“Hotel very nice, Service could be better...”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #40 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Hotel, Lobby, Guest area and rooms are very, very nice. We booked a junior suite - like the pictures on their website - huge, nicely decorated and for italian standards very, very clean.

On the other hand there were some things we def. didn´t like:
- (situation at the) breakfast - too crowded, poor quality - it´s the first meal of the day and should be served in a relaxig atmosphere - they don´t have enough tables for all the guests - especially in the autumn and winter time when the terrace can´t be used - serving times are only from 7.30-9.30 - that´s not very comfortable

- they offer free internet which is nice, but they should clean up the keyboards - there were white (in the past) - right now they are grey/ black

- the reception staff was always very bored - it seems that they are students who spent their time there to earn some money - they are not very interested in guests and their needs

- if they take money from guests all over the world they should also offer some german and english TV-channels - if you spend nearly one week in the city you like to hear some news or watch a movie in your mother-language when you return to the hotel in the night - to have 40 channels only in italian is not very helpful

- we ordered museum-tickets via email with the reception-desk - they were not there when we want them

- sparkling wine was promissed when I booked the room online (especially it was the suite), but we never get it

Florence is absolutely a walkable city - we never used a bus or taxi (only to get from and to the airport - standard fee of 20 Euro).
If you leave the hotel to the left, straight on, you´ll reach a small supermarket in around 4 minutes where you can get bottled water for only 30 Cents - so you don´t have to buy it for 3 Euro - what they charge at the tourist-points...
They also offer very good tuscany ham, sausage and cheese - as an opportunity for a delicious and cheap dinner.

We tried the Hard Rock Cafe (10 minutes from hotel), the bar at the Savoy/ Rocco Forte hotel and the restaurant at the Accademia (2 minutes from hotel) - all of them were very good - for sure a bit expensive, but absolutely worth the money.

Don´t waste your time at the restaurant near the post office - it looks very nice, but you pay too much for nothing and bad service.
The worst experience we had with the "Gilli Cafe" - they ignored us for 20 minutes when we get a table - so we left this place!!!

The museum card which you can buy at the tourist-information is very good - valid for 3 days, 50 euro and you can visit nearly every museum without waiting in line - very convenient.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank shopgirl007
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2011

Dear Madame, thanks for leaving the review. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the room style, and the cleaning service too. I am sorry we made some human mistakes with your stay, but if you please had told us before you left, like of the missing bottle, we had offered you two of them for free, just to apologize. Sorry!

As regards the breakfast we are currently evaluating to get a cover for the first half of the terrace in order to make it available in wintertime too. So thanks for your opinion. As regards the variety of food we are also developing some new ideas, but expectations are high, and as far as the preset situation, we cannot able to offer hot food.

As regards the keyboards, the solution is not as easy as you propose: as you can imagine they are used a lot everyday and Apple makes them quite fragile, so cleaning them with products may also mean to break them.

For the TVs in Tuscany we are getting very close to the switch to the Digital TV, so it was inconvenient until now to change the models of TV. We planned to substitute all the old TVs by this November, so also many new channels will be available later on.

Thanks also for the suggestions about restaurants for the next travellers.

I am sure next time we will be more prompt to help you with any request. Just don't be shy, please :)

Grazie, Francesco Bini

Reviewed 19 October 2011

I had such high hopes for the Hotel Orto De Medici. My husband and I wanted to visit Florence and use it as a base for visiting the wonderful towns of Tuscany. I booked months in advance, directly from the hotel's website and was happy to have gotten a "Classic Room" for a reasonable rate. I read that one of the newer rooms was fantastic and made a request to the hotel. The hotel replied promptly that the room was already reserved but will make a note in case of cancellations, and was assured that there were plenty of beautiful rooms available.

When we arrived, we found the lobby to be beautiful. Very modern and nicely decorated. There were 2 computers for guests to use - a huge plus!! The gentleman at the front desk was very nice and told us that room I requested was a Superior Room which was unavailable. This was fine - until I saw the room we were given. The room was spacious, but dark with little charm. The furniture was old and worn. It looked like something you would get from a yard sale. The bed was large, but the covers also looked old and worn out. I asked the front desk if there were any newer rooms available and was told that they were fully booked.

I came to realize that their Classic Rooms = older un-renovated rooms. I wish I had known this. Not once in my correspondence with the hotel was this mentioned. I would add that my review is not simply one of personal taste in decor. As there were 2 nights that were quite chilly, we used the spare blanket. As the night progressed, I noticed a musty odor that came from the blanket. I would have gladly spent extra money for a better room, or have gotten accomodations elsewhere.

Room Tip: Classic Room = Old Un-renovated rooms
2  Thank ilovecookie24
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Dear Madame, thanks for the review. I always repeat to check carefully the room galleries on the website when you book a room. I am sorry we could not change you to another room you had preferred, but September is the high season for us, and sometimes we are full. I assure that many people likes the "classic" style of our rooms, you can read in many reviews hereunder. We offer them at special rates in order to help the budget travellers.
Thanks for leaving an appreciation to the lobby and the staff. Next time you know what you have to look for: Deluxe room ;-)

Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed in a spacious room with a balcony overlooking the garden and the city. The view was spectacular. The staff were warm,helpful and very congenial. The hotel is very tastefully decorated and we would definately return as it was within easy walking distance of all the attractions, retaurants, markets. etc.

1  Thank Ken R

Dear Guest, thanks for the brief summary of all the positive features you encountered in the hotel. I am glad we were able to let you spend a remarkable time in beautiful Florence. Thank you!!

Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed here because our hiking tour of Tuscany met at the hotel. It was beautiful, clean and comfortable. Every amenity is available, including fresh air patio for breakfast, with the best coffee and hard rolls. The room is modern and sleek and requires you to save energy, as you can't turn on the lights without the door key, and you can't leave the room without turning off the lights when you take your key. The concierge was so helpful with directions to the best pizza place in town. We loved our stay here. It made a beautiful, romantic city even better.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the nice review. You listed many of the amenities available, like the patio, the concierge and the modern room stile. I hope to see you back soon at the Orto de' Medici!

Reviewed 9 October 2011

While this was very close walking distance to all the major sites, it felt like you were "just" out of the major tourist hub (exactly what we wanted!). The room was modern and was a good size (we were in the deluxe overlooking the garden). They were very kind and provided us with a bottle of Prosseco to celebrate our anniversary - a lovely touch!
The only downside that we noted was that the air conditioning wasn't very good. While the nights were cool enough to open the window for cool air, there were no screens & many mosquitoes.
Not sure if it's a bad thing, but we thought that it was odd that we needed to give in our keys when we left the hotel each day. They held them behind the desk until our return - no problems with this, just was a bit unusual.

The staff here were very helpful & suggested some of the best restaurants we had been to on our holiday. I would suggest asking for their opinion & not just relying on the printed review at the front desk - they suggested several others not on there which were perfect!

Room Tip: Get the deluxe room
1  Thank Tarles
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2011

Dear Guest, thanks for your review! If you have problems with the air conditioning please tell to the lobby anytime, so we can check and all the assistance if necessary We ask to leave the room keys at the desk because it's safer in general, and because it's our way to see if a client is in or out the room, for cleaning, maintenance and service. We are a small, familiar, so we do not have magnetic keys.
Thanks for all your suggestions for the next travellers.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel for six nights and had a fantastic time. The staff were friendly and always helpful. They recommended restaurants, booked tickets, arranged taxis. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a lovely room - that was kept spotless by the staff. We requested a room with a shower and were given a room with a wet room - perfect for someone with mobility problems. The location was exactly as described - no more than 15 minutes from the Duomo. We loved having breakfast on the terrace every morning. Really, we found this hotel faultless and loved every minute of our stay.

Room Tip: It's worth paying the extra for a room with a view. We loved falling asleep listening to the fou...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, thanks for the feedback. Actually the fall was one of the warmest ever, so relaxing in our terrace at the breakfast or at the Music bar in the evening was really a nice experience. I am glad you also enjoyed the size and the comfort of the room, so I hope to see you back soon! Tanks

Reviewed 9 October 2011

The hotel Orto De Medici is, indeed, in a beautiful and sofisticated building. The hotel is confortable, well located, quiet and spotless clean (except for the keyboards of these Macs, that are very dirty).

My overall experience here has been pleasant, although the breakfast finishing at only 9,30 is a pain for my jetlagged self.

The only real complain I have is about the add that made me choose the room.
I wanted to make a surprise to my wife, so I booked a Superior Room, as seen on the web site (and leaflet). For that I paid a premium, with the total cost of US 1220.00 for four nights.

Much to my surprise, when we arrived, the room was not what I had paid for, or so I thought.
I had not told anything to my wife, so I didn't want to make a fuss about it.

The next morning I took my iPad to the front desk clerk. I showed the picture of the room in the web site and said: Buon giorno, I booked the Superior Room, like this, and mine it not like this. He looked at me and said, simply: This is the picture of "a" Superior Room, not "the" superior room, yours is "a" superior room, a different one.

I didn't want to stress myself and ruin my stay in Florence because of this, so I just let go and put it in my personal "bill" of expensive knowledge acquired through experience.

Since I had chosen this hotel in the Trip Advisor, I decided to tell my story here, to warn future clients about the "subtle" diference. When booking a Superior Room at Orto de Medici, make sure you're booking "The Superior Room" not "A Superior Room". I'm including a few pictures I took. Two of them I took from the leaflet, showing the advertised rooms. The other one, is of our room, remarkably similar to the Classic Room advertised. There is a small balcony on the other side of the curtains, I'll grant the Orto this. Misleadind pictures is a game that we can both play. Nevertheless, I don't feel I'm getting what I paid for, and dreamed to offer my wife. Other than this, I'd recomend this hotel. Thank you! (one last thing, I'm still here, for two days, so this review can still go up, or down, stay tunned). Fernando.

Room Tip: Make sure the type of room you choose from the pictures is the room you're going to get.
1  Thank Feribeiro
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Dear Sir, I am quite surprised to read your review. I am sorry if we were not able to communicate correctly the different types of rooms. We have four superior rooms, two of them overlook the San Lorenzo are and two overlook the San Marco and the Duomo. The view is nicer on the side you stayed in, but you did not even mentioned that! October is so warm this year, what a pleasure should be to have a drink in the private balcony overlooking the famous Dome of Florence! The rooms on the other side, to compensate a less interesting view over the roofs of old town, are a little larger, with a bigger balcony. Some guests prefer a room side, some the other. What make a room "superior" in definitely the Balcony. If you have a special preference for one or the other please specify at the reservation time and we will do our best to help you.

I am nevertheless happy to read you enjoyed the confort, the style, the location and the cleniness of the hotel.