“Wow, a real treasure”

Palazzo Magnani Feroni
Ranked #21 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 24 June 2011

My husband and I, plus our daughter and her boy friend were overwhelmed by this hotel. It has only 12 rooms, all suites, beautiful accomodations. Surprisingly friendly staff who were all very helpful and accomodating. One of our suites opened onto the courtyard and we "dined" there one evening. It was very memorable. View from the roof top bar is spectacular. If you are going there by car, call the hotel first for directions, The road signs were confusing and we circled a couple of times before we contacted the hotel for directions. The concierge could not have been more helpful. Wish we'd thought to call sooner! Would reccomend this "palace" to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed 23 June 2011

This former palace of an antique dealer to the Medici family could not have been a more interesting place to stay. Each room, which we were fortunate to see many, was completely different from its predecessor. Painted murals on the walls of the smaller rooms to the large suite we stayed in, all was delightful. The service was impeccable; however, do not take advantage of their ticket purchasing arrangements to the Uffizi. We paid double the ticket price on advance warning of sell outs but arrived early and could have entered in half the time and half the fee.

The private roof top bar is wonderful with a 360-degree view of Florence. Be prepared to step up 8 flights so don’t forget anything in your room (especially your camera)! Small appetizer plates of olives, peanuts, and small sandwich selections are served in the evening. The espresso/coffee machines located in lovely locations were a welcome respite in the morning or after a day of sightseeing.

There is a gelateria around the corner of the hotel on the Arno that was fabulous! While Florence is not my favorite city, I wish I could transport the Palazzo Magnani to Rome or anywhere else I would choose to visit in Italy.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank fellowtraveler025
Reviewed 23 June 2011

When we arrived at the Palazzo, it was raining hard. The staff (Laurence) quickly made us feel welcome, gave us a quick tour of the palazzo, and then directed us to a place we could get dinner without getting soaked (across the street). The next morning we discovered that breakfast was varied and delicious, and that the staff there were equally gracious, accomodating and pleasant. That night we discovered the RooftopTerrace Bar, where we took in great views of the city and enjoyed talking to the bartender, who was also eager to make sure everything was as we asked. Thank you to them all, Laurence, Francesca, Emmanuel and Marion. A hotel is nothing without its people, and they all work very hard to make sure the Palazzo is not just a building.

But I also want to make sure you know what the Palazzo is not. It was not at all what we expected. It is not a hotel where you walk into a lobby bustling with activity, elevators and people reading newpapers. It is more like a NY co-op building where other people live, but whom you never see. The "lobby" is more like the foyer of a large house, and quite dark, so when you enter you are not immediately sure you are in the right place. We felt a little like we were intruding on someone's privacy when we entered. The only time we saw other guests was at breakfast and on the Terrace. Even breakfast is quiet because there are so few guests and the room is huge (with a beautiful crystal chandelier).

It is also not like a hotel where you have a room and bathroom. Our suite was HUGE, probably something close to 1200 sq ft. and spread out. It was unlike any other hotel we stayed at in Italy, which are typically small. By comparison, one of the rooms we had in Rome was barely big enough for the bed, and the shower stall was (and I'm not joking) 3 ft by 2 ft!.

But all of these things which the palazzo is not make it what it is; A charming, large quiet oasis in the middle of Florence.

My one complaint is the cost of the Terrace drinks. A single cocktail was 14 euros, so our nightly tab for 4 cocktails and 2 sodas for the kids got close to $100. In an area where everything is expensive (I paid 2.80 euros for 2 apples at a nearby fruit stand!), the price for cocktails on the Terrace was shocking. To put it in perspective, lunch for one at the restaurant across the street was less than the price of a single cocktail on the Terrace.

Room Tip: Get the suites with the upgraded decoration.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank DemandingGuest
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We loved the Palazzo. As soon as you step inside, you know this is not your standard hotel. The place has true character - something which is oh-so missing in so many large hotels nowadays. Yet, it also has the necessary luxury coupled with great service and a very warm welcome.

We were upgraded to a suite as we were on honeymoon, which was very large and comfortable. We loved the small touches such as being able to choose your preferred scent of home-made soap. Our only gripe was that we thought paying EUR8 for a DVD was very steep given the price of the room and the fact that the DVDs weren't exactly new blockbusters! But that was our only complaint.

We loved the roof terrace and sat there every night after coming back from dinner with a bottle of wine overlooking Florence - beautiful. The bar man there is also very charming and provides great service.

The hotel is well located and only minutes walk from the centre. All in all a wonderful choice in Florence.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This was our second week-long stay at the Palazzo and it didn't disappoint. Impeccable service, outstanding breakfast, a wi fi that works. The location is great. Easy walk to most everything on your tourist to-do list and buses that stop either outside or less than a block away that take you in minutes everywhere. For those wanting a laundromat, there are two about two walking blocks away that were always empty. Very fine restaurants in the neighborhood and the staff recommendations were spot on. A special thank you to the young man who manages the breakfast room - couldn't be more welcoming, accommodating and kind. But that goes for everyone in the hotel. I would add that it was my 69th birthday and on our return from dinner, an absolutely delicious birthday cake was waiting for me. So thoughtful. We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2011

I stayed here for 4 wonderful nights and totally enjoyed my visit. I knew from my initial greeting by the concierge, Lawrence, that I was in good hands. She immediately asked what she could help me with to make my trip more enjoyable. I received tickets to the museums, fabulous restaurant recommendations ( all within walking distance)
and friendly inquiries about my day each time I returned.
The food and service were also highest quality, Emmanuel , the roof terrace bartender, was very attentive. The view from there is outstanding.
The housekeeping staff were discreet and efficient.
The location is perfect...away from the chaos of city center, but an easy walk. I never once took a cab the whole time I was there.
I look forward to returning someday soon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Susansandiego72
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I chose this hotel for our family because of the "family suite" that was advertised with two bedrooms and bathrooms and a living room. We were given the Guiseppe rooms which were large and comfortable. The bathrooms were very nice. The master room had a separate tub and shower (it was a small stall) while the teens bathroom had just a shower. We could not have been happier or more impressed with the accomodations! It was like being at home, or at least in a friend's home. The roof top terrace bar had a breathtaking view of Florence's landmarks all lit up at night. The bar tender was attentive and accomodating. My husband and daughter enjoyed using the work out facilities. THe location was fabulous. Just over the bridge from a glamorous shopping area and only an easy 20 minute walk to the Duomo area. THere was a restaurant just across the street and a gelato shop next to that as well as a store that sold sodas and waters nearby. It was the only hotel that I was nervous about as it wasn't affiliated with a brand that I knew from the States and it turned out to be the best stay we had the whole trip! I hope I get to return and enjoy the surroundings and hospitality again soon.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family