“Nice hotel but wouldn't stay again”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #50 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Rocky River, Ohio, United States
“Nice hotel but wouldn't stay again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

Hotel was a bit dated. Room was nice. Breakfast not worth including in price. We reserved 3 nights several months in advanced and the day we checked in they said they had maintenance problems and moved us to another hotel for the first night. When we came back the next day the other receptionist let the cat out of the bag that our room wasn't ready yet because it was still occupied by guests who hadn't checked out yet. Didn't appreciate being lied to about the "maintenance." Left us with a bad impression. For this reason we would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Katie K
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Katie,
I am sorry for the misunderstanding, but we did NOT lie to you. Unfortunately, we had extraordinary maintenance in some rooms at the switch from Heating to Air Conditioning, since some machines had problems. So we did not have rooms enough for a few reservations therefore we had to book them somewhere else the fewest number of nights possible. On the next day maintenance wasn't finished, but some other clients was checking out, so a room would have become available some hours later.... It is common when you run a hotel that the final room assignment happens at the very beginning of each morning and it could even change during the same day.
Also, you do not mention that for the inconvenience of changing hotel during your stay (a same class hotel, in the same area, same high-Tripadvisor rating), you were offered some benefits, like free upgrade in Deluxe Room, free bottle of Champagne in the new room and a free voucher for an activity in the city.
I hope you will change your mind and come back to Florence Hotel Orto de' Medici.
Francesco Bini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Shrub Oak, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

The only issue was the shower, there was no curtain and the tile was broken. They need to address it. Fix it and hang a showery curtain or take tub out and install a standing shower. The staff was very helpful and couldn't do enough. Was centrally located and easy walking distance to everything. in the afternoon the music, birds and the waterfall sounds was very soothing. It was very intimate and cozy. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The court yard room was great, you hear the music and the fountain. You overlook the garden better t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry for the small inconvenience it seems that our handyman was unfortunately out. We have definitely got on the job to fix things. However, we appreciate your kind words.
rhinebeck,ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

This hotel is located within walking distance of the Duomo and many other sites. It is off the beaten track,an old palazzo, small and friendly. It is near to San Marco Piazza where there are many busses going around the city.There is a lovely garden room for breakfast, in the early evening it becomes a pleasant place to sit and enjoy a glass of vino while listening to soft music. The rooms are small but comfortable. The people at reception were very helpful in navigating the city. I would recommended this hotel to anyone who likes small, intimate hotels. The location was quiet and away from the crowds, but easy access if you like to walk.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank milsug
Dear Guest,
Thank you for such a nice and peaceful description of the Hotel! Yes the building itself is quite old. As a matter of fact in the late 16th Century it was recognized as the premier Art Academy in Europe. We do however, have rooms that were renovated in 2009 the Deluxe rooms that are a bit more spacious.
Cuckfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

My wife and I spent a long weekend here, with two close friends, and counted ourselves very fortunate to have secured a booking as most hotels seemed to be full. It's a manageable walk from the station with rollalong suitcases (though we did get a taxi for the return trip) and first impressions were very good. Checking in was one of the fastest I have ever experienced (though some of the reception staff could do with learing to smile a bit more and look cool a bit less!) Our rooms were on the first floor, and facing the courtyard garden, which meant that they were pleasantly quiet (at least until breakfast preparations began) with only the sound of birdsong, bells and the fountain. Quite an achievement in such a bustling city. The decor is a good mix of contemporary styling with antique furnishings, and it works well. The buffet breakfast can be enjoyed on the outside terrrace. Mysteriously, the staff seemed keener on rearranging the packets of biscuits than clearing the tables... The only disappointment was that coffee was dispensed from a push-button machine: in a country where coffee has such significance this was a bit of a travesty especially if you enjoy a good coffee as much as I do! Otherwise the hotel is well placed: a direct 10 minute walk will bring you to the heart of the old city, and there is a handy convenience store directly opposite for when you need that bottle of water in the evening. Overall we liked the hotel's individuality: you knew you were in a hotel in Italy rather than staying in a bland international chain.

Room Tip: First floor rooms overlooking the gargen are quiet in the afternoon/eveing but noisier in the mornin...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NeilGJ888
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are happy you found some individuality in the hotel while staying with us. You are right our Deluxe rooms are able to give a very peaceful atmosphere in such a busy city like Florence. We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the coffee and it didn't reach your expectations. As for us staff members we are always willing to grow better at our jobs and thanks to comments like yours we are able to correct our mistakes.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Oddly, this might have turned out different...I give the hotel and its management a big 5 star recommendation after a trip that started out with a potential problem. I arrived after a grueling business trip and a 5-day conference in Italy, looking for a little relaxation in a city i had never visited. Walking into the hotel I learned the hotel was overbooked--I was told that for the first night of my stay I would be put in a room with a single bed, not the double room I had reserved. I was not happy--a single bed in a cramped room is not a recipe for sound sleep...at least unless you are 10-years old.

BUT...I give credit to the hotel managers for agreeing to my request that I not be charged for that night. And on their own, they upgraded me for the remaining 2 nights to a deluxe room AND, on their own accord, gave me not one bottle but 2 bottles of wine-champagne (one put in the single room and another waiting for me when I moved to the other room). In addition, when I had to recharge my pre-paid mobile, the young woman at the desk helped out by calling Vodaphone and entering the numbers for the re-charge card (btw, thanks Vodaphone for the poor service--you would think they would offer other language options if they are in fact catering to tourists).

Lesson is this: traveling is not a perfect science. Stuff happens. Mistakes occur. The key is customer service--how does your hotel-restaurant-airline address a problem? Mostly, today's customer service is in breathtaking decline and of such poor quality (speaking as a traveler around the world for 4 decades). But, the hotel responded well, addressed the issue and overall the stay was great. I would highly recommend staying here because, if you do, you know that any problem will be handled and resolved well.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jonathan T
gflorence, Direttore at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear Guest,
Your review describes very accurately what happened. In Florence during your stay there was a major international conference going on and it was not easy to satisfy all the requests we received. We tried accommodating as many guests as possible aware of the compromises that sometimes must be accepted. I am happy that in the end even in your case we managed to solve the problem, although I was not present. All my staff is highly trained and I was promptly contacted with a detailed description of the situation. They have no permission at all to NOT let guests pay for stays, but, given my absence I thought it was appropriate to offer you a night even though I had never done this before. I would honestly like to say that if I had been present I would have explained to you our side of the situation trying to find a solution that would have satisfied both our needs. I'm sure we would have succeeded. I wanted to thank you for the nice words, but I also wanted to specify that we do not offer free nights to guests who complain even if they have the right to ask for it. Giving respect towards each guest and our awareness of wanting to always meet their expectations are just some of the main goals we try to reach while working, but, we must keep in mind that each situation is handled differently and the business method while devoting our time must not be confused.
Giacomo Bufalini (Manager)
italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Living in Italy and being a lecturer on luxury cruise ships means I get rather spoiled.
When I go to Florence I like to have luxury surroundings but without 5 star prices. Orto dei Medici offers the best of both worlds: top level accomodations (large marble shower with powerful shower head, hip furnishings , comfy beds) set inside an elegant palazzo in central area close to San Marco (finally got to visit this time) . I've stayed in both the original building and the new annex overlooking the garden and Verrocchio fountain . Friendly breakfast staff and new lounges, free computer use are other pluses.

Room Tip: Garden view no. 80 absolute silence... only music of birds singing.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank palazzo
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Thanks for sharing your experience at the hotel with all the travellers. It is especially precious from a returning client and a person who is into the travel business like you, and I am so glad to read how you enjoyed the atmosphere, the decoration, the staff and the breakfast of the hotel.
Grazie! Francesco Bini
Krefeld, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Very good location, many tourist attractions just a short walking distance away. We never had to use a bus or a taxi except for the airport connection.
Nice historic building, very clean and elegant rooms (had to change the first one we've got, found it too drafty), unexpectedly wide food selection at the buffet breakfast, nice, friendly and helpful staff, very efficient breakfast team. We felt very well taken care of during the whole stay. Very nice reading room and breakfast room with a view to the wonderful garden.
On the negative side, the rooms were not very soundproof. Some of the doors were as old as the historic building itself and didn't close very well. Noises, a perfectly normal occurrence in every hotel, seemed to go through all but unfiltered.
But overall, a very pleasant stay in a wonderful city. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Florence!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. Hearing that you felt taken care of is very nice for us! Room changes or upgrades when possible is just one of our ways of trying to satisfy our clients needs. We are glad you were satisfied! As for the unexpected noise problems, we apologize. Unfortunately in a hotel sometimes there are noisy clients.