey/ black
- the reception staff was always very bored - it seems that they are students who spent their time there to earn some money - they are not very interested in guests and their needs
- if they take money from guests all over the world they should also offer some german and english TV-channels - if you spend nearly one week in the city you like to hear some news or watch a movie in your mother-language when you return to the hotel in the night - to have 40 channels only in italian is not very helpful
- we ordered museum-tickets via email with the reception-desk - they were not there when we want them
- sparkling wine was promissed when I booked the room online (especially it was the suite), but we never get it
Florence is absolutely a walkable city - we never used a bus or taxi (only to get from and to the airport - standard fee of 20 Euro).
If you leave the hotel to the left, straight on, you´ll reach a small supermarket in around 4 minutes where you can get bottled water for only 30 Cents - so you don´t have to buy it for 3 Euro - what they charge at the tourist-points...
They also offer very good tuscany ham, sausage and cheese - as an opportunity for a delicious and cheap dinner.
We tried the Hard Rock Cafe (10 minutes from hotel), the bar at the Savoy/ Rocco Forte hotel and the restaurant at the Accademia (2 minutes from hotel) - all of them were very good - for sure a bit expensive, but absolutely worth the money.
Don´t waste your time at the restaurant near the post office - it looks very nice, but you pay too much for nothing and bad service.
The worst experience we had with the "Gilli Cafe" - they ignored us for 20 minutes when we get a table - so we left this place!!!
The museum card which you can buy at the tourist-information is very good - valid for 3 days, 50 euro and you can visit nearly every museum without waiting in line - very convenient.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Florence Hotel Orto de' Medici’s location is ideal because while located in the “historic center” of Florence it is just outside the noisy hustle and bustle…which is only a short walk away. When walking through our hotel in Florence, you really do feel like you are in a classic and upscale historic building. The front desk staff is very helpful and friendly, and from the moment you arrive you are made to feel very welcome. Each room is uniquely and elegantly appointed, a restful oasis for the busy traveler. The bathroom is very spacious and the shower is wonderful after a long day of sightseeing. Breakfast, with plenty to select from, is served in a cozy room that spills out into a welcoming patio and a beautiful little garden. The hotel lobby and reading rooms are a nice place to relax after a full day of sightseeing (plus free internet - either wifi or with brand new Apple computers). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Orto De Medici reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Orto De Medici Hotel
- Orto De Medici Florence
- Hotel Orto De Medici Florence Italy