“This is a nice hotel, reasonably priced - we enjoyed it.”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #50 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Spokane, Washington
“This is a nice hotel, reasonably priced - we enjoyed it.”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

It was our first time in Florence, and this was a convenient location, a nice place. The staff was friendly, the rooms clean and roomy, and breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: We liked the garden view room.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear Guest, I am glad to read how you enjoyed your stay in a garden view room. We do our best to be friendly and to offer you spotless rooms. Thanks for the appreciation for the breakfast.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chudleigh, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Spent four nights in this lovely hotel - staff were friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is thinking of travelling to Florence

Room Tip: Ask for Room 40 on top floor for balcony and views
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sue P
Dear Guest, the room #40 is our Superior Room with private balcony and top floor view. Please recommend it to your friends is thinking of travelling to Florence! Thank you.
london
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Hotel Orto De Medici is ideally located and was part of what made our Christmas stay this December so special. The hotel is elegant, but not pretentious and offers genuine hospitality in lovely surroundings. My mother and I had our own rooms which were standard with on suite shower rooms but were spacious and perfect for our needs.
The location is excellent and walking to all of the major areas is extremely easy from this location, we also walked from the coach/train station to the hotel on arrival with our bags, which is completely feasible.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Depends how much you want to spend, we had the entry level rooms on the 1st floor and mine was next...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest, I appreciate your feedback, thanks for sharing your impressions with other travellers. Room 14/15 are classic rooms with view: they are very nice and available at very convenient prices!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed at the Orto De Medici in December and had a great time! We paid for the deluxe room through hotels.com and based on reviews in trip advisor, I was hoping for one of the really nice rooms i.e. Room 80 or 81. Sure enough, when we checked in, Francesca greeted us at the front desk (he is the one who responds to the posts here) and were given.....room 80! This is also the room that is featured on their brochure. You get to the room by walking through the garden and then through a glass door. There are only 4 rooms accessible, 2 of which are on the second floor (you basically get your own private staircase and elevator to reach rooms 80 and 81).

The room is really clean and I felt just like at home (which is very unusual, since I often irk at slightly dirty or claustrophobic feeling hotel rooms).

Breakfast was lovely ---- pastries, breads, great fresh ground coffee, meats.

The hotel was a very quick walk to the Duomo, SMN and even to the Vecchio Bridge. We could not ask for a more perfect location.

I know that several in this forum were not pleased with the front desk holding passports at checkin. This also happened to us and I saw it as a courtesy for us to go to our rooms to unwind while they complete the registration for us. We were able to hop back downstairs within 20 minutes to retrieve our passports. Also, it is necessary to leave your keys at the front desk and provide them with your room number when you return. At first, I was a bit surprised that they didn't verify my identity before giving me my keys but after a few days, I think they just recognized me. So I was not concerned. Florence turned out to be a super safe town, especially the area where the hotel is.

Overall, considering that I am a very picky traveler, this hotel was perfect for me and I would highly recommend it.

Please be sure you choose the deluxe room (it does cost a bit more but is well worth it).

Room Tip: We paid for the deluxe room through hotels.com and based on reviews in trip advisor, I was hoping fo...
1 Thank Sue A
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
It's always our pleasure to meet the special requests of our guests. I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay so much and that everything meeted your picky needs :) Grazie for you special mention of front desk and breakfast. Grazie!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My girl friend and I stayed in Hotel Orto De Medici on 23 and 24 Dec 2011 in Florence. It is a pleasant surprise we were greeted with such a exceedingly warm hospitality and helpful reception, and high graded facility. The hotel room, newly renovated, was spacious, clean and classy. Everything is in the best of its form, attention to details, wonderful value for money.

Will certainly stay in this super hotel again next time in Florence ! And I fully recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to stay in Florence.
Keep up the good work, Hotel Orto De Medici !

I am available to offer further details of my experience, and i can be reached on talis.wong@gmail.com

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor which are newly renovated.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks to you a lot for your positive feedback. The rooms on the ground floor are the "deluxe" ones, which I especially recommend if you are looking for a modern, cosy and top-comfort room.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed three nights in December. This hotel doesn't stand out from the outside, but once inside it is beautiful. It has many open areas for sitting (not just the front lobby) and has a lovely courtyard behind it. All of the staff members from friendly and helpful. The location is outside of the core Duomo area, but stiff very close. It is about a 10 minute walk directly down the street to arrive at the Baptistry. Just walk out the door and turn left. It is a 15 minute walk from the Firenze SMN train station, and is one block away from San Marco Square (where the bus to Fiesole departs) and the Accademia. Across the street is an excellent (affordable) bar/cafe/panini store.

The room was very comfortable and above average size for Europe. The room had the type of shower that is just a shower fixture in the corner of the bathroom, with a shower curtain that slides around the area. It contained the water perfectly, but note there was no bathtub. There were about 7 tv channels, including CNN, BBC, a couple music channels and at least one French or German channel (I don't remember which) along with Italian channels. The bed was extremely confortable to me. The room was nicely appointed with a large dresser, chair, table, etc.
The internet connection worked very well. They actually have many wifi signal points so that you can choose the strongest signal for your location (they are named "second floor," "garden," etc.).
Breakfast was excellent and included meats, cheeses, bread, mozzarella balls, fruit, yogurt, etc. There was a juice machine and espresso / cappuccino machine also. Overall a terrific value and I wouldn't have any reason to consider another hotel if I return to Florence.

3 Thank uclabobby
Thanks for your review. We do our best to always improve and your feedback is always very precious to us. I am glad to read how you liked the room and the service. Thanks for the punctual description of the location and its surroundings.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed at the Orto for two nights in early December 2011. Our room was comfortable and very clean. The bathroom was spacious and well appointed. The location was very convenient and the breakfast buffet was good (no eggs, though). Our particular room had french doors rather than a window which made it difficult to get the room as cool as we would have liked. Also, our room overlooked the fire escape and we heard kitchen noise early each morning which would be a problem for a late sleeper. Desk staff was helpful and spoke English well. The walk from the train station was short and the hotel was in a nice neighborhood with restaurants and shopping nearby.