“A Wonderful Start to our Vacation”
Review of Hotel Alessandra

Hotel Alessandra
Ranked #39 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Chicago, Illinois
“A Wonderful Start to our Vacation”
Reviewed 26 January 2009

We felt so at home at the Hotel Alessandra in Firenze. It was the first stop on our 10 day visit to Italy. Our room was comfortable and the location of the hotel was so convenient to all that we wanted to do and see. When we opened the shutters we were immersed in the sights and the sounds and the aromas of Firenze! The hotel manager, Andrea, had booked a dinner reservation for our first evening there and also had reserved tickets in advance at the Uffizi and the Accademia saving us from standing in very long lines! Andrea's wife Anna and any other front desk staff were always helpful with directions and calling us a cab when we were checking out. We were surprised by breakfast being included and it was always delicious and sustained us for our sightseeing. We also ordered wine several times in our room which was very good quality and inexpensive. The only drawback was the stairs to the elevator which we hadn't expected, but we probably packed too much anyway, and that was only an issue on checking in and checking out. We would love to go back and have a room with a view of the Arno.

• Liked — Location and comfort
  • Disliked — Stairs
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Philadelphia
Reviewed 25 January 2009

The Hotel Alessandra was everything I needed-- and more-- for a wonderful stay in Florence. While I booked a single for my November trip, I was given a double room (at no extra charge) that was snug, cozy, very clean, and a great place to start and end the day. I had a view of the street below, but sound control was excellent and I could hear only distantly a car passing by or the occasional horse-drawn carriage. The quiet of the street was especially surprising given the location: one block from the Arno and about two from the Uffizi. The staff was welcoming, friendly, and helpful. Andrea Gennarini, son of the owner, Signora Gennarini, gladly booked my advance reservations at the Uffizi and Accademia (via email), and offered advice on a side trip to Siena. Monti, who has been with the hotel for more than 20 years, suggested other sights as well. The common areas are pleasant and well equipped, and the breakfast lovely. I was sorry to say goodbye, and would highly recommend the Hotel Alessandra. There's no question but that I would stay there on my return to the city!

• Liked — Location, friendliness of staff, comfort.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
Darwin.
Reviewed 22 January 2009

The hotel took us a minute or two to find but once we did we were 'home'. It is a fairly short walk from the railway station and in a superb location, convenient to everything.
The lift is compact but does the job efficiently and adds to the overall Florence experience.
The room was spacious, well appointed, quiet and overloaded with character and charm - our only regret was that we'd opted for the shared bathroom when booking, but that was fine too (esp. as the room had a basin alcove).
The staff were very friendly and helpful, recommending excellent eateries in the vicinity and assisting in every way possible.
We were delighted with our choice and would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — location, charm, character, friendly service
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hotel-Alessandra, Manager/ownership at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, 12 March 2009
Grazie, Grazie. I'm impressed. It's always a great pleasure to read these posts where you can feel that our efforts are noticed and help to make our guests happy!! warm regards
Andrea
Germany
Reviewed 20 January 2009

Spending the days around New Year's Eve in Florence was an unforgettable experience. As Hotel Alessandra is directly located in the heart of the city and closed by the Ponte Vecchio and the cultural centre of Florence, it has its very own charme & offers a very romantic atmosphere.
The personnel is extremly friendly and helpful at any time of the day/night. Besides that the rooms are clean and unbelievably spacious, they create an enchanting atmosphere as the ceiling is meters high. When opening your huge windows, you haven an amazing view of Florence' Old Town. All rooms are preserved with classical interior & give you a taste of Florence' heritage.
All in all to be recommended.

Stayed December 2008
Thanks for your favorable notes, I'm happy you had good time with us, we are all working hard to give you the best service, we enjoy doing this and you feel it!!
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We booked this hotel based on the awesome reviews it received, and continues to receive, on this website. Unfortunately, as much as I wish I could echo the sentiments of these other travelers, I could not. Maybe we came on an off day; maybe we're just used to a different level of hotel (we were not aware until arriving that it was a pensione), but for whatever the reason, we were completely unsatisfied, and had to leave that very day for another hotel. Let me begin by saying the plus sides- the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful- so much so in fact, that it almost persuaded us to stay anyway. The location was also excellent; very close to the Ufizzi and the Piazza della Signora. The room however, was one of the filthiest I've ever seen, which is so surprising b/c most reviewers praised the hotel's cleanliness! There was red sauce of some kind caked in the holes of our phone receiver, there were dead flies in the bathroom, and a smushed bug on the wall above the bed! The straw that broke the camel's back was the toilet, which had stains in it that disappeared when I flushed (maybe it's just old plumbing?? I didn't know, and I didn't want to know). All I can say is if you put cleanliness in high regard when choosing a hotel, this place is not for you.

• Liked — Location, very friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Rooms were not clean.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank preciosa919
Hotel-Alessandra, Manager/ownership at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, 20 January 2009
Dear TripAdvisor Member
My sincere apologies for reading that you have find your experience with us to be disappointing except the staff and the location. Staff is focussed to overcome guests expectations and do their best to make each stay the most comfortable possible. Any suggestion from our clients is always more than welcome since is used as important data to improve our hotel/services.

We are sorry you did not report your complaint about the room at the front desk directly after your check-in, I’m sure if you had notified the desk these problems we would have been prompt to find a solution or you could have be given another room and you could have stayed for the whole number of nights reserved. We always want our guests to be happy with us and cleanliness at the hotel is an important characteristic that me and my mother keep in great consideration as you can read in many other reviews

Again my sincere apologies.
Yours Sincerely

India
Reviewed 13 January 2009

We are based in Bangalore, India. My wife , my son who is 21 and I decided to visit Florence on a holiday. This was to be a gift to our son who will be graduating from college soon. We booked for our stay at Hotel Alessandra based on the reviews we had seen in Trip Advisor. The reality exceeded our expectations. We were welcomed with great warmth by Andrea and his mother, Signora Gennarini. Monti, with his ever cheerful help completed the experience for us.

The hotel is very conveniently located , close to Ponte Vecchio. The breakfast spread was sumptuous . Andrea and Monti were ever ready with their advice on how best to do the things that we wished to do. All in a all, a wonderful introduction to Italy for our son.

Thank you, Signora Gennarini, Andrea and Monti for making this a memorable holiday for us. We highly recommend a stay at the Hotel Alessandra when you plan to visit Florence.

We will be happy to share our experiences with others who wish to know more about this welcoming place which is so much more than a hotel.

M Chandrasekaran.

• Liked — The location and warmth of the people running the place
  • Disliked — The first 30 steps that you had to climb before reaching the lift
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 9 January 2009

I found the Hotel Alessandra on the internet. I booked as I was running in the Florence Marathon. The hotel is ideally located in the centre and is close to everything including the marathon start and finish. The hotel itself is very nice and the staff are extremely helpful. I needed to get up at 5am in the morning for the start and the staff kindly served breakfast early to accommodate.

I did an extensive search on the internet and wanted a place that was of a high standard while at the same time competiively priced. Hotel Alessandra met my expectation on both fronts. Next time I'm in Florence either for the marathon or sightseeing I will definitely stay at Hotel Alessandra again!!

• Liked — Great location, great staff!!
  • Disliked — no issues noted
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank damianshirley1500
Thank you for your kind review on the hotel. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Alessandra and look forward to host you again with us. Kind Regards