“Wonderful spot for our 'luna di miele'”

Hotel Villa Betania
Ranked #81 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed for 8 nights as the first part of our honeymoon in this lovely hotel - perfect for exploring Florence.

Great hotel just outside the immediate centre of Florence. We had a lovely large room with views of the gardens. Very spacious. All that you would want in a room. Enormous bed - very comfortable and clean. Plenty of storage space. Spacious bathroom. Good shower (a shelf in the shower would be useful).

Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful staff. We chose to have breakfast twice in the hotel - excellent choice and plenty to eat. Continental style breakfast. If all you want is a coffee and a croissant, it might be better value to have something elsewhere, but for a more leisurely breakfast the hotel offered a good selection.

The location was perfect for us - being outside of the city centre meant that it was blissfully quiet at night. It took us 15 minutes to walk straight down Poggio Imperiale and Via Romana to the Ponte Vecchio - slightly longer to walk back up the hill, but easily manageable. There is also a regular bus service and they have directions and timetables printed in the foyer.

We would definitely stay there again and recommend it without reservation if you enjoy the peace and quite of a villa-hotel. If you want exciting night life, it is a short walk away at the bottom of the hill, but if it is after 9.30pm at night you will need to walk or take a taxi back. Taxi's from the centre of town were less than 10E.

Overall - excellent - thank you for a lovely holiday.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Noonanian

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Great place to stay to escape hustle and bustle of Florence just 1 mile (1.5km) from the centre of town - an easy stroll there and back each day and on a bus route if feeling tired! Large, spacious, airy bedroom, with beautifully tiled bathroom. Property is a villa set in pretty grounds with good parking (cost), and easy to get to and from. Skipped breakfast and grabbed coffee and pastry at cafe across road. Wi-fi weak signal.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DavidFalk
manager-villabetania, Owner at Hotel Villa Betania, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for reviewing our Hotel. I also think that, though our Hotel is not right in the center of Florence, it might be an advantage if you want to avoid noise and crowd. In addition easy parking at our premises may also be an advantage, as we are just outside the city walls and the limited traffic zone of Florence.
Concerning the weak Wi-Fi signal in your room, we do have a couple of rooms with bad Wi-Fi coverage, and we will try to fix the problem during the scheduled Hotel maintenance in mid December this year.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

When you wish to find a reason why tourists do get unpleasant experience in Italian hotels , you can probably take this hotel as,unfortunately, a good example. It is a magnificent old villa ,located in a nice park assuring peace and good air, not too far from center and with convenient parking facilities ( a plus in Florence)
That's the first impression , a real good one
The person at the reception is efficient and quick and he quickly escort you to your room...
Forget to have big suitcases with you , there is no space for it , the room is minuscule maybe 3 x 2,5 mts , the bathroom has no window and is proportioned with the rest of the space
Having travelled to Paris often I am used to have small spaces, but here the whole thing is just misere
The bed has a matresss that will make you thinking ( as I did) if sleeping in the car would have not be
more confortable , I remains astonished how in a country famous for furniture, hotel owners are so outrageously irrespectful of their customer's sleep quality
Windows have all no shutters , and curtains are also transparent , so that you can be sure that the first light of the day will wake you up ( if you succeed to fall asleep on such crampy mattress )
Internet is charged
Breakfast is fair and politely served
Poor Italy with such missed chances ...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank enricoallievi

I am really sorry you did not like our Hotel. I am glad to hear from you that at the reception you were well welcomed and that you liked our breakfast.
I agree that parking is a plus for our Hotel.
Concerning your general disappointment, I suppose that the main problem was that you booked a multi-room huge apartment in another property that was overbooked, and you were relocated to us. If a client booked our Suite and I had to relocate him, I would never move him in a standard room of another Hotel, and this is what happened to you. I therefore apologize for how bad the other property handled your issue and maybe you address them directly concerning this matter.
Concerning the curtains and the light in the morning, all rooms in our Hotel have darkening curtains behind the "transparent" white curtains. I'm sorry you did not see them nor that you asked at the reception for help.
The mattress in your room is fairly new (has been replaced last year), but if there is a problem I will certainly take care of it. It is a mid-hard mattress (not too soft, not too hard).
Concerning the dimensions of your room, I agree that your room is the smallest room of our Hotel, but the dimension is of 4,2 x 3 meters. The room is not big, but not even small as many rooms in Florence (and Paris).
I hope I will be able to welcome you again in the future and see if my Hotel is able to satisfy your expectations.

Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is simply amazing and beautiful! People who work there are great and friendly, very helpful since you enter the door! Breakfast is high in quality and options! Rooms are very big and quiet! You are at a 20min walk from the historical center and out of the mass tourist places! I'd definitely go back there! 100% recommended!

3  Thank Daniel S

I am glad you liked our Hotel and I really hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for 3 nights during my honey moon trip. The hotel is well located if you are by car, but it charges parking, also the breakfast.

The room is not nice, and the cleaning is a shame, they didn't change the towels, especially the dirty ones that were left on the floor.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luciano B

I am really sorry that you had such a bad experience with us. You are right that if the towels are left on the floor they have to be changed! I think that cleaning is one of the most important issues concerning hotel rooms. As a matter a fact we normally get good reviews concerning the cleaning of the room. I therefore apologize and I hope I will avoid these mistakes in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Really nice large room. Nice quiet location. Villa atmosphere. Good breakfast. It's a good 30 minute walk into central Florence, and on the way back it is up hill, but most people would be glad to be out of the tourist chaos in central Florence, and there is a convenient bus if you don't fancy the walk. I felt this hotel was reasonable value for Florence, a place with plenty of fairly terrible hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heidegger
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We booked Villa Betania a bit randomly, mostly because, on top of having good reviews, it was easily accessible from the highway and we did not want to waste too much time trying to find our way in Florence (be warned: loads of one way roads!).
Well, we're very pleased we did.
Whilst being within a mere 20min walk of Ponte Vecchio, the villa's grounds offer both a beautiful setting and the quietness you will appreciate when getting back to your hotel room after a long day/night out.
We liked the fact that the room's interior design had some personality. Very elegant, not the usual run-of-the-mill hotel room. In case you need a reminder you are not in a hotel, but a villa, just look up at the high ceiling in your room.
Breakfast in the garden at the back was a very pleasant way to start the day.
We were able to leave our car in the villa's small car park after checking out (a definite plus) and picked it up at the end of our day in Florence.
The only negative point (though it's minor) is the fact that one has to pay extra to connect to the internet. Nowadays, many hotels offer Wi-Fi access for free and we have grown used to that being the norm.
However, we would definitely return to Villa Betania if we ever go back to Florence.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple