“A little America in the middle of Florence”
Review of Torre Guelfa Hotel

Torre Guelfa Hotel
Ranked #83 of 412 Hotels in Florence
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“A little America in the middle of Florence”
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Now sometimes that's a good thing, but it's surely not what I expected. Rick Steves tours books here, as do some other groups. English is the dominate (only?) language in the breakfast room. I agree with a previous comment that breakfast could be brought up a notch. The cappuccino and service were super, though.

Staff is wonderful. Really. No matter how many times I asked directions to the same place they held my hand and walked me through it again. The location is spectacular. The tower is nice, but not the only reason I'd book here.

The rooms I'll have to describe as variable. Some are quaint and good sized with full baths, while others are tiny with a shower many American backside will find confining or no walls at all which can be messy. Also, although there is a large common space, you are discouraged from eating or drinking there. Any bread and cheese dinners will be in your room.

If this is a first overseas adventure for you, pick this hotel. You'll be gently eased into the concept of foreign travel. If you travel a lot? It's going to feel a little weird, but the great location may overcome that. And the air conditioner works!

In general it was an average value for the price paid.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Fly_me_somewhere

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Turkish first
Alabama
Reviewed 12 August 2009

When we return to Florence we will definitely stay there again. The Hotel was an amazing experience. To spend the early evening having drinks atop the tower, overlooking Florence, was an excelent way to relax and wind down for dinner. Great location for getting around on foot. We cannot say enough about how helpful and freindly the staff and owners were. They went out of their way to make sure we had an exceptional trip. We also spent a couple of days at the Villa Rosa outside of Pansano in Tuscany. I will let you discover the relationship they have with the Torre Guelfa. The dinners there were remarkable and resembled some of the meals my Grandmother used to make. Excellent location to tour Tuscany by automobile. We made the mistake of not arranging a car rental but the staff helped us make the best of it. I would recommend renting a car but if you ask for a car and driver it could be arranged and I would ask for a driver with last name of Picci.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I lived in Firenze for 6 months prior to staying at this hotel. My mom and Nonna came to visit me while I lived in Firenze and we booked this hotel. Having had time to explore the city prior to their arrival, I was certain, for the price, this was the absolute BEST choice in the entire city! Most hotels advertise (falsly) that they are "in the heart of the city" in Firenze, although most of the time, that is UNTRUE. Not with Torre Guelfa. Torre Guelfa is in a prime location because it is a two minute walk from the Ponte Vecchio and Uffizzi Gallery, but it is on a side street (not a busy street) so it is not very loud at night. Also, If you follow the street of Ponte Vecchio all the way, it leads directly to the Duomo. From Torre Guelfa, the Duomo is only about a 10 minute walk (if that).

The intricate and ornate interior of this hotel give a peak into the history of this amazing city. With one of the only private towers left in Firenze, Torre Guelfa's rooftop wine bar was probably one of the best features of this hotel. You have an amazing view of the city, all while sipping the local Chianti. We had a triple room, and it was NOT like some of the other triples we had booked in Italia where it was just a double room with an extra bed! Our room was larger than the regular double rooms and had three large beds. WE had a regular shower. I felt completely comfortable and safe in this hotel. Also, from the large library/sitting area in the main floor of the hotel I was able to get free internet connection. The staff was EXTREMELY helpful and kind. The breakfast quarters were in a beautiful room with many windows. WE always had a great breakfast and the cappucino was amazing! I would DEFINITELY reccommend this hotel to anyone thinking of visiting Firenze. This area is ideal if you are travelling with children or with family and friends because it is one of the SAFEST areas of the city. Even though it is tempting to book a hotel close to the train station, Santa Maria Novella area is not safe after sunset. Torre Guelfa is probably the best hotel I stayed in, in the entire country of Italy.

Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank bambinaxo
ny
Reviewed 15 July 2009

I booked this hotel requesting a double room for use by a single person and expected to pay full price. But when I arrived I was put in what obviously was a single room dark and dreary with a large armoir that was falling apart and still charged for a double. The hotel is lovely, the location wonderful, and I made friends with 2 gentlemen at the front desk. Felt I had been given a "bait and switch" and they offered $150 back for my 4-day stay. (I had not requested this, so was pleasantly surprised.) The tower is glorious and I would go again but not mention I was a single when booking a room. I found the same problem at the hotel in Siena which was through a tour group. I spent each evening wandering the city or on the Ponto Vechhio. It was very safe.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank dottieNy
dallas
Reviewed 13 July 2009

This is a difficult review to write. The location of the hotel is wonderful. Very convenient, yet quiet at night. Our suite was huge...including the bathroom (although the shower was just in the middle of the floor with no surround, so the bathroom floor was slippery), and well air conditioned. The breakfast wasn't great...rolls (the bread in Tuscany is their great culinery let down), jam, fruit. Typical for Italy. The staff was competent, but not overly friendly. The bad...we had no hot water for showers on four different occasions over four days. When we called the front desk, they were usually able to get the hot water started. We only had two showers that were completely cold, but frankly we didn't want to have to call the front for hot water every time we showered. On the other hand, our time on the tower was magical. Although I am a "cram it in, don't stop" type of traveller, Florence has a downtime in the evening between everything closing and dinnertime starting. I didn't expect to use the tower, as we rarely are around to use hotel amenities, but we used it everyday. The time we had in the breeze at the end of the day, watching the day fade over the rooftops of the city was wonderful. And the staffer in charge of the roof was delightful. The slowed down time going back over our day provided some of the best moments of the trip. We skipped going to Piazzale Michelangelo, because we couldn't imagine that that view could compete with what we had at "home". So I guess it depends on your priorities....if we had hot water we'd give it a definate thumbs up.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank jenmol
Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I can't wait to get back to Firenze and stay at the Torre Guelfa. It is a true gem. Unbelievable central location. You can walk everywhere in the city from here. The staff is the greatest in this wonderful historic building. There is a rooftop happy hour with wine and beer where you will get some of the best pictures of your whole trip - guaranteed!!! I was traveling with my teenage daughter and we loved our room - plenty of space for 2 - great bathroom. You get a real feel for the city when you stay here.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank WayMoTravel
Seattle
Reviewed 3 December 2008

We stayed at this hotel as part of a tour group, and as with most things in life, it is dependent upon one's expectations. I would say this is probably closer to a 2.5 star hotel, rather than a 3 star hotel, and while we liked it just fine, we would not opt to stay here again on our own time.

Because I was traveling with my father, we were assigned a 3-bed, 2-room suite, #37, which was really nice. The rooms were clean and well-maintained, and the maids cleaned it daily. The shower is a good size, and one of the more well-behaved showers I have experienced in Italy, but the toilet seat is awkwardly large and I found it especially uncomfortable. We were never able to open our large windows, but since there was only a street and another building outside, we did not mind too much. The downside of being on the outside wall was we did pick up a lot of traffic noise, as well as the city's bells. Not enough to really be a problem, but someone who is sensitive to noise will probably want to request a room on the opposite side.

Breakfast is served in a bright and open terrace area on the top floor of the hotel, but not on the tower. It is self-service of pastries, yogurt, and fruit, as well as water and juice. On each table is an additional basket of pastries, and the servers will bring you coffee, tea, or cappucino. The desk staff is very helpful and friendly, and will hold your key for you when you go out, if you wish.

There is wi-fi available, and a computer where one can purchase 5 euros/hour of internet time. The cheapest internet points in Florence are near Santa Maria Novella, and on Via Faenza. The hotel itself is practically around the corner from the Ponte Vecchio, which puts it in the more pricy tourist zone, but Florence is so compact I found it well worthwhile to venture after the cheaper internet cafes.

Because I prefer smaller, homey B&B style hotels, I would probably not have picked this hotel on my own, nor would I stay there again. However, someone who wants to stay in an old tower building, in a safe, clean hotel with a helpful, English-speaking desk staff, could do a lot worse.

• Liked — Good location, great views from the tower
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable toilet, high prices
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank thornmist