“Great Host”

Ranked #38 of 411 Hotels in Florence
San Francisco
“Great Host”
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Although we have yet to stay here due to a list minute change of plan, I felt compelled to write a review because of the positive experience I had corresponding with the staff. Not only was Andrea willing to waive any cancellation fees, he was sympathetic and understanding of our situation. That was not the situation with other hotels we had to deal with. We will definitely be staying here when we rebook in the fall.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skier4life

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
london
Reviewed 9 June 2009

We have been to this hotel many times over the years, and the efficiency, professionalism and warmth of the owners, the Gennarini family, and their staff get better each time we visit.

The hotel is in a palazzo built in the early 16th century, retaining the feel of its historical past, whilst offering all modern amenities we expect for our stay today. The rooms are of a good size, well appointed with modern bathroom with shower and bidet. The room remained spotless throughout our week's stay through daily service cleaning.

Breakfast is good, offering cereals, boiled eggs, toast, cheese, sliced prepared meat, fruit, yogurt, jams, fruit juice and tea and coffee. Espresso and cappuccino, including decaffeinated, is on offer also.

The hotel is situated on the second floor of the palazzo with a lift from the first floor. A gentle pietra serena stairway takes you from the ground floor to the lift.

The hotel is ideally situated near the Ponte Vecchio, making it in easy reach of all the major attractions of this wonderful Renaissance city. Just around the corner is a truly fine little restaurant, Trattoria Nella in Via delle Terme 19. Their soups alone are to die for! Booking is recommended as its secret is out.

In summary, this is the hotel my wife and I hope to continue to return to for years to come. It has become something of a home from home for us. Try it! You should not be disappointed.

Patrick, London

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank hagglup
California, USA
Reviewed 9 June 2009

We loved our stay at Hotel Alessandra! The location can't be beat. The hotel is within a short walking distance to all the major attractions. It is about a 5 minute walk to Ponte Vecchio and Uffizi Gallery. The staff is great! Andrea booked our museum reservations ahead of time and replied quickly each time I had a question via e-mail. Monty greeted us at arrival. He is sweet, funny and made us feel very comfortable right away. He also recommended some great restaurants. Our room was nice, a good size compared to other hotels we've stayed at in Europe. It was facing the street but we were surprised at how quiet it was. Breakfast was OK, they had the typical breads and cheeses although the capuccino more than made up for it! I really can't say anything bad about this hotel. We had a wonderful time in Florence and hope to be back someday at Hotel Alessandra. The nice thing about small hotels is the personal service you get.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JCGT
Georgia
Reviewed 8 June 2009

hotel alessandra is the best hotel experience of our 14 day trip to italy. Hotel is beautiful! Location good. Veiws wonderful!
I was particularly impressed with the staff at Alessandra - they are all excellent, helpful, friendly....I really can't say enough about them. I managed to twist my ankle while in Florence and they bent over backwards taking care of me (I decided not to tell them I was a doctor ;) so I got lots and lots of very helpful (and correct) advice. The only negative is the very long climb to the hotel entrance - however, we discovered in Italy this is the norm rather than the exception.
We arrived early in Florence and they made sure our room was ready before check-in. We were going to be leaving later than check-out so they kept our bags until we were ready for them. Added this just as another example of their incredible service.
Room was beautiful - my husband took pics of the bathroom - WOW! All marble! and HUGE!
Highly, highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgiaTravelingirl
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 June 2009

This hotel was in a great location, had a clean room with a nice bathroom, and had a nice breakfast selection. The hotel has excellent and helpful staff. . . Andrea at the front desk was wonderful in recommending places to eat and any other thing we needed. I plan on going back to Florence and would stay at Hotel Alessandra in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed 7 June 2009

The hotel was ok - best feature is the location and hotel staff. There are a lot of stairs to reach the hotel desk but I could use the exercise anyway. Hotel is about 10-20minute walk from train station and all sights can be easily reached from the hotel. The breakfast was not that great, compared to same type of breakfast in hotels in Rome and Venice - the coffee was terrible.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
Pune, India
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Travelling alone from India to other countries, I try to choose a hotel that is safe, central and friendly. Hotel Alessandra in Florence met – and exceeded – these criteria. Just a few steps from the main square, it was nevertheless located in a quiet area, from where all the museums and churches were within walking distance. Housed in a 16th century building, furnished with charming period pieces, it felt more like a home than a hotel. My single room was clean and comfortable, with a modern bathroom. The breakfast was delicious, especially the steaming hot cappuccino. But the best part was the efficiency, warmth and helpfulness of Andrea and his team at the Reception – his mother Anna and colleague Monti. They made sure I got my entrance tickets, went to the right shops, ate the local food – and caught my flight back despite the early hour. I hope to return to Florence, to see the sights I missed and for the pleasure of staying again at Alessandra.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo