“Every room is unique!”

Ranked #66 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Philadelphia
“Every room is unique!”
Reviewed 10 March 2007

I stayed at the Torre Guelfa in Oct 2006 on a Rick Steves Tour! While the hotel wasn't opulent or ritzy, it was fun because of how unique the hotel is! Every room is 100% entirely different in decor, layout, furniture, etc! I know this because people on my tour started going room to room just to check out what other people had. My room had extremely high cathedral ceilings & a HUGE window & really large armoire. My mom's room had a step-down from the front door area, wood flooring, and a canopy bed. My sisters room was so different! When you opened the door you'd have to go up an entire flight of stairs and then at the top was a small sitting area and a bedroom behind curtains! So cool! And, of course, the tower at the top is amazing for views. I'm attaching some of the pics I took from the top of it. When you stay at this hotel you really start to feel like "wow, I really am in Italy".... and since you can tell the hotel is so old, you really start to get a sense of history, especially when you go to the top of the tower. Now, be prepared, the accomodations aren't luxury - I'm a picky traveler so of course I wondered if they ever change the comforter on the bed, I know they didn't change the sheets every day, and the carpeting in my room as a little mildewy. But I don't regret staying here, it was just so unique & something that you can never really experience anywhere else!

Stayed October 2006
7 Thank starbuck212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
New Orleans
Reviewed 6 March 2007

We loved our stay at the Torre Guelfa. Everyone there was very helpful. Stayed in room 15 and the terrace was wonderful. We would take a bottle of wine up to the terrace each afternoon. The bell tower at sunset is the best place to be in all of Florence. Our friends had a junior suite and absolutely loved it. The bathroom was huge. The location can not be beat.

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank dsbretz
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 February 2007

We stayed 2 nights at the Torre Guelfa in Florence about a year ago. When the cab dropped us off, I thought we were at the wrong place. You go through some heavy metal gates and take the elevator to the reception room on the upper floors.

What a place!! A magnificent old stairway leads to the rooftop where you get the most amazing view of Florence from a bird's eye. In the afternoon you can go to the rooftop, have a glass of wine (hosted by the hotel) up and soak it all up. Florence is a busy, busy city--motorcycles, mopeds, traffic mixed in with all that amazing culture---and having a peaceful part of the city all to yourself made the experience one to remember.

Customer service was excellent, the rooms were clean, and we left feeling we had gotten our money's worth. If I get the opportunity to return to Florence, I'll be here--on the rooftop.

• Liked — The amazing views
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank pdxjeff1959
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 February 2007

We loved the apartment across the street. We had stayed several times at the torre guelfa and one year when we wanted to go with another couple the hotel was all booked. The apartment was highly recommended so we thought we'd take a chance. It was a little thinnly furnished but the rooms were huge and we just pretended like it was our own place. We moved the furniture around making it feel like our own home., bought a few vases of flowers and threw open the windows. Of course, we put everything back before we left. We had a ball in own home in Florence for 9 days and we even got a discount. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Susan

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Disliked — Picking up the food, souvenir carts at about 5:00 a.m.
  • Stayed July 2003, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan055
Baltimore
Reviewed 31 October 2006

From the moment you arrive at Torre Guelfa, you know that it's going to be a different experience -- you have to buzz up to the third-floor reception area to open an enormous iron gate (assuming that the ancient wooden doors to this palazzo are open, which is not always the case!). However, an unusually friendly and hospitable welcome awaits once you take the elevator up. The hotel has some wonderful public areas, including an enormous, beautifully decorated lounge and, yes, a medieval tower that offers a spectacular view over the city accompanied by a glass of wine in the evenings. Sunset on the tower is one of my best memories from this trip.
We stayed in a wonderful junior suite, which included a tiny ancient bathroom (used only to house the mini-bar these days), a completely modern new bathroom, gigantic windows (but with no view given the narrow streets of Florence), and an arch though a four-foot wall to connect the bedroom and living spaces.
The hotel also boasts an unbeatable location near the Ponte Vecchio. Breakfast was the one soft spot in an otherwise wonderful experience. The breakfast room is small and crowded, so sometimes you have to waite for a table. And the selection of food, while adequate, is limited to yogurt, rolls, croissants, and jams.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
8 Thank EmptyNesters007
california
Reviewed 12 October 2006

My mother, six month old daughter, and I recently stayed at this wonderful hotel. Stepping into the main door you feel as though you've been invited to stay in a friends private home. This is not a fancy grand hotel but what it lacks in initial aesthetics it makes up for in comfort, service, and location. We loved our room with canopy bed and huge bathroom. Each day began with breakfast delivered to our room and ended on the tower deck with overwhelmed views of the city and surrounding countryside. Our experience was perfect until the last night when my wallet was stolen off of me--a complete nightmare. But, in the midst of my turmoil I found comfort and rest at the Hotel Torre Guelfa. The staff made every accomodation, gave valuable suggestions, and extended the concern of a loved one. I look forward to returning to this gem of a hotel and highly recommend anyone to make it there home away from home in Florence.

• Liked — our room with canopy bed and huge bathroom
  • Disliked — doesn't look like a hotel from the street
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
4 Thank etripmama
Phildadelphia
Reviewed 23 September 2006

I should have heeded the negative review of the Hotel's apartment across the street. It had the charm and appeal of a public bathroom. There was no tv and was barely furnished. I hated every second we were there and had 2 awful nights of sleep. Opt to either stay directly at the hotel OR at another hotel altogether. Also, the guy at the front desk was jerky when he demanded I pay cash for the apartment. When I offerred to go to the Bancomat, he then told me to forget about it.

• Disliked — Staying there and not getting another hotel somewhere else. It was horrible.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay at the apartment