“Nice hotel, lovely location!”

Hotel Restaurant La Scaletta
Ranked #56 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I stayed at La Scaletta for five nights in May 2009. The location cannot be beat. The Ponte Vecchio was a block away, the beautiful Pitti Palace is your backyard. Florence is not a big city and it's easy to walk just about everywhere from this location.

My room was much bigger than I was expecting. As a solo traveler, I've stayed in some pretty cramped spaces. But this room was a regular double room with a big bed, desk and wardrobe. Another nice feature was room air conditioning that I could control myself.

The staff was okay. Sometimes I felt like I was annoying them by asking them questions. And be warned, they only change towels in the rooms every three days. I personally did not have a problem with this, but I supposed that some people might. There is a painfully slow computer in the lobby that guests can use for free to go online. Again, the computer operates at a snail's pace but it's free so you can't really complain.

The hotel has a lovely terrace with what they call an "American Bar." I actually went up there with a glass of wine and my dinner on a night the bar wasn't open and it was just lovely. The view of the Pitti Palace is breathtaking. You can also eat your breakfast on the terrace in the morning. I think they may be in the process of making the terrace a restaurant, which I think is a shame. I liked going up to the bar to get a drink at the end of the day, and making it into a restaurant will make the terrace less available to the hotel guests. And this terrace is one of the great selling points of this hotel.

Breakfast was just okay - mostly prepackaged sweets and cappuccino from a glorified vending machine. But they make you toast with fresh bread, which is nice.

Overall, this was a nice stay and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank euromerp
Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed 1 June 2009

Yes it is an inexpensive place to stay but not a good value. Not very clean, poor design due to it being an old palace that has been broken into small rooms. For example we had to step up to open our door, then step down to enter our room, then step up to enter the bath. I have two large bruises from running into a bathroom door knob and bed footboard. The bath was slightly larger than the 30 x 30 inch elevator. No place to put your soap or shampoo in the tiny shower. Every time we left the hotel, we had to give them our room key. Then they turned off the air conditioning from the front desk. They may do the same in winter since there were lots of blankets in the drawers. Great location and I felt safe. The view from the roof was spectacular but anyone can see it when visiting the bar and restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We recently stayed in this hotel & I have to say that we were more than disapointed - apart from it's location which is fantastic everything else is very poor & centainly not for people who may find it hard to get up & down the many narrow stairs - most of which are concrete! It is in a very old building which you'd imagine for Florence but looks nothing like the pictures on the internet - the rooms are very basic although clean & breakfast is a complete no no, you'd be better going out for breakfast in one of the many coffee bars - even the coffee which Italy is famous for comes from a vending machine which I have to say was rather disgusting - such a shame!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Consider a different hotel. Stayed here 5 days and though the terrace and location are very nice, there are issues. The terrace at night is a bar, it was open to the public while we were there. The security cannot support bar customers and protect the hotel customers. Access to the bar is access to the entire hotel, which has older simple keyed deadbolts. I would not like my daughter to stay here for example. The bar means at night when the views are great and the feet tired, you must buy a drink to see the view on the terrace. No smoke detectors. The Wifi is free but both my wife’s iphone , my iphone and my mac could not connect but randomly, and the speed was dreadfully slow. The staff was unfriendly in general. The elevator if it works, allows one to avoid the 90+ steps to the hotel entrance. The breakfast is a simple no frills continental, plenty of coffee and tea available.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2009

The location and value would be tough to beat. The service was very good and the breakfast and terrace delightful. The rooms and bathrooms are quite large but there is little ambiance and the walls are paper thin. From here, we walked everywhere in Firenze and Trattoria Bordino is a wonderfully delicious restaurant around the corner. There are stairs and a lift so it accommodates all guests. It was a little tough to locate initially but that's mostly because the streets have limited driving zones and many are one-way. Once discovered, it was a piece of cake to get in and out at all hours. They don't have parking but have three options for parking accommodations available. Would recommend to some friends, but not all...and with caveats.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2009

The hotel is very well located, one block away from ponte vechio and 5 minute walk to the Ufizzi Palace.
The staff was very friendly and helpful at all times. The hotel itself is quite cozy, the rooms are decorated with old furniture which I liked very much as it went along with the whole feeling of the city. It was also very clean.
The best thing though, and the reason I will always go back there if in Florence, was the terrace. It is truly an amazing terrace with wonderful views of the city. We only stayed in Florence for 2 days but we spent quite a while on the terrace (breakfast, dinner, siesta time after lunch) and we met people who were also enjoying the terrace so that we ended up making friends from different parts of the world.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in the course of 2 stints in Florence in April. The hotel is clean, the rooms comfortable, the staff very friendly and helpful, and the rooftop terraces really clinch the deal--they are truly a haven from busy, tourist-packed Florence. The location is just about a block from Ponte Vecchio so incredibly convenient for all the sightseeing in Florence, and yet it is so quiet. I spent hours on the terraces, enjoying the view of the Boboli gardens, the sound of birds singing, and the lovely weather...

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo