“Terrible choice”
Review of Hotel Ferretti

Hotel Ferretti
Ranked #279 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Where do I even start? I completely agree with the review of Isitmonsoon. Me and my boyfriend stayed in this place for almost a week and that was the worst part of our one month eurotrip. Don't get fooled by the picture, the room we were put in was actually just enough for the bed and had a sink that would not drain at all. I have never slept in such bad bed and even though the bed is supposed to be clean, the blanket looked disgusting. Every single day, I woke up around 5am by the noise on the street sometimes drunk people and sometimes city street cleaning trucks. The walls are so thin that you can actually clearly hear people in the next room. I found out that the closet wall which was a piece of thin plywood was the only thing separating the other room from ours. I didn't take the shower more than twice for the whole stay because of how gross the bathroom was. The worst part of the stay is the staff. Mainly there were two adult men at the front desk, Roberto and the other chubbier, short guy. Man I can't tell you which one is worse. The shorter guy is so creepy and would compliment me just because I am a girl. Once I was complaining to him about the internet which was useless at night and he was telling me that there are about 20 college kids staying in the hotel and they are using all these gadgets so it was not working. I told him that it had been like this since the first day and since it is a hotel they should expect a lot of people to use internet and its their problem and they should come up with a solution. They really didn't address that issue at all. In fact, talking to him was a pain because he would give unrelevant justifications to peripheral junk rather than directly addressing my question. I found that to be true for a lot of Italians during my trip but it was particularly bad for this hotel staffs. The same thing with Roberto who looks like he came straight up from some movie where the villain has this smile that still can't hide how dark his inside is. The short guy must have told him about my heated argument regarding the internet, on the day of our checkout, he was very rude to me for no reasons. I told him something like this "We are leaving to have a breakfast for about half an hour and will come back and leave for the airport, you guys are not going to clean the room now are you?" because I had seen the cleaning mop along with bucket of water left on the hallway in front of our room. He replied to me in very sarcastic and rude way with his characteristic evil look saying how can they clean the room while we are still inside. I gave him a very annoyed look and told him that who on earth would think they would clean while we are inside, I was asking after we leave for breakfast since I had already mentioned that. This is kind of the peripheral stuff that they dwindle on and reply to you that I was talking about. Overall, communicating with them was very annoying and always stressful and even though we didn't want to see them everyday, we had to since, we had to leave our keys at the front desk every time we went out. The middle aged lady presumably Roberto's wife was also not at all friendly. I have traveled to a lot of countries in Europe, South America, Asia and North America but this particular stay was the worst and was a rip off in terms of service to money ratio. Me and my boyfriend went there on a conference and we are about to finish our PhDs and I feel like the staff treated us like immature college kids (who seem to be their primary customers). The short guy giving me compliments saying "For you I will ......." when my boyfriend is right there. They made us feel like we couldn't afford a better hotel and thus were complaining for no reasons which was not true because the conference actually paid part of our hotel stay and it looked simple but yet not bad in the pictures. Looks like this hotel is doing business only because, in a city like Florence there are always going to be visitors who would go to this hotel for the first time else I don't know how anybody would return to such a place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Timothy H
hotelferretti, Proprietario at Hotel Ferretti, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear customer,
Reading your comment made ​​me a very sad man, but just reading all that you wrote because I'm not really as you say.
You stayed at our hotel for 9 nights and you never complained about the bed, the noise, the dirty bathroom and for your sink that did not work well, you know how long you would have had to ask for a room change? The only complaint daily which became a nightmare for us was that the internet was not working well, no one stopped you from to seat in our breakfast room on second floor even at 2 in the night where you could work in peace and where the internet signal is stronger, but maybe you thought only to my kindness or that of all our staff that you have changed for something else ....
I remind you that you wanted to book the cheapest room from my official website for budget problems (even part been paid by the organization of the congress). You are a very cold and boring person.
The room that you have booked is the same that you find in the pictures on our website neither more nor less, remember that you have booked a one star hotel.
We can not solve a problem on the Internet line when there was not a problem, I would have to say to all my other clients do not use this service because the "princess" he could not work.
However you do not know us in person so you can not make a judgment on me or the other members of my staff.
I wish you much happiness with your boyfriend, even sadder than you.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

The location is good, 10 min walking to the Train Station and nice restaurant. Good for travelers who is on a budget travelling.

It only provides basic accommodation. The building itself is kinda old. It was little bit noisy, keeping on hearing the trucks/cars midnight.

One more thing is they don't provide hot drinking water, not even vending machines/water for sale.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shushu_Mia
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This hotel is ideally located nice and close to the main train station as well as close to all the main monuments and there are plenty of delicious restaurants nearby. The hotel itself is basic but comfortable and very good for the budget traveller who doesnt want to share a room with 6 strangers. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and did the trick. The staff were also very welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Very good location. Very average. Slept well, hot shower, no bugs, low noise. If you are looking on a tourist map, it will look as though you take a main street from the SMN train station. You don't.. you take the smaller street that runs directly alongside the SMN church. After that it is easypeasy.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AmersinItaly
Reviewed 16 May 2013

For about twice the price of a hostel, I got a private room and private bathroom at Pensione Ferretti for two nights. I stayed in mid May, so keep that in mind for crowd and climate reasons.

That being said, I got two comfortable nights of sleep in a quiet room with a private bathroom. Wifi speed and quality was on-par with other places I have been in Tuscany. The decor and furniture are very dated, but that's okay. It was like staying at grandma's. Everything was clean, the shower was hot and powerful, and the desk staff were accommodating of the one request I made.

N.B. This is a one star hotel, as regulated by the Italian government (stars are related to available services, not luxury). That being said, reception was available for 24 hours (I can confirm 21 hours), my bed was made, and the bathroom cleaned during my stay.

Location (but not view) was spectacular, steps from SMN station and ~4 blocks from the Piazza del Duomo.

A great for budgeters like me not looking to hostel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kevin B
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed there twice and always stayed in the economic room with shared bathroom. Prices was always VERY interesting! A bit cold at night but enough blankets to make us feel warmer. Perfect location in the centre of Florence, with easy access to all the main monuments and to the train station Santa Maria Novella where we could take the bus going to Piazzale Michelangelo (where we had parked our car for free).
The shared bathroom is cleaned regularly so no problem on that side. The walls are a bit thin but it wasn't too much of a trouble.
Again; it is a lovely location and the prices are unbeatable, so definitely worth it. Basic but that was all we needed for 2 nights in Florence.
The young lady who welcomed us was very helpful and smily.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Location excellent, staff nice...Room, quaint, quiet and clean. Overall, great value for the $, I would stay here again. Breakfast was basic, sweet breads and coffee, but was always prepared on time. PS our trip was June 2011...I'm just a little late in completing my review.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family