“Gem of Firenze!”

Ranked #281 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Naples, Florida
“Gem of Firenze!”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Best location in Firenze! Who wouldn't want Fendi next door and Prada outside their window! Not only was location amazing, the breakfast was exceptional for a hotel breakfast! Will stay here again on our next trip!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Very nice hotel close to the sights of Florence (actually wedged between various designer stores). The hotel has a working elevator (so you don't have to carry your heavy bags up and down stairs after you have been shopping :-) ), and breakfast is included. The breakfast includes croissants, yogurt, cereal, pastry, cheese, meat, coffee, etc., and was all very good. The internet was free and worked well. The room I stayed in was very nice spread across two levels (bedroom upstairs; sitting room/desk and bathroom downstairs). Overall, I was very happy I stayed here and would stay there again. You are so centrally located...many restaurants are close by, there is an ATM across the street, and all the sites and shopping are all around you. Also, you can walk to the train station in about 10 minutes.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KLJdolphin
Arlington Texas
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We were advised to stay here by a local and we loved the location, but I'm sure our friend had not stayed there in years. Our room was OK but very dated and very noisy on the front of the building . Our room did not have enough plugs so we had to unplug the TV to have enough outlets for our phones to charge. I think the price of 145 euros per night was a little high for the room but maybe not for the location. We were able to walk to everything and enjoyed the high end window shopping. The staff was very nice and helpful and the little lady who works the breakfast was a real treat. She was so sweet and helpful. The breakfast wasn't outstanding but was adequate. It was nice to have free WIFI. We loved the antique elevator. A real beauty. I'd probably stay their again but would ask for a quieter room.

Room Tip: The rooms on the street side are loud.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I choose this hotel after reading and filtering through hours of TA reviews. I was not disappointed. The charming elevator worked just fine and I had a GREAT room on the top floor. And it was HUGE, including the bathroom. I did not find anything shabby or in bad condition in this hotel. The only critique is the wifi was a little hit & miss. Highest ceilings and great view over the street below. I was also on the same floor as the roof top terrace. Loved the location. Staff was polite, but seemed reserved. I had booked a few months in advance, prepaid over the hotels website. Good value and follow through with my requests, including reservations for the Uffizi and Accademia. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again when back in Florence.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank suitetravel
London
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I've just returned from a three night stay at the La Residenza, Florence. The hotel is located slap-bang in the middle of the up-market shopping area, with Prada located directly opposite. The hotel is accessed by an ancient elevator which we found to be out of order when we arrived. Once myself and my 72 yr old parents had carried our luggage up three flights of steps we were greeted by a receptionist who informed us that the lift did indeed work, and seemed to find the fact that we were out of breath hilarious!

The rooms are of a good size with a very comfortable bed, but only one slim pillow per person. The condition of the fiittings and decor was very poor. My room had filthy, marked walls and the walls were littered with light fittings that didn't do anything!

The bathroom was very small with just a squat-style bath with a shower. The shower curtain was far too small for the bath which resulted in the floor being flooded every time I used the shower. The tap in the sink was dripping, somebody may have responded to my complaint as I found the floor to be littered with bits of plastic but the drip remained!

The Air Conditioning has a master switch that only the hotel staff can access. It took constant badgering to get it turned on, and even then it remained off for the middle night, despite the high temperatures. Any attempt to get an explanation from the hotel stuff would be met by an incredulous shrug of the shoulders... Service is not this hotels strong point, although the staff we're pleasant enough.

Breakfast was fine. Hot Rolls and croissant, cappuccino, cheese, ham, pre-packaged sponge cake and yogurt was more than adequate to fuel a days sight seeing. If you like a slice of toast, forget about it, the museum piece toaster takes 10 minutes to perform it's task, and as it has no spring mechanism it means you will always end up with a burn offering unless you stand on guard for the full duration.

The hotel does boast a lovely roof garden. Perfect for sharing a bottle of wine whilst watching the sun disappear over the horizon.

In summary, this hotel has so much potential, but it's a long way from the perfect get-away. If however, you are looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful in a central location then this could well be the place for you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jimbo_akimbo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 August 2013

First let me say, it's tough for me to write this review. The staff at HLR are VERY VERY nice people and certainly very helpful. And the location is superb and the breakfast I thought was good too. However, the condition of the hotel is definitely not the same as the pics on the internet. The place probably hasn't been painted in at least 30 years. My room in particular was probably last remodeled in the late 60's/early 70's. There is a LOT of tracked in dirt in common area rugs. The WiFi only worked in the common area and not the very top floor (which is where I stayed).

In addition, if I was traveling with children and/or females, I wouldn't stay here. As I said, I stayed on the top floor. If you stay on this floor you have to lug your bags up a VERY narrow flight of stairs (appx 32" wide - see pic). I was fine with that but could see that being a problem for those who are unable to do so.

Lastly, if you are staying on the top floor - BEWARE! There is only one way in and out - the narrow stairwell. IF there is ever a fire (God forbid) on this floor or nearby, the potential for someone being hurt or killed is high. Especially, if this were to occur at nite. I work for a VERY large US fire department and know where I speak. There is a terrace on the top floor but the only way down would be if the terrace was laddered with a 100' aerial main by the Florence FD. A LOT could happen between a fire starting and them laddering the building let alone doing rescues.

As I said, the location is great and they're nice people. But I'd consider elsewhere especially if you have kids.

Room Tip: DONT stay on the top floor!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Seosamh126
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed two nights, It was very hot outside day and night and the room was cool from the quiet aircon and it had a fridge (no kettle). This was the lowest price room we had on out Italy tour and it was probably the largest room with a nice big bed and arm chairs, unfortunately the bathroom was probably the smallest one we have had and the shower was tiny. The central old fashioned elevator is cute but they tell you it is out of order during the day meaning we needed to walk up the 123 steps to our 4th (top) floor room, on the last day we used the elevator despite the "out of order sign" and it worked fine (we saw them using it for luggage guests). The included continental breakfast was fine and we drank our proseco on the rooftop garden in the evening enjoying the view over the florence rooftops.
In general the Hotel is old an tired but it is a great price and its location is in between Prada, Armani shops on the main "pedestrian" road in florence easy walking distance to most of the tourist sights.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple