“A relaxing laid back hotel with excellent customer service.”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #45 of 412 Hotels in Florence
Stockholm, Sweden
“A relaxing laid back hotel with excellent customer service.”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Myself and my partner have travelled to Florence a number of times and experienced all sorts of hotels but this particular one really stood out.

We booked on-line through the hotels own website and for an advanced booking were offered a generous discount. I called the hotel to clarify a small point about which rooms had balconies and was told that only one of the Deluxe rooms had one, but as my booking was so far in advanced they would endeavour to reserve that particular room for me.

When we arrived the room with the balcony was not available but we weren't particularly bothered as it wasn't something we were promised or paid extra for. However upon getting to our room we found a chilled bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us a with a personal note from the manager apologising for the room not being available. Totally unexpected but a really nice touch of personal service!

On the second day, arriving back at our room after a day in town, housekeeping had made up the room and there was a letter on the bed. Another personal note from the management congratulating me on my birthday and thanking me for spending it with the hotel. I hadn't informed them of this and can only assume someone was paying attention to the details on my passport when I checked in. Again, a really nice personal touch.

The Deluxe room we took was excellent - modern and clean and well laid out and with the terrace right outside. We were concerned about privacy and noise but with the inner curtain this was not an issue and the room was well soundproofed and we could barely hear anyone outside.

Our room was really nicely decorated and had a separate toilet and wash/shower room which was a convenient. They were a little small but large enough to serve the purpose they were designed for. There was plenty of storage space for luggage and clothes next to the bathroom meaning we didn't have to clutter our room. The bed was very comfortable compared to some I've slept on in Italy and the air conditioning worked well and was quiet enough to not disturb sleep.

The flat screen TV offered a lot of channels but as is normal in Italy, few of them showed any programs in English. However, I didn't travel to Italy to watch TV so not really an issue. Wifi was free and had great coverage and was very fast. There was also two Apple computers in the reception area with a printer free for guests to use which made printing things like boarding cards and tickets a stress free experience.

A few reviews complained about the "bar" at the hotel. There isn't a bar per-se as you might expect at other hotels. It's a small room adjacent to the terrace where staff will happily mix you a drink and bring it out to you on the veranda. It's more akin to enjoying a drink with friends on their garden patio than a hugely stock bar. If you really do need that much variety I would suggest you try the bar next door to the hotel or the other across the street. We actually enjoyed the laid back "drinks on the patio" feeling more than a noisy hotel bar.

Breakfast was typically continental with toast, cold cuts, jams, fruit salad, etc. so if you are expecting sausage, eggs and bacon this isn't for you. The kitchen staff were efficient and helpful. It could get a little crowded in the dining room so I'd pick your breakfast time carefully.

The hotels location is perfect being far enough from the centre of town to be quiet but not so far that it's a long walk. 10-15 minutes sees you at the main square. Taxi to-from the hotel from the airport was €25 and took 20 minutes tops.

We consider ourselves a fairly laid back, take it as it comes, adventurous couple and this hotel was wonderful. Quiet, relaxing and a great place to switch off. The staff were helpful and courteous, spoke excellent English and were always there when you needed them.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 80 which was the Deluxe room on the first floor near the terrace. Cool, quiet and...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear N J,
I cannot spend enough words to thank you for such a long and detailed review. I am so glad to read your special mentions to the service and the bar.
Thank you a lot, Grazie!
Francesco Bini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We spent three nights at Orto de Medici, loved this hotel. Clean, adequate room with cute attractive beds. I was impressed to see how energy-conscious Hotel Orto is, we had a room key as well as a key to activate the electricity in the room on the same key-ring! The buffet breakfast was more than adequate and this was the first, and only, hotel where we had freshly squeezed orange juice delivered by an awesome machine which we activated ourselves. It is also within walking distance to many of the interesting sites. Mauro at the Front Desk was friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful.
We would certainly stay here again and definitely recommend it to all visiting Florence.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. It's great to read how you appreciated everything even the small key used to turn on and off electricity. Thank you also for recommending.
Ciao from Florence!
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Found the hotel online and was pleasantly surprised by its charm, location, cleanliness, great outdoor courtyard, tasty and plentiful breakfast, free wifi, computers & pleasant, knowledgable, helpful staff. Would stay here again. Had a triple room - large, view of garden, comfortable.\Very good value for the $$. Easy walk to all sites - straight down Via San Gallo to Doumo and more; around the corner from Accademia.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback! I'm happy we exceeded your expectations. Hope to have you again as our guest.
Kind Regards,
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Hotel Giardino de Medici was a great find. Just a short cab from Florence's main train station, but a comfortable and quiet hotel with attentive staff. Would definitely recommend to others (already have done so!) and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
gflorence, Front Office Manager at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear JanBeez,
Thanks for your lovely review, I can feel the smile on your face and I am pleased for that :-)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I recently stayed five nights at this hotel. It's a short walk (10-15 minutes) from the station and close to shops (including a grocery store) and the markets. There are also many very nice cafes (bars) close by, especially on via Guelfa.

The hotel is about 15-20 minutes walk from the Duomo area - which I think is a big PLUS! It was so nice to be away from the crowds and craziness of the tourist areas. The markets closest to the hotel were also much larger (and better I think), than the markets close to the attractions.

My room was small, but very pleasant. It contained a desk, TV and a fridge, which was great for storing snacks.The bathroom was modern and clean and the bed was very comfortable. My only quibble is the lack of a decent in-room safe. The safe was small and could easily be picked up with one hand. I couldn't really see the point of such a safe.

Breakfast was included in my tariff and served in a very pleasant breakfast room. It was possible to eat either inside or outside on the terrace. The food was typical continental - cereal, cold meat, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, toast, pastries, etc. It was simple but fresh and certainly adequate.

Staff were generally friendly and helpful. The only exception was when the young girl was on duty. She seemed to be more interested in her computer than in providing customer service.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would probably return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Oztripper_1
Dear Oztripper,
Thanks for your review. All your suggestions are precious for us to keep improving in the future. I will make sure all the staff reads you review, as it contains useful remarks. I hope to see you back sometimes in Florence.
Grazie
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed for 2 days in early-September 2013. The location is very good, being close to the centre of Florence. We got a warm reception on arrival and arrangements were made to garage our car for the duration. We had a nice, bright bedroom off the garden. Breakfast was provided in the pleasant, upstairs dining room. And the concierge was helpful at all times and gave us a good restaurant tip. We would use this hotel again if we return to Florence.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Your feedback is very appreciated! Great to know you enjoyed your stay. Hope to have you again as our guests in the near furture.
Ciao from Florence.
Coral Springs, Florida, United States
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I had the pleasure to stay at the Hotel Orto de' Medici in Firenze for three nights last week. This was the first time traveling alone. I am an American living briefly in Italia.
I cannot give enough kudos to the hotel and staff. I arrived by car, which is a problem in Firenze since there is little or no parking. I called ahead and their valet parking service is the same price as most self parking elsewhere. Reserved parking to drop off your car in front of the hotel. Effortless!
The hotel is interesting and clean and quiet (this is a miracle in Firenze!) Close to the important land marks and shopping. All easily reached by walking. I slept so soundly in my quiet room. Breakfast was superb and was served in the garden. It was a great way to start off an exhausting quest to look and draw the art, shop and eat in Firenze. Cocktails were served at the bar in the same garden before dinner.
The staff spoke perfect English although I tried to speak in my awful Italian. They helped with directions and suggested a fantastic small restaurant in San Marco Square. The entire hotel is well planned but keeps it's Italian personality.
Perfect for me. I highly recommend the Hotel Orto de' Medici (Medici gardens) and will do so to all of my friends.
Ciao!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Elizabeth R
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Love to know you enjoyed our services and your stay! Please do come back and thank you also for recommending.
Ciao from Florence!