“Hotel Alessandra is our favorite European hotel”
Review of Hotel Alessandra

Hotel Alessandra
Ranked #39 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Boise, Idaho
“Hotel Alessandra is our favorite European hotel”
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Hotel Alessandra is located on a quiet street in the heart of Florence. It is wonderful to get a silent night within site of the center of the tourist area. Many of the buildings on the street are from the medieval/Renaissance eras, with the oldest chuch in Florence (1000 A.D.) less than 20 yards away. The service was wonderful. Each person truly cared about our stay. Our room was huge and clean. In fact, it was by far the largest room we've ever had in Europe. My daughter and her husband had a room up a floor from ours that wasn't quite as large but still more than sufficient (and with a better view). There was a common room where we played cards and checked our flights on the computer. I'd go read there in the morning before my husband awoke. The Ponte Vecchio was 2 minutes away, and the Duomo was a 6 minute walk. I can't say enough good about this hotel and their wonderful staff.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Graz
Reviewed 9 April 2009

When my son got ill shortly before our planned trip to Florence, the staff at Hotel Alessandra could not have been more helpful and accommodating. Not only did they change my reservation to a shorter stay and a different room without any fuss, they also didn't charge me for the night I had to cancel on very short notice. I found the atmosphere and service at Hotel Alessandra extremely welcoming, personal and friendly, the room was tidy and the location just marvellous.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Southern England
Reviewed 9 April 2009

To find a central hotel in Florence which provides the only sounds of a fountain playing and a blackbird singing as one wakes is truly remarkable & yet the Hotel Alessandra did just that for us! Admittedly ,it was a bit of a challenge to man-handle the luggage up the stairs on arrival, but, once we had connected with Reception, the struggle was over! Our room was spacious, the bathroom clean & the storage commodious. I appreciated the clean white sheets, although the mattresses were a wee bit hard. Breakfast provided a good range of choices: from espresso & cornetto all the way to All Bran and Earl Grey tea-very imaginative. I loved the \'samovar\'. Andrea & Monti were amazingly patient & good humoured on reception. All problems were resolved quickly and efficiently. Would that we had such service in England! All that, & the delight of staying in a Palazzo, too, with wonderful roofscape views which were equally appealing by day or night. Thank you so much!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
aurora,il
Reviewed 7 April 2009

Our 3 night stay at the HOTEL ALLESANDRA IN FLORENCE was comfortable and convenient..L ocated JUST 1 BLOCK FROM THE PONTE VECCHIO AND 2 BLOCKS FROM THE UFFIZI GALLERY it afforded easy access to FLORENCE'S great historic treasures.Our hostess ,ANDREA, and her staff were friendly and informative. . The complementary continental breakfast[WITH CAPPUCINO] set the tone for a full day of sightseeing and enjoyment in FLORENCE.Andrea's dinner suggestions found us delicious and affordable meals to top off our days Our rooms were spacious and comfortable and gave us a lovely view of the river ARNO. Immediately out our bedroom window was the bell tower of the CHURCH OR THE HOLY APOSTLES , the oldest church in FLORENCE. Fortunately for our sleeping habits the bell's did not ring the Angelus at 0600! [0900-2100] Thanks be to all who made our stay so much fun.

1 Thank Saintspreserveus
Iowa
Reviewed 4 April 2009

My family stayed at Hotel Alessandra in March. The hotel is on a side street very close to Pointe Vecchio and other popular sights. We were impressed with the very large size of the rooms - much larger than any of the other hotels we had stayed at. The front desk staff spoke english and were extremely friendly and helpful in meeting our needs. If I were to return to Florence, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 April 2009

We could not have picked a better location nor room. The staff was great, friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good and rooms large and clean. Would stay there again if we ever get back to Florence. The 25 steps up to the elevator weren't a problem for even "us old ladies"

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
nyc
Reviewed 3 April 2009

After reading many of the reviews on Trip Advisor I had great expectations of the Hotel Alessandra. In life however, rarely does the reality live up to the fantasy. This was one exception.

My first thought as the taxi pulled to the doorway and glimpsing the two stars on the placard was "uh oh". Experience tells me that two stars in Italy is not usually very good. Do not let this deter you. Upon opening the front door and expecting to be greeted by a lobby I was instead greeted by two flights of stairs and a view of what looked like private residences. Do not let this deter you! Upon climbing the flights with our typical oversided American suitcases, I was then greeted by perhaps the world's smallest elevator. DO NOT LET THIS DETER YOU!!! Our suitcases did in fact fit although we needed two trips to get up to the actual lobby and front desk.

Finally we made it to the front desk and were greeted by Monte. All the positive reviews I read about him were spot on. He was jovial, enthusiastic and he made us feel as though they were genuinely happy to have us. This was a welcome change from other hotels we've stayed at where they could barely muster up a "Buona Sera". Monte quickly gathered our things and since our room was not yet ready (we arrived early) he showed us to a rather nice lounge area.

The Hotel Alessandra is also a pensione with shared bathrooms (hence the two star rating) but they do have rooms with private baths. We booked one of these rooms with the view of the Arno. When we entered the room, any reservations I may have been feeling from my journey up the stairs and small elevator were quickly eased. The bathroom was large and spacious by even American standards and the room was comparable to some 4 star hotels. The view of the Arno was also incredibly nice...amazing since the hotel is situated one block off of the river bank (see picture).

The location of the hotel can't be beat. You're literally several minutes walk from all of the action in every direction. Florence is not particularly large but it was still nice to be able to quickly dash back to the room for supplies or to freshen up in between touring. The rooms are extremely clean and as I mentioned, Monte (and the rest of the staff for that matter) are an absolute joy. Included in our stay was a free breakfast and some of the tastiest cappuccini that we've had in all of Italy.

I can't recommend this hotel enough. The quality to price ratio simply can't be beat. I will absolutely stay here again upon my next visit to Florence.

4 Thank pepino