“Gilda, Ray, Pam, Bob, Sandie and Robbie”
Review of Porta Faenza

Porta Faenza
Ranked #68 of 411 Hotels in Florence
North Augusta, South Carolina
“Gilda, Ray, Pam, Bob, Sandie and Robbie”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel at the end of a three week trip to Europe. The hotel, the staff and the location could not have been better. We arrived via train from Venice and found that the hotel was about a 5-7 minute walk from the train station. The hotel is in a great location and well within walking distance of most of the major attractions in Florence. There are plenty of restaurants within a matter of minutes from the hotel entrance. All three rooms that we occupied were clean, and large. Great value for the money. If you want to splurge a bit, ask for the fruit/flowers and wine package. Well worth the extra money. Makes your arrival at the hotel and Florence even more memorable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ontario
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We loved the location of this property - five minutes to the train station and within walking distance of everything. The street itself was quaint with lots of shops, restaurants, and an Irish Pub! The hotel staff were warm and welcoming and the breakfast was among the best I've had in Europe. Although the room was spacious, it was a little dingy and the wifi was unreliable. But it provided everything we needed for the two nights we were there and we would have no problem staying there again or recommending.

1 Thank Elaine R
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Chose this hotel on it's location to both the station and the city which proved to be a good move.

On arrival the staff made everything so easy from checking in to details about Florence.
The room, 205, was large comfortable and very quiet on an evening, will confess that the bathroom was a little small but was all you actually require. There was plenty of choice at breakfast and the Gluten free options were plentiful.

It was only a 10 minute walk along via Faenza to the Piazza del Duomo past the markets of Mercato di San Lorenzo with plenty of dining options near by, would recomend a look at Enzo e Piero.

Hotel was great value, in a great location and will not hesitate to revisit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David G
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in June. Check-in process quick and easy. We had a room on the first floor at the back. Large room with high ceilings and large wooden windows. We loved the windows so much we never closed the curtains..... Tea and coffee making facilities, good size bath with plenty of toiletries and towels. Large double bed, so easy to sleep as tired from walking round this beautiful city all day. Nice touch having cold drink in reception to help yourself. Buffet breakfast with plenty of choice, fruit, cereal, meat, cheese, yoghurt, eggs, pastries, bread. 5 min walk to train station, easy walk to all the main sights. Free Wi-Fi, television in room. Would recommend and would stay here again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed on the 2nd floor. Room size was pretty impressive for Europe, particularly Florence.

Pros: The location was fantastic. Like previously mentioned proximity to the train station, the markets, various shopping, and restaurants was amazing. We walked everywhere, no need for other more expensive transportation options. Nice quiet area at night.

The room was nice and cold. Lots of space. Very clean, with fresh linens daily.

Breakfast selection was excellent.

The staff were very friendly and made some great recommendations for lunch and dinner.

Cons: The bathroom was tiny even compared to other ones we've had in Rome. The shower especially was difficult to maneuver in.

The drapes weren't exactly sheer but definitely allowed light in and we're picky about that. Pillows weren't the best, some type of memory foam maybe?

Top tip, for a vibrant night out, cross to the other side of Florence and spend the evening in the Piazza Santo Spirito. Great local hangout with some delicious food. If you wanna stay closer to home, eat at Le Fonticine and get the Florentine steak, have never had such an amazingly succulent piece of meat in my life.

Would definitely recommend the hotel to friends. We were two adult females.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Yaryna H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is well situated - an easy walk from the train station and into the centre of the city. The staff were friendly and our room was clean and spacious. Breakfast was very good. Great value for money.

1 Thank lb852014
Washington
Reviewed 6 July 2014

It is so funny that when I had been in Florence in college we had lived in a pensione on Via Faenza and now after 39 years I was back. Looked up this hotel on Trip Advisor as it was conveniently located. Once I was there I realized I had stayed down the street and knew the area well. The hotel is very close to Santa Maria Nouvella, the train station, and St. Lorenzo.

I was really pleased when I got there around 11 that my room was ready on a Saturday! I was on the third floor and did not see the elevator at first but there was one and it was conveniently located. So nice to check in and have a nice quiet, air conditioned room. I was able to drop of my bag and relax before I hit some of my old haunts.

My room was huge! There were three single beds/coaches and one king size bed. I walked around for a while and came back and rested before I hit the town again. Good bathroom too. Not only is there a shower, it also had a tub. The bathroom was very clean and well maintained. At first I could not get the lights in my room to work but found out that you had to leave your room key in the slot to keep the lights working.

The front desk staff was friendly and I was able to leave my small bag at the hotel so I did not have to lug it around on the tour I was taking. Despite the fact I had spent close to 6 months in Florence when I was in college it had been a long time since I had been there so I took a walking tour. Leaving my bag behind was very handy and as they were so close to the train station it made it easy to swing by and pick it up before I got my train back to Pietra Santa.

My one and only complaint about the hotel was the bed was rock hard and the pillows were very heavy. They were so hard they could have been solid concrete blocks. There was absolutely no way to get comfortable with them. I had to get up in the middle of the night and hunt around in the room for one that was acceptable. I found one that was half way passable but still not great. Not sure what it is about Italy but every where I traveled the beds were hard and the pillows were dreadful! The ones here were the worst.

There was a nice spread of food in the morning for breakfast. A great choice of pastries, juice, etc. Except for the pillows this is a great place to stay and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Only giving a poor on sleep quality due to the pillows. There was a wooden trunk in the room that h...