“The wonderful Mano running the roof terrace bar”

Palazzo Magnani Feroni
Ranked #18 of 421 Hotels in Florence
London
“The wonderful Mano running the roof terrace bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2008

We received a private invitation to enjoy a birthday drink for my mother on the roof terrace of this beautiful palazzo as we are staying at the wonderful Hotel Plaza Lucchesi. Mano looked after us all evening and we enjoyed a lovely bottle of red wine from the hotel owner's vineyard. Thank you Mano for making my mum's birthday holiday to Florence that extra bit special for her last evening, you are one in a million!.....We hope to stay at your hotel in the near future....Grazie!

• Liked — Mano, the wondeful man runnikng the roof terrace
  • Disliked — having to leave!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2008

This review is long overdue....My wife I and I stayed at the PMF in August of '05 while on our honeymoon. This is not only the best hotel we stayed in during this trip (which included the 5-star Westin in Rome and other great hotels in Italy), but it's the best hotel I've ever stayed in and I've stayed in hotels all across the US, as well as the UAE, China / Hong Kong, Australia, etc. This is THE HOTEL by which I compare all others.
To say the rooms are well appointed is an understatment. The rooms are decorated like little museums. We had floor-to-ceiling bookshelves w/ pictures / paintings and BUSTS on the shelves - unbelievable.

There are only 11 or 12 rooms in this hotel and they're all suites. They're not even numbered, they are named after the family members; we stayed in the "Livia" room.

On entering the room, we had to take time and tour / enjoy the entire room. There were 3 separate rooms w/in our room: the sitting room / ante-chamer which itself had to be 300SF and had big comfy chairs, a couch, a table w/ more chairs and the bookcase; a bedroom w/ a nice comfy bed (might've been a queen, but I think it was a king); and the bathroom which was HUGE, especially for Europe. The bathroom included a separate, glass-encased shower and plenty of room for my wife and I to do our grooming / cleaning in the same bathroom.

After the tour, we reviewed the soap choices (no kidding)...the hotel had a box of FRESH soaps and encouraged us to select the 1 or 2 we liked the most and they'd have those kinds sent up to our room for our use - nice, right?
So, long and short of it, the room was great! Not a great view off the small balcony, but the room itself was spectacular.

The rest of the hotel was just charming, very well decorated and it had fresh flowers everywhere. The rooftop lounge itself was just fantastic and reason enough for visiting this hotel, even if you're not staying there. We got lucky and visited during a full moon under which we sat, listened to nice music and could look out over Florence's famous Duomo and Bapistry, as well as another church tower closer to our hotel. Talk about a ROMANTIC honeymoon!!! Also, the hotel is a 15-minute walk from the Ponte Vecchio and about 30 minutes from the Galleria d'ella Acadamie where Mike's David is located. So it's not in the heart of Florence, but it suited me just fine.

Breakfast was served in a common room every morning and while it probably wasn't the best breakfast spread we had during our honeymoon (that honor would go to the Hotel Villa Ducale in Taormina, Sicily), it was certainly good and abundant, with fresh fruit, cereals and GREAT Italian coffee.

The last and most important item is about service. This anecdote typifies the service we received while at the PMF:
Our first day there, we stopped by the Front Desk and enquired about 2 things:
1) Did they have a recommendation for dinner?
2) We heard there was an Italian outlet mall nearby not to be missed...could they get us more information on that?
- When we returned, we found two typed memos in our box, which the desk clerk handed to us, the first told us they'd made a dinner reservation for us at their recommended location and a car would be at the hotel to pick us up beforehand (for a fee, but we could cancel the car if we wanted to, with no penalty). The second memo informed us about the outlet mall nearby and again, a car had been reserved for us and would pick us up whenever we wanted to in the morning.
Two typed memos....all arrangements handled by the hotel...cars, dinner reservations, whatever...just fantastic. I have never received more personalized service at any other hotel, bar none.

That's it..if / when we get back to Europe, we're going to Italy, we're going to Florence and we're staying at the Palazzo Magnani Feroni. IT IS NOT TO BE MISSED!

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Nothing...it was all great!
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom B
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

We stayed for a supposed 6 nights in April for our 10th Wedding anniversary.
On arrival (we drove from Nice) the luggage ran out to take the car away for me when we were blocking lots of traffic - good move, great service - I know why now. The rates were 40 euros a day for parking! More than the car cost to rent!
They upgraded us to a suite - ground floor Lucrieze or something - nice but not overwhelming room - did not even use the separate seating area apart from the safe and the other TV remote as the one in the bedroom did not work!.
Bed, wardrobes, etc were lovely. Bathroom pretty poor for the price we were paying. When will these places realise that the shower is really important!!!!!
Different soaps etc - nice touch but not really necessary.
The place had no atmosphere -yea go headover heels for the building and the public areas, but there is not real feeling. Summer upstairs on the terrace maybe some good times, but not as good as you get from the Porcuspino Restaurant with Frank and his team!
Breakfast area outstanding? Never. poor. Paying extra for your eggs - when did this ever happen folks? Went in there once and never went back!!!
We wanted to go back home early as the weather was poor and Florence had been Done to death by foot and the Tuscan hills were invisible due to the fog - so we got a flight from Rome and the girl was very helpful with the car rental arrangements (still cost me 400 euros to drop off a french car in italy though) - if the hotel had really had some atmosphere we may have stayed for the duration , but no.
Good points - location. location. location. Nothing more
Oh they did discount some of the parking when we complained, but the internet usage needs to be paid for.
Freebie newspaper was there in the morning without asking.
Did not like having to ring a bell though to get in.
Next time we will stay in a residence or maybe on the hills at Hotel Torre di Bellosguardo? We wil see.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank baldyteacher
twinky65, General Manager at Palazzo Magnani Feroni, responded to this review, 25 April 2008
Dear Sir,

first of all I thank you for your comment. I am deeply sorry for the bad feeling you had during your stay. I would like to answer to some of your complaints: garage € 40 is a normal price in Florence where is really impossible to park a car. Internet access we are searching for a provider more convenient for us in order to give this service totally complimentary to our guests even if € 10 for 24 hours is a competitive price. Breakfast I agree with you, In fact from first week of May our buffet will be enrich with large selection of croissants, breads, cakes and a corner with dietetic items.
I hope you'll be able to come back to Florence in the future and to give us the chance to change your bad feeling. I cannot ensure about the fog.........

Thanks and best regards

Giovanni Di Carmine
PALAZZO MAGNANI FERONI Firenze
gdc@florencepalace.it
Cheshire England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2008

We spent 3 nights in the Lucrezia Suite and enjoyed the whole event, especially as we got a 3 nights for the price of 2 offer for staying in February.
We had the bonus that the weather was perfect, 70F and dry.
There were plenty of people in Florence and there and a great buzz, so why, why, why do people still want to go in summer when its expensive, overcrowded and suffocating HOT!

This 500 year old + palace is more serviced apartments than hotel…. and if you visit Florence then what you cannot surely want is a 2008 plastic and chrome gin palace………or do you????

If you do then don’t bother to read on, visit Las Vegas :P

Florence is all about history and culture and the sophistication of times long gone …and that’s exactly what you get here…. its the real McCoy and not some pseudo interior designers idea of opulence and style

All the furniture was genuine antique, even the pots were Limoges…. the fittings however were genuine 2008 quality and the bed was a super king size with Egyptian cotton covers…we were glad breakfast was served up to 11am!

I’m not going to repeat the comments that many others have written about this sophisticated unique and very adult hotel even down to the Bulgari bathroom items….if its positive people have written then IMO its true!

There was absolutely no problem with TV reception. we chose our soap and it was there within hours, the staff were to a man totally efficient and discrete, they were there like a shot when you needed them, smiling and extremely well mannered and knowledgeable, they didn’t fawn over or “mither” you.

The breakfast items were of the highest standards, and all the juices freshly squeezed and again the service in the breakfast room was of a standard reminiscent of films you see of the Grand Tours of the 19th century, uniformed staff with white gloves and all that!

There are decent restaurants nearby, just turn right out of the hotel and keep walking!

Visit and enjoy how a sophisticated European grown up hotel functions!

• Liked — Sophisticated and cultured
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything even trivial!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MarionMontgomery
The Villages, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2008

On this 2nd trip to Florence after researching and seeing all the good reviews on tripadvisor, we decided to give the Palazzo Magnani a try. I don't like to be negative and I rarely if ever give a negative review because I really research hotels before we book but for us this turned out to be somewhat off.... I think we enjoyed more staying in a deluxe room in a hotel facing the Arno as on our 1st trip.

Pros
The location is convenient yet away from the hustle bustle of the really busy areas. Only a few minutes walk to Ponte Vecchio.
The staff was helpful in getting us transporation to the train station for the next leg of our trip.
The Palazzo itself is a very quiet environment....you rarely see any other guests.
The view from the top floor terrace is great and nice for an evening drink and a few minutes rest before setting out for evening dinnner etc.
There are also some very nice eating places close to the hotel.
The suites as well as the public areas are very spacious and very old world style. Some of the decorations were very interesting while others could seem just old depending on your appreciation for such things.

Cons
I booked and paid for 2 deluxe suites at the Magnani and I'm still not convinced they were both deluxe suites...although they were on the same floor and faced the same street they were very different in size. When I questioned them on this they said they were both deluxe suites and didn't offer anything other comments. I asked if they had any other rooms available to take a look at and they said no not that day but the next day they would and would call us. They never called us or said another word about it to us!
The other annoying things were the tv's in both suites did not work properly and were very erratic (not that we watched alot of tv by any means but we do like to keep up with some news etc.). Also they state that they give you a choice of soap and this was not the case for us (this certainly didn't spoil my trip but it was interesting that they never mentioned it).
The bathrooms we had were very small compared to those pictured on the website although they were nice.
Also I have seen several reviews that the breakfast was outstanding and for us it was okay but nothing special....we've been to many other places in Europe where the breakfast was much more memorable.
We found the staff to be very nice but a little on the standoffish side....I think they feel that it is classier to be discreet but a little more smiling would be just as good and just as classy.

It's hard for me to put my finger on it but we just didn't get a warm feeling from this place.
Having said all this I wouldn't say don't stay here by any means. It is a very nice place especially if you want total privacy. We always stay in very nice hotels and I think for us this was just a miss (you're bound to miss every now and then if you travel enough).
I know this all sounds contrary to what others have said but for us it was just a matter of comparing to other places we've stayed and just a matter of personal taste I guess!

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank jojo
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2008

If the price fits your budget . . . do not look any further. This hotel has captured all the service of a large chain hotel, all the comfort of a small bed and breakfast and all the size of a wonderful villa.

Although we had the "budget" room, it was the size of a 2 bedroom apartment, complete with full kitchen and living room. I kept imagining what it would be like to actually live there, as it was so comfy. We were only there for one night, and believe me, I wanted to stay longer!

The negatives . . . the bathroom did not have a tub, we had to carry our luggage up one flight of stairs, and there was a very odd odor that permeated the suite. Our suite also faced the street, so there was noise in the "living area" of the suite.

However, the palace is so delightful and different, that these negatives cannot overshadow the wonderful experience of this hotel. Beautiful public spaces, astounding breakfast area, museum quality paintings and artifacts throughout (including in the suite itself), and courteous, warm, pleasant staff.

We received an excellent recommendations for dinner and although we really did not have a chance to truly enjoy the hotel, the team made every effort to make us feel extremely welcomed. You can tell that this is a well managed hotel, where each team member has a personal investment in it's success. From the GM to each Service Agent, there was geniune pride and enjoyment in their carriage. It was my husband's birthday, and although I briefly mentioned it in a quick conversation, there was extra effort made to acknowledge it, that was not a put on.

I cannot stress enough how DIFFERENT this hotel is. After our stay, we went on to other "famous luxury 5 star accommodations" in other parts of Italy, and they paled by comparison. It was really not fair - like comparing apples to oranges - this hotel is that good.

Generally, I enjoy travel for the locations as well as the accommodations. I try to experience all kinds of places to rest my head, and am constantly on the search for the best spot. In Florence, I have tried some of the best , including the Westin Excelsior and the Grand, and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Although this hotel has a wonderful 360 degree view, I have seen better views from other hotel rooftops in Florence.

But . . . despite the competition, the view, and the negatives, I think I have found my future first choice when in Florence. It offers something unique, a perfect combination of charm, history, location, size and beauty and service to die for!!!! If it is in your budget, don't look any further!!!!

• Liked — The Suite and the Palace itself.
  • Disliked — No tub in the bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HopesandDreams
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2008

Although we booked using hotels.com, we relied on tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. Our three night stay at the palace was outstanding! For this portion of our trip, we were traveling by car. We called in anticipation of our arrival, and the staff kicked into action. We were given easy and accurate directions as well as telephone instructions, so the valet could have the garage door open for us. Annalisa greeted us at the front desk to check us in. Like all the staff, she was courteous and attentive without being overbearing. We stayed in the Matilda suite. All our service was superb making our stay in Firenza one of the highlights of our trip. We strongly recommend this establishment.

• Liked — Detail appointments throughout the establishment.
  • Disliked — Ala carte pricing for wireless internet access.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple