“Travellers on a Budget”
Review of Hotel Columbus

Hotel Columbus
Ranked #383 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I love the fact that it overlooked River Arno and being on the 5th floor, you could have a panaromic view of the place. The view is lovely

It's just around the corner from a bus stop which also was convenient as we came by bus from the train station.

The hotel is dark, they have sensor lights so the light comes on only when you walk which is cost saving but gives it a very dingy feel.

The hotel is in desperate need of a makeover.

Room Tip: Make sure that you room is not anywhere closer to the lift. It makes an annoying noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zenzi N

Reviewed 6 October 2012

We spent 2 nights with our tour group. Not 1 person in the group was happy with this hotel. The only positive about the room was that the AC worked fine. The hotel is old. Not charming old, just old and in desperate need of a remodel or at least a thorough cleaning. The bathrooms and showers are VERY small and also look like they could use a serious scrubbing. Breakfast is very plain with just yogurt, croissants, ham, cheese & cereal. It's at least a 30 minute walk to the city center with not much to see on the way. Check your tour group beforehand to make sure the Columbus is not on your list.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jose C
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed here for 1 night with tour group. First things first:
Location: 30 minute walk to the main centre of Florence, although this hotel is situated right in front of the river, you cant even see it, so you literally feel like you're walking forever and especially under the sun, we were drenched with sweat everytime.
If you are walking back to the hotel at night, beware the sign in lights says HOTEL LUMBUS. We had almost passed it, when we realised we hadnt come across this hotel before, and realised it was our hotel.

Breakfast: Standard and LIMITED, the juices from the machine were watered down

Rooms: first thing when we entered our room, we thought we didnt have a bathroom, but the door was hidden in the back corner. there is no shower curtain so expect to have a wet floor. Beds were comfortable, also had another single bed which was good to store our luggage on top.

There is free wifi but only in the lobby, so at night you'll see everyone in the lobby.

If you do not mind the walking, then go ahead and stay here, but there are perfectly good hotels of better value closer to the main town.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank m_marlee
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Our room was very dusty and we had allergic cough in there. We didn't care about hotels bad location and old age. Bathrooms condition was terrible! There were some water damage and mold. Air conditioning didn't work. Breakfast was poor and old man working in the breakfast room was very insanitary. One diner complained about croissants which were burnt black. The old man took the croissants but turned around before the kitchens door and bring those back. You should see Firenze once in a lifetime but choose an another hotel!

Room Tip: Choose an another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2012

It is a very old hotel, rooms and bathrooms are quite large, but needs renovation urgently.
Breakfast was very poor, basically bread and butter, a spanish lady has her purse stolen in the restaurant with all personal belongings and the Hotel offered no support. Really bad option, avoid it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RinaldoChiesi
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I traveled with my tour group and stayed in Hotel Columbus for 2 days. I really liked the location - just 15 minutes from the city center with Florence sights. I bought accommodation BB, and very like breakfasts - the food was simple but varied and delicious cooked. Hotel staff was friendly. It's true about the fact that the repair was made there for a long time, but inside everything is clean and tidy. Also I was very surprised by the wonderful view from the window of the hotel. I plan another trip in the summer and will definitely stay there!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank ellekler
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Fortunately, I spent only 1 night in the hotel.
I traveled with a tour group and I can say that all the breakfasts in this tour were bad. Though in this hotel the breakfast was almost ok (nothing hot to eat, no eggs, but at least some cheese and ham and pretty good croissants).
The location was fine to me, too. It was about 20 minutes walk to the very center of Florence.

But the room was something terrible. The room number was 212 (I know that it was the same with the room 112). I wouldn't even start complaining if that was only about no hairdrier and no TV set. I could even stand the temperature in the room (it was about 6 C in the street and the wind from the windows was strong enough to chill the room in just one day). But there was no shower (bath, whatever)!!! in the room. And there was no hot water in the tap. At the times when almost no one used hot water in the hotel it reached about may be 33 degrees C (pretty warm, but not hot), but when everybody started using water (like in the morning) the water was just cold.
I don't claim all the rooms were that bad, but I can say for sure about the rooms 112 and 212 and that those rooms had no shower. But every room in the hotel had problems with hot water and temperature in the room.

It was second to worst hotel I've ever seen in my life.

Room Tip: Rooms 112 and 212 don't have a shower. I'd suppose it's the same with all the other floo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo