“In the Heart of Florence”
Review of Hotel Alessandra

Hotel Alessandra
Ranked #37 of 420 Hotels in Florence
Boise, Idaho
“In the Heart of Florence”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel Alessandra is a good value in the heart of Florence. It is within walking distance of the major attractions of Florence, as well as many good restaurants. The hotel staff is friendly and accomodating. The room was very nice, clean and well kept. Breakfast was quite good. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 4-day stay and we would stay there again, if we went back to Florence.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
AndreaGennarini, Owner at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
No one can possibly ever get tired of Florence, so start planning that trip back! It was fabulous to have you stay with us and we so much appreciate the words that you have written here - useful for us to get feedback and useful for future travellers to Florence too. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

What a lovely hotel in a great location. Can walk from the station but chose to take taxi. Good sized rooms, clean with excellent en suite facilities. All the staff were friendly but especially Monti who was extremely charming and very helpful. Lovely breakfast with plenty of choice. The smiley face on my cappuccino each morning was a lovely touch. Located on a small one way street and is within easy access to all the main venues. The occasional noise from the street from party revellers (you are in a vibrant city) but I always take ear plugs so no problem. The small patio is lovely and quiet to mull over what to put on the next day's itinerary. We had no problem with the walk up to the lift and didn't use the lift every time as used as a form of exercise after the wonderful meals we'd had. Good Wi-Fi . The best place we stayed in during our Italian travels so a big thank you to everyone for making our stay so special so we'll be back as still so much more to see and that's a promise.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
And we look foward so much to you keeping that promise! This was a great read - we hope other future guests find it useful. Thank you so much!
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 27 May 2014

For my first ever trip to Florence, I chose Hotel Alessandra and in doing so I traded amenities for location and price. I stayed there for the first 4 nights of my Europe trip. I am a solo traveler who tries to travel light and comes prepared. So here was my experience.

After a long flight to Frankfurt, then another flight on to Florence, I took a taxi to the hotel (Euro 22). The hotel is in a building that is probably 400 years old that is located on a small and narrow cobblestone street (that can handle only 1 car at a time), that is in a terrific location about one block up from the river Arno and within easy walking distance to the Ponte Vecchio and other nearby attractions.

Immediately upon entering you must climb about 20 steps to make it to the world's tiniest elevator which was just barely big enough to accommodate me and my one suitcase which is 16" wide and about 24" tall. The elevator takes you the next 2 floors up to the actual entrance to the hotel.

I was greeted by Monti - who was one of the most hospitable and helpful dsfhotel employees I have ever met. Check in was completed quickly and I went to my room. The room is what I would consider to be European standard single room (see pictures attached) with decent bed, good closet space and adequate bathroom. There was a curtain around the bathtub which allowed me to use it as a shower. Water pressure was good and I only had a problem with hot water on one morning. The room was clean and made up each day by the staff.

The room had one large window that when opened allowed me to view the side of the building next door (about 10 feet away) and down to a small alley that ran into the main cobblestone street at the front of the building (see picture).

Breakfast was a fairly standard European breakfast with cereal, cold cuts, cheese, breads and rolls, and coffee tea and milk. I did find it unusual that there was no yogurt. Designer coffees were available upon request.

The location is terrific. I was about a block from the River Arno and about 5 minutes from the Ponte Vecchio. The city hall and therefore the Uffizi and the Republic plaza were about 10 minutes away. And there were many shops and restaurants all within easy walking distance.

The biggest problem I had was the noise. Unfortunately I arrived on a holiday - April 30th. On the night before May 1st there is apparently a huge citywide celebration - which I can attest lasted until about 4am. There was considerable partying and singing (and drinking) in the street and sadly the sound carried quite well into my room. I suspect that because of the age of the building, there is virtually no insulation for sound and the windows were all single paned. Adding to the problem - I believe - was that the narrow street was solidly lined on both sides by tall stone buildings which created sort of a canyon effect - which in turn definitely transmitted the sound up the walls of the buildings and certainly into the alley way that was between the buildings and into my room even with the window shut as tightly as possible. I was able to hear distinct voices and if I had understood Italian I am sure I could have followed their conversation. They were definitely having a very good time.

Overall the staff were among the most hospitable and helpful I have encountered anywhere. However I was seriously disturbed by the sounds from the street on two nights. Not the hotel's fault - I agree, but nevertheless I feel it should be mentioned.

Also - think carefully if you are traveling in a group with lots of luggage - especially if your luggage is significantly larger than mine. If it will not fit into the elevator, there are about 70 steps you will have to navigate in total to arrive at the reception area.

I rated my experience at this hotel as being Average. I would recommend this hotel if you are comfortable making the trade-offs I have described in this review.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Silicon_Valley_Guy1
Phew! Let's see where to start.

Thank you for an extremely detailed and very accurate (we think review!). We very much appreciate people who take the time to give us their thoughts in such great detail. Indeed, whilst we are not sure we can claim the prize for the world's tinniest list, we think we might be in the top 10 (and the other 9 are probably all in Florence!!). Getting a permit to place a modern piece of engineering in a 500 year old staircase is not easy, you will find most old buildings in Florence do not have a lift - we are lucky even thought it's a terrible squeeze. We talk about our lift and stairs ev everywhere; here, on facebook, on G+ - everywhere! We hope that no one ever comes to stay with us without knowing what a terrific work out is included in the price! And we find that 99% of the time they do - so our stategy is working.

Next - April the 30th is madness. It's called Notte Bianca (which literally means white night, but also means "sleepless" night). Each year about 200,000 people come to the street event, with free music, light installations, free museums, food, drink, icecreams, yoga classes, living sculptures and a million other things to do. It's a totally fabulous and one off event. If you are in town, there is NO getting away from this one. Better to give up and join in! We are sorry if you didn't know about this beforehand (had you been following our facebook page your would!) Also, we are happy in the knowledge that our hotel is in a very small side street and that the quietness despite being in the centre of town is mostly unexpected - and there are lots of reviews here that say just that.

We are so so sorry it didn't work for you, but we will hope you will agree most of what didn't work was perhaps out of our hands?
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I stay here each time I am in Firenze which unfortunately isn't often.

The staff are super welcoming and friendly. Monti remembers me and makes me feel like an old friend.

They have in recent times expanded and added a small terrace over looking the Arno river. It catches the afternoon sun nicely.

Rooms are more than adequate and the wifi is fast and works well.

There are also some great restaurants nearby and the central sites of Firenze are 2 steps away.

Recommended.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter G
The title to your review is music to our ears! Just what we want everyone to feel - right at home! See you next time!
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Great location on a quiet street just a few minutes walk to Ponte Vecchio and the Arno river as well as the Uffize museum. A 12 euro ride from the train station or 22 euros to the airport. Monti was the super friendly and enthusiastic clerk who welcomed us, love the guy! Room was good size, clean and comfortable. The breakfast included a great selection. Ten minutes of free talk time is provided to many countries. Wifi worked well. Be sure to try the very reasonable restaurant which is practically next door and has very good food. I would definitely stay here again. Be sure to ask about the nice little patio just off the breakfast room. Almost none uses this and it is a wonderful place to have coffee and has an interesting view of an old bell tower.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Ha! So you found our terrace! Well done - but if you write about it here everyone will know. Sssshhhh!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write - we really enjoyed reading this.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location. It is a little off the main street and we enjoyed it greatly. We took a taxi from the train station and arrived at the hotel without a problem (about 12 euro). There are a few stairs to reach the elevator, but that was not a problem for us. The elevator is tiny but we were grateful to have the lift after our long walks each day sightseeing.
The hotel staff is excellent, friendly and professional. They went out of their way to make us comfortable and we can't say enough about this beautiful hotel.
Breakfast is served every morning and was the best we had while in Italy. Our room was very large with a nice view. The bed was comfortable and there were even extra pillows and blankets in the wardrobe. The bathroom was nice too. Very clean and we enjoyed our stay. We would recommend this hotel and if we return, would stay there again.
There is also a new terrace that you can sit and relax to read or visit while sipping some delicious Italian wine.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank McGillicuti
Our terrace is our new addition this summer. Not easy to find! Some narrow corridors with a couple of sharp turns, some steep steeps and your find yourself way up onto of the world looking down on the red roof tops, the bell tower just in front of you and even a slice of the Arno to gaze upon. We agree - the perfect place for a relaxing glass of wine after a hard day's sightseeing.

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Tucked away in a quiet street away from the crowds but located in the centre of town, this hotel has it all.. From the moment you walk in the door you know you are in for a treat. The staff at the desk greet you with a big smile and are so friendy, you already know you wont want to leave. Must have been our lucky day as we were given an upgrade and our "suite" was simply stunning, as our bedroom window was looking straight at an amazing church bell tower not more then five metres from our window. The rooms are huge and exceptionally clean and charming. The breakfast is fantastic and the staff couldnt do enough to help you. Also the WiFi service was very good and the hotel also provided guests free land line phone calls to many countries. (Australia was one) We will definitely be returning for another stay, thank you all the staff at Hotel Alessandra for a great stay ...... Andrea you were right we didnt want to leave!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
And that is the very best compliment of all! People who are definitely not looking forward to going home, and want just one more ice cream, one more stroll around our old old streets, one more plate of real Italian pasta! Thank you and we are looking forward to that next visit.